January 4, 2015
It's been a while since I've had the pleasure of reading a true-blue mystery novel. When I found out that Darkness Follows fit squarely in the NA age range and followed two sisters - I was immediately intrigued. There were so many things I loved about this novel but really, it comes down to great writing. I love the way Emerald intertwined the mystery around these two girls and twisted it from the norm. We usually see the "main character" being the victim or the one being chased and that's not so much the case here. I'm a pretty big fan of "whodunnit" mysteries and I totally did NOT know who the "bad guy" truly was in this novel. And that last page... it left me wanting the next book immediately. Luckily, the second book is out. If it wasn't...I'd have a few choice words for Miss Emerald. Anyway. There's not much I can say plot wise for this book because it IS a mystery and any little hint may spoil it for you. But I do want to say that it's refreshing to come to a NA novel that focuses on mystery and plot rather than sex! Can't wait to read more of Emerald's work and follow her career as an author.
5 people found this helpful