Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl National Bike Month on Amazon toystl17_gno
Customer Discussions > Gillian Flynn forum

A Found a Mistake in Dark Places!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 2, 2009, 3:24:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 2, 2009, 3:25:02 PM PDT
Fresh Pie says:
*No Spoilers*

This is a book, which is told mostly from three different perspectives, the Mother's and her two children. It also plays up the family name, Day and it is used and referred to throughout the story. Around page 103, the Mother refers to HER parents by name, who's farm she took over with her then husband "Runner Day". She refers to them also having the last name "Day", what?
Her maiden name is the same as her married name? She later refers to her father again as "Ed Day". I started thinking there would be some weird incest twist in the story ... but no.
Much later in the book, her unmarried sister declares her last name to be "Krause". The same sister, that grew up on the same farm with the same parents? So obviously the author made a mistake... her parents would have been named "Krause" not "Day".
I am just surprised to not see any mention of this anywhere and that no editor caught it. I found it really distracting, since I thought there must be something else to the story. I have looked on the Random House site but can not really find a good way to contact the editorial department... did anyone else notice this? Did I miss something somehow?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2010, 9:23:55 AM PST
E says:
Nah, you just found an error - nothing more to it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2010, 3:17:41 PM PDT
dillon says:
I found a mistake in your title for this discussion.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2010, 5:56:50 PM PST
Chris Markle says:
I see what you did there.

Posted on Jul 31, 2012, 7:21:18 PM PDT
Cmac says:
I never saw it so it didn't bother me. I've read it twice in 3 years and still didn't pick it up. I am usually a much more meticulous reader and do get bothered by errors especially one that would affect the plot. Sharp Objects though is one of my top 5 books ever. I love her writing style and have read her 3 novels. Still loved Sharp Objects best.

Posted on Jul 31, 2012, 7:29:59 PM PDT
Fresh Pie says:
Gillian actually emailed me and told me that I was the 2nd person to discover this mistake, the first being her french editor. She was very nice and I believe it has since been corrected, so it is possible your copy was fixed. I liked it a lot too. Am reading Gone Girl now. Really enjoying it as well.

Posted on Aug 12, 2012, 7:52:25 AM PDT
I noticed it, too! Great book though

Posted on Aug 12, 2012, 4:42:41 PM PDT
Tim says:
I noticed it too and thought it was strange. Patty and her sister's last name was Krause.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012, 9:21:46 PM PDT
ViAmber says:
Octochick, I am glad I'm not the only person to pick up on authors' goofs in their books!! It IS distracting and not "just an error." They and their editorial staff should know better. I'm finding this to be the case more and more with prominent authors. It's hard to get in touch with anyone who will respond so I'm glad she wrote you back! Go Gillian! I love her writing.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012, 6:22:05 PM PDT
Janie says:
Ater seeing this discussion, I had to go check my copy and it actually refers to her parents as Ed and Ann Krause. I'm assuming the copy was changed when the error was discovered. I read at least two books a week and it never ceases to amaze me how many typos get by in published books - sometimes multiple typos in one book!!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2013, 6:08:09 PM PST
sherry says:
great catch

Posted on Mar 11, 2013, 7:27:50 PM PDT
Just finished Gone Girl and loved it. I really enjoyed the authors style. Looking forward to reading her other two books.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2013, 5:35:03 AM PDT
who's or whose?

Posted on May 6, 2013, 4:54:12 PM PDT
Heather says:
I noticed it also. There was the big thing about being asked if they were Irish with the red hair n such. But she had said no Krause its German & means curly haired (if I'm remembering correctly) This has been driving crazy. Lol. I loved the book but this is the 1st place I've found a discussion about it. Even when reading the book I went back to re-read in case I missed something. Oh well. Mistakes happen I suppose. Still love Ms. Flynn!

Posted on May 29, 2013, 5:10:10 PM PDT
Moon Goddess says:
Yeah, well, who doesn't make mistakes?

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2013, 4:46:20 AM PDT
Janie says:
You're right - everyone makes mistakes. The difference is that authors have paid proofreaders that are employed by the publisher to find and eliminate errors and mistakes in manuscripts. I agree that people have mercilessly picked apart the mistakes in this book. It's probably just because they didn't care for the book and it's something to focus on.

Posted on May 30, 2013, 8:48:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 30, 2013, 8:56:49 AM PDT
Fresh Pie says:
Hey Deborah,
I am the original poster for this thread, a post made almost 4 years ago I might add. Long before the release of Gone Girl, which made Gillian a much better known author and the reason I think people keep reviving this old thread. I think saying the book was "mercilessly picked apart" is a bit strong. I only pointed out one error (but a big one imo) and I don't think I had ever seen one quite like it. You are right, this was the kind of mistake you would think an editor or proofreader would & should discover. I did liked the book very much (otherwise I would not have bothered to post about it at all or to email they author) but this error made the story confusing and I was just curious if anyone else noticed it and felt the same. Which some did... but most impressive to me was that Gillian took the time to reply to me... very classy. People should also note that the error has since been fixed, again this was 4 years ago!!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2013, 1:14:09 PM PDT
Janie says:
Really, I'm sorry if I in any way offended you - I certainly didn't mean to. And that particular error you talked about wasn't even in my book so I'm guessing the publisher corrected it. What triggered me to use the phrase I did, was the fact that other people kept commenting on it long after you stated it! Unfortunately, I absolutely did not like any of Gillian's books. I read them all thinking maybe I would get into her style of writing, but I never did. I'm glad you enjoyed reading them, though.

Posted on May 30, 2013, 1:33:26 PM PDT
Fresh Pie says:
No worries Deborah! I did not take any offense, just want to clarify. I think most people do not realize how old this thread is. I can also understand how you might not get into her books, they are certainly not for everyone. Bravo for you for trying, regardless you clearly are a dedicated reader. I use to always finish a book, even if I hated it. However as I've gotten older, I realize life really is too short and no longer force myself to finish. It was a lovely revelation!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2013, 2:36:32 PM PDT
Rebecca says:
hahahah

Posted on Aug 15, 2013, 9:12:45 AM PDT
Peter Robinson (author) said in an interview that authors do not appreciate readers pointing out their mistakes. What's done is done.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2013, 12:04:34 PM PDT
bababa says:
"the Mother refers to HER parents by name, who's farm she took over with her then husband "Runner Day". Also an error here. "Who's" should be "whose." We all make mistakes.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2014, 6:59:17 PM PST
Here, Here, I'm noticing this more and more which makes one wonder at the need for proofreaders or editors. aren't they supposed to catch these errors? I'm obviously not the only one bothered by this.

Posted on Jul 7, 2015, 7:00:25 PM PDT
I know this is an old comment thread, but the version of the book I'm reading includes the error and it bothered me enough to go searching the Web about it. I wanted to be sure it was a mistake so I wouldn't get twisted up about a nonexistent plot twist. I'm glad I found this thread, but am so perplexed by the defensive tone in some of the responses.

Of course errors like this do occur and often make it into print, but they shouldn't. This is actually symptomatic of the declining publishing industry and our instant gratification society. Publishers no longer can afford the cost of good, thorough editing, much to the dismay of many broke, unemployed editors. From the mouth of an editor, I cringe every time I see an editorial error. We are very much in a disposable world.

Posted on Jul 13, 2015, 7:00:17 PM PDT
Megan V. says:
I'm YEARS late on this but I'm in page 332 and she writes "you're who's sister?". Should be "whose" there, too lol.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gillian Flynn forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Jun 2, 2009
Latest post:  Jul 13, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers