Oil month Automotive HPC Rebound Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on February 22, 2012
I transferred schools and I needed Chemistry: The Central Science for Chem II. The class listed that I needed the 12th edition but they also gave us Mastering Chemistry for free so I figured would just use the E-Book. It turned out to be a pain so about five weeks into the semester I decided I needed a hard copy of the book and decided to check the difference between editions. These are literally the same book with exception to Ch. 22 & 23 in 11E and Ch. 23 in the 12E. Most of Ch.23 in 12E is Ch. 23 with parts of Ch. 22 in 11E, you just have to know where you are supposed to be. Also Ch.25 in 11E is Ch.24 in 12E.

Even all of the end of chapter exercises are the same in 11E as 12E just numbered differently and some in different order, but all within the same section. There are some that vary slightly, usually just values, but I'd say 97% are the same. Not all of the sample questions are identical either throughout the chapter but most are.

This is a great chemistry book, it is very easy to read and understand and if you put in the work you will see results. Buy the Student's Guide and Solutions To Exercises (all exercises) and you will have no problems with this course.

LASTLY: BUY 11e OVER 12e!!!!!! I paid just under $40 TOTAL (including shipping) for the 11e text, Student's Guide, and Solutions To Exercises (all exercises). These books would run me almost $500 at the university bookstore and probably $300 by looking around online.
66 comments| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 6, 2016
I had to buy the online access again because the one that comes in the book does not work for my school even after I sent the link to my professor and asked about that before ordering.
Pearson Mastering Chemistry is Absolutely the worst interface ever. Even within a single chapter assignment there is discrepancy in their values. they are not consistent and obviously hired a programmer who has never taken a science class in their life to make the software. Professor said he contacted Pearson and the basically told him TOO BAD! I talked to other professors who agree and refuse to use the online assignments with Pearson texts
on April 24, 2015
This hard book is GOOD for those who are new to general chemistry because it is full of information and it doesn't assume you know this like some authors and publishers. It is best to buy this book online instead of a bookstore (college) because you'll pay more. This book also has illustrations to help you, and it will be used for the full one year of general chemistry. I think this book is one of the best books I had while completing my undergraduate degree. I don't think buyers would be disappointed if bought. Even years after graduating, I still think about this book in terms of the straight-forward information it gives. I hope future buyers will agree.
on January 30, 2018
This book has became a part of my life. I love how its written, how they make sure we are understanding checkpoints, how they explain concepts, how the concepts apply to the real world, how it encourages you to design experiments, how it provides chapter summaries and section summaries, and most importantly, the amount of problems that are given. The authors place huge emphasis on solving problems to become proficient in chemistry. This book and Professor Finneran are responsible for why I became a Chemistry major.

Thank you Dr Brown, Dr Lemay, Dr Bursten, Dr Murphy, Dr Woodward, Dr Stoltzfus, and Dr Finneran.
on February 21, 2013
I needed a chemistry text that would allow me to review the concepts. Some of the well-known texts are great but somehow not really friendly to the non-student who's reading it on his or her own. I agree with one of the reviews that says that this book is a little "chatty," but I think that helps make it more readable for self-study. The order in which concepts are presented helps make the more technical aspects (stoichiometry, electronegativity trends, