|New stories inspired by books, shows, movies, comics, music, and games people love.
Kindle Worlds for Authors
Kindle Worlds is easy to use. In the Kindle Worlds Self-Service Submission Platform
, you can upload your story easily—along with a title, editorial description, and other information.
- Kindle Worlds accepts novels, novellas, and short stories inspired by the Worlds we have licensed.
- Using our Cover Creator, you can design a cover for your Kindle Worlds story.
- World Licensors have provided Content Guidelines for each World, and your work must follow these Content Guidelines. We strongly encourage you to read the Content Guidelines before you commit the time and effort to write.
- Stories are available in digital format exclusively on Amazon.com, Kindle devices, iOS, Android, and PC/Mac via our Kindle Free Reading apps. We hope to offer additional formats in the future.
- You will receive monthly royalty reports and payments for all copies sold.
Start Writing Now
Here are the details that will help you get started:
- All works accepted for Kindle Worlds will be published by Amazon Publishing.
- Amazon Publishing will pay royalties to the rights holder for the World (we call them World Licensors) and to you. Your standard royalty rate for works of at least 10,000 words will be 35% of net revenue.
- Within Kindle Worlds, Amazon Publishing is piloting an experimental new program for particularly short works (between 5,000 and 10,000 words). For these short stories—typically priced under one dollar—Amazon will pay the royalties for the World Licensor and will pay authors a digital royalty of 20% of net revenue. The lower royalty for these shorter works is due to significantly higher fixed costs per digital copy (for example, credit-card fees) when prices for the entire class of content will likely be under one dollar.
- As with all titles from Amazon Publishing, Kindle Worlds will base net revenue off of customer sales price—rather than the lower industry standard of wholesale price—and royalties will be paid monthly.
- Amazon Publishing will acquire all rights to your new stories, including global publication rights, for the term of copyright.
- Kindle Worlds is a creative community where Worlds grow with each new story. You will own the copyright to the original, copyrightable elements (such as characters, scenes, and events) that you create and include in your work, and the World Licensor will retain the copyright to all the original elements of the World. When you submit your story in a World, you are granting Amazon Publishing an exclusive license to the story and all the original elements you include in that story. This means that your story and all the new elements must stay within the applicable World. We will allow Kindle Worlds authors to build on each other's ideas and elements. We will also give the World Licensor a license to use your new elements and incorporate them into other works without further compensation to you.
- Amazon Publishing will set the price for Kindle Worlds stories. Most are priced from $0.99 through $3.99.