Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 7, 2007, 7:08:56 PM PST
Ay Bee says:
Hi! As a concerned parent, I think it would greatly help out with shopping for Christmas if the site showed the information for each item about WHERE it was made. I'm not particular that a toy has to be made in America, but to know for sure that it wasn't constructed in China and will cause no harm to my toddlers would put my mind at ease, AND earn the company more of my hard earned dollars.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2007, 6:49:56 AM PST
B. de Mil says:
Adrienne, thanks for posting this. I agree with you. I have not bought any toys this holiday season. My gifts for children are clothes, books, movies and music or money. I can no longer buy toys for my dog as well.

No one is addressing our concerns on this matter due to greedy corporations and the politicians who support them. Well, they will not get my money and I hope there are millions of parents who boycott toys along with us!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2007, 4:57:08 PM PST
M. Rolf says:
I would love a section that is "TOYS MADE IN AMERICA" under the search engine. I haven't been able to pick up much that doesn't say "Made in China" and I too question everything. I have a new puppy and most of her dog toys are made in China, who is protecting us and our children?!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2007, 5:08:50 PM PST
S. Hacker says:
I have found if you go directly to the manufacturers websites some of them have "Made in the USA" section. We went off of that to buy our toys this year. i.e. littletykes.com
We are boycotting all non US made toys!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2007, 8:43:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2007, 10:34:15 PM PST
Rommel says:
I am disappointed that amazon has not identified this consumer demand and made available the toys' country of origin. I have bought toys from www.oompa.com The toy selection is limited from toddlers to 5 years old. All toys sold show the country of source. There is also a filter allowing toys by country. Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2007, 9:38:37 PM PST
I also am boycotting all toys from China. I have found some great sites such as www.eurotoyshop.com who list the origin of the toy and offer a lot of toys made in Europe. Amazon excluded this information so I shop for gift ideas then go to another site to find the origin before I purchase it. I hope Amazon listens to its customers and provides this important information in order to allow us to protect our children!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2007, 11:48:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2007, 11:51:58 PM PST
J. Taylor says:
I agree completely, and I've also had a hard time finding the info online. As far as shopping online, I have to give credit to the Discovery Store's website (http://shopping.discovery.com). Each item description includes an information box stating where the item was made. Unfortunately, most of it comes from China, but there are some things that were made here.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2007, 4:18:48 AM PST
Mikkiwikkiie says:
Until consumers recognize this corporations will not change their behavior. That is to maximize their profits and shipping low wage labor overseas.

I too have reduced the toy buying this year to items like 'Melissa & Doug' wooden toys and puzzles. healthytoys.org has a site that shows chemical levels in various brand name toys. I was shocked. I will not put toys in the hands of my children that could potentially be harmful. We all need to return to basics..

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2007, 2:46:10 PM PST
HerMom says:
I agree and I believe that the reason why they don't say where they are made is because they are NOT made in American. I would rather buy less and know my child is safe. I hope manufactors see what we want and start featuring American made toys. Maybe the silver lining on this mess will for American workers and we will see those jobs come back to America. It's a matter of safety with a bonus of American pride. I hope it's possiable. Even "American Girls" aren't made in America. Big surprise - they are owned by Mattel, but how can they legally be called American?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2007, 5:46:32 PM PST
Andi S. says:
Try this for an interesting read: A Year Without "Made in China": One Family's True Life Adventure in the Global Economy by Susan Bongiorni

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2007, 5:48:43 PM PST
Chris says:
Wow..

You guys all live in red states, don't you?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2007, 7:42:03 PM PST
J. Riffle says:
I couldn't be bluer, and I basically agree with everybody here. Corporations in any country only listen to one thing, and it isn't their conscience. The only control we really have any more is to vote with our money. A significant segment of Chinese industry has made it quite clear that they're ready and willing to sell us anything they can get away with. It's time for our reply.

