BCA Month Beauty altText This Week in Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now FFII_gno

on September 5, 2014
In short, The Matrix Reader offers a wealth of insight on the intersection of race, sexuality, gender, class, and diversity, but I do not believe the book warrants a price of nearly $100. The text is a diverse collection of thoughts and ideas (e.g., essays, research papers, poetry, and data tables) from a multitude of sources.

Reader is not a linear book. Instead, each chapter, written by a different author, is devoted to a different subject, drawing from a broad range of topics. The writers come from a host of backgrounds, and each unique perspective reveals a different approach on how to analyze the sociological and historical factors that have shaped the modern dynamics of oppression, power, privilege, inequality, and prejudice. As the book makes clear, many of the forces playing influential roles in our lives often operate in secrecy and behind closed doors that many are wholly unaware of. The text is designed to bring such phenomenon into the collective consciousness.

Additionally, a large chunk of the book is devoted toward the benefits of diversity, the means to cultivate diversity in organizations, and suggestions for becoming agents of social change.

My only critique of this book is that it tends to make prescriptions for change in broad sweeping generalizations, which can often take away from the individual’s role in shaping their own experiences in a multicultural society. Furthermore, by categorizing all people as either “privileged” or “oppressed” tends to over-simplify very complicated and multifaceted issues. Many of the chapters in The Matrix Reader suggest that external and environmental factors are wholly responsible for the personal experience at the expense of individual autonomy.

I read this book as part of a graduate seminary course on leading diverse organizations and found it to be quite thought provoking, to say the least.
on March 6, 2017
Looked wonderful. I could save 50% by renting; however, KINDLECLOUD cannot open so i cannot read this in my office as i cannot get the app downloaded on the office computer
on April 12, 2017
Its going to help me pass my class so I'm happy.
on June 21, 2017
As described.
on September 1, 2017
The quality of the book was decent but be weary of the return dates. I got charged $246 dollars to "purchase" the book, which is way more than it is worth.
on September 30, 2017
really good book, I needed it for school but I enjoy reading it on kindle for leisure as well
on March 16, 2015
I had to have the book for an interim class that I took. There are tons of articles, and most of them are very dry and hard to read, but its actually a bargain if you absolutely have to have it.
on November 12, 2016
This is a required textbook but I have enjoyed the variety of authors and essay topics
on August 29, 2015
I rented this box for a Sociology class. While my interaction with Amazon was excellent I must say that you need to be aware that this book talks and deals with race from a very one sided view. Among some hot button topics, "Everyone is racist" and there is nothing you can do to prevent this. Also "Individualism by whites only contributes to racial divides". This book has many very absolute statements that do not directly reflect the reality of society. At first I thought it was just me not getting what the authors were trying to say. But in the margins of this rental books were comments and sections highlighted by two different previous renters pointing out the exact things I have mention. I was just glad to not be the only one who noticed how one sided the letter were that were chosen by the editors. If you have to get the book. Allow a lot of time to read it... and scratch your head in the process.
on September 22, 2013
The book was not in as good as shape as it sounded. But I can still read it, and the shipping was much faster then everyone else.