Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Taking Sides: Clashing Views on Political Issues
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

on October 7, 2009
This book is required reading for my Intro to American Politics class, and I found it to be an interesting read. It contains 23 current issues such as Health Care Reform and Affirmative Action, and includes articles from authors on both sides of the argument. It attempts to present a fair argument for both sides of the issue and in general succeeds. For those who would like to learn about some of the current issues being debated without being subjected to talk radio opinion, this book is a balanced look at some of the important issues facing American citizens today.
on November 16, 2012
My husband originally purchased this book for an undergraduate world politics class, but I happened to pick it up to read, and have ended up using it for Honors American Government and AP American Government and Politics classes.

The Taking Sides series consists of several books on many different topics. Each topic includes an introduction to the topic, a reading for both the pro and con sides of the argument, and then an "Exploring the Issue" section that can include critical thinking questions, a discussion on whether or not common ground can be reached on the topic, and additional resources.

This text is a great option for my AP American Government and Politics class, as part of the curriculum includes arguments for and against major current political issues. The texts are professional and in many cases from well-known scholars on the topic. This reading could be more difficult for students in less-advanced government courses, but with a little assistance from the instructor, most students could work with this text. It looks like a great option for fulfilling Common Core requirements.
on July 20, 2012
I bought this for a college course. I'm not a big politics guy so it was pretty boring to me but to anyone interested in debates of that nature this is probably a great find. It takes a number of hot-button issues, gives a summary of the topic, and run downs of each side and their arguments. I don't know if anyone would want to sit and read it but having a hard copy to reference can be handy. Well written but not an easy read to the average person. I'm giving it a 4/5 because it's a bit dry and technical for me, that likely is different for someone interested in law and politics more than a software engineer like me.
on September 20, 2010
This edition of Taking Sides is a wonderful look at the conflicting views that hold sway over American Politics. If you are one that loves to debate and to talk about politics then you should pick up this book. If you are a teacher and am looking for a book to encourage healthy debate and a broadening of view points this is the perfect book for your class. If you are a homeschool family then this is a must read, it does a wonderful job defining the opposing viewpoints and allowing the reader to pick which side they agree with and disagree with. I hope you enjoy this book as much as I have.
on December 29, 2012
This series should be in high schools and colleges alike. It's excellent and forces the reader to look at their opponent's view points in order to better understand differing opinion/thoughts/etc.
on February 27, 2012
I bought a used book for class and i was surprised to see in the perfect condition it was in. The book is like brand new!!!!!
on December 19, 2011
book in good condition and very resonably price especially if you have a budget like all of us going to school will recommend
on December 3, 2012
The best decision for a textbook. I recommend this Kindle book highly! I didn't have one issue with this purchase.
on September 16, 2014
It was a college book for my daughter, it came in very good condition.
on October 4, 2015
I have no idea regarding this book as it's for my granddaughter.