These factories have found ways to produce products that satisfy the more stringent EU requirements, but save the special stuff for us. Our government is not protecting us from the American corporations such as Mattell who don't care what happens as long as the countries they farm our manufacturing out to can turn it out cheap.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2007, 7:59:02 PM PST
In my quest to find safe and fun kids toys, I have found the following website: http://www.thedailygreen.com/environmental-news/latest/500-not-made-in-china-50110507 . Take a look and happy shopping. Hopefully you'll be able to find something that you can all feel good about for a long time to come.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2007, 4:38:12 AM PST
S. Ingram says:
I had this same concern and was very pleased to find that fatbraintoys.com has a link on their home page for MADE IN USA toys. They also show the origin when doing general browsing shopping on the site.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2007, 7:45:48 AM PST
B. de Mil says:
I just happened upon another discussion (while looking for this one) on this site on the same topic. A poster recommended madeintheus.com. I checked it out and there is a huge list of toy makers including phone #'s and websites.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2007, 2:11:38 PM PST
D. Crappell says:
Yes, I was looking all over this site the other day, wanting to purchase an item, but I would like to know if it was made in China before I buy. I wish they would include that info on the page. I also haven't bought any toys for my kids this Christmas, or only made in US toys. It's ridiculous, I know my daughter would love some things, but most of what we bought for her last year ended up on the recall list, so this year, it's books and computer games and educational things. I would NEVER buy another product from China if I could help it. Unfortunately, you would almost need to win the lottery to be able to afford to do that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2007, 5:53:29 PM PST
JERSEYGYRL66 says:
Adrienne,
I feel the same way as you,i've had to cross off 3 gifts off of my list already when i found out that they were made in china!

I don't want no horrible accident to happen to my lil' nieces or nephews,that's why it's already 12/12/07 and i have yet to start shopping for gifts for my family.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2007, 11:48:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2007, 11:50:28 AM PST
If your kids are beyond the teething stage and don't put toys in their mouth, then the recalls for lead paint don't really matter. For lead paint to cause a problem you have to have some means of breaking the paint off and ingesting it and chewing is obviously the most common way.

The first step in resolving this "Made in China" issue is to stop buying products from stores that are "China Friendly." And I'm not talking about just not buying toys, I mean everything. Stop going to W a l - M a r t completely. That would be your best start.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2007, 6:19:52 PM PST
B. de Mil says:
OK, Wiikend, I follow you to a point. The kids I buy toys for are no longer toddlers. However, if a toy, painted with lead paint was somehow damaged which is very likely, the chipped or flaked or damaged in any manner paint might find its way into my beloved child's body or another innocent child when the toy is passed on. You can argue the amount of lead would be negligible in the above scenario. My final point is NO ONE wants children to be at risk of lead paint ingestion no matter the amount while playing with a toy.

I feel it is especially egregious that the health, safety and playful innocence of American children has been sacrificed by the corporate sociopathic "leadership" in the pursuit of monetary profits.

I do have one question. Are there "Made in China" unfriendly stores? I have NEVER felt so victimized since becoming anti "made in China". It is shocking to learn how many products are imported from China. I am feeling strangled by the corporate America & Chinese partnership! Who is reaping the benefits of the partnership? Wiikend, it is not you or me or other parents who I would bet do not agree with your position.

Safe, healthy and happy children are my priority; what is yours?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2007, 10:03:50 PM PST
JagMan says:
Folks, this goes WAY beyond lead toys and other products "Made in China". What it amounts to is deception, and lots of it. They would love for us to believe terrorism is the issue... and it did work for a while. Now the rest of the world hates us (well, our president anyway), we can't travel abroad, and the dollar is rapidly losing its value. Enough with the "We'll bring democracy to your country whether you want it or not" mentality.

American corporations are laying off American at an alarming rate in order to boost stock prices, and allow CEO's to finance new hundred room mansions while many Americans are losing their homes to foreclosure, and cannot even afford healthcare. Sure, new job numbers are up... "Service jobs"... our college graduates will soon be learning how to say "would you like fries with that?" in Chinese... I made $8 an hour (to start) 30 years ago at a supermarket... are they making make that now? possibly, but not very likely... What's wrong with this picture? You cannot tell me we're making progress folks! You cannot tell me the issue is about terrorism or national security! We've lost it... we've lost our economic infrastructure, our dignity, and our pride. But we can take our country back by making a statement "we're not going to take it anymore"... and commit to becoming "anti Made in China" like B. Miller... but we need to make it known! Spread the word! And remember... November 2008 can't come soon enough!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2007, 12:33:06 AM PST
SmoothSailor says:
Well then, unless you boycott china for ALL products, you will eventually
be seen as hypocritical by your kids. If you really take stock of what you own,
99% of it will have some aspect of it Made in China (or somewhere else). Clothing, Ties, pots, car parts, audio equipment/mp3 players... it is all foreign even if it is an American "brand" and SO WHAT- as long as it contributes to a higher quality of life in the end.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2007, 7:48:20 AM PST
TriciaB says:
This whole problem is part of the "Walmartization" of America. When Walmart started, and of course, Sam was alive, one of the main selling points of Walmart was to keep jobs in America. I remember posters in the store that informed me how many American jobs were saved by Walmart carrying an American made brand instead of a foreign made brand.
I walked into a KB toy store in a Columbus, Ohio mall and asked what they had in the store that was made in America. The manager told me that they only had 2 things that fit into that category. One was a slinky, the other was silly string. I informed him that I wouldn't be shopping there anymore and walked out.
There are not too many toys made in America but they are out there. American plastics is one of the companies I found.
I will boycott toys that are made in China for my toddler.. and if a 3 yr old considers me a hypocrit, then so be it. I also wish Amazon would list country of production for all products. If it is a necessity and there are no other options, then of course, I would buy foreign made items. If there is a choice and an American made item is available, I do buy American.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2007, 8:44:53 PM PST
R. Nath says:
In reality, you could go to an older home and lick the paint on the walls and MAYBE get lead poisoning. The concentration of lead in these products is lower then licking paint off the walls, so to speak.

That being said, in this era of knee jerk reactions, I as a parent would like to see the "Made In Country XXX" listed on Amazon as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2007, 10:03:58 PM PST
Prosey says:
It seems it has taken at least more than a decade for this "knee-jerk reaction era" to manifest. However long, I'm just glad it did. Sometimes quality really does have to be important. I've read these posts with delight to know that my mother and I are not alone in the boycott. Christmas for my daughter will have many more books, and a pet bunny, and some old-fashioned board games. She's excited most about the rabbit. Defective and easily broken toys never have been things we've purchased, simply because those bright, flashy, colorful, electronic and noisy toys often just have "that look" that foretells future disappointment.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2007, 11:51:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2007, 12:21:44 AM PST
JagMan says:
You're right C Rosengarten! 99% of it will have some aspect of it made in China... "or somewhere else" (emphasis on the somewhere else). If you look hard enough you will find many products made in the U.S., and Europe as well. And it's not just an issue of "looking around and acknowledging the fact that most everything is made in China... we know that now after all of us have at one time or another rolled our eyes while reading the "Made in China" print on just about everything sold in retail stores in America. But I think it's more a matter of making "good" or "bad" choices... choices that require a bit of thought as opposed to the preferred method... the lazy alternative... Wal-Mart (of which we're all guilty). My wife and I just purchased some Wusthof knives at Amazon.com. Made in Germany, and five times the price of most other brands made in China, but you cannot compare the quality... and when you throw "ethics" into the equation it makes a difference. The ethics part is what drives us. It's not a higher quality of life that is the driving force when making decisions like these, but rather exercising some thought about how it impacts other people's lives... in a big way. If we as Americans would simply take some time to think about what affects things have on us (and the rest of the world) we would be much better off...

I'm please that most everyone here is in agreement with the Made in China issue... but we Americans have many other challenges (which I won't mention... perhaps later :-), but it's certainly encouraging for my wife and I to know that others feel the same... we CAN make a difference...
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  34
Total posts:  39
Initial post:  Dec 7, 2007
Latest post:  Dec 31, 2007

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

This discussion is about
Sonic Rivals 2 - Sony PSP
Sonic Rivals 2 - Sony PSP by Sega of America, Inc. (Sony PSP)
4.4 out of 5 stars (22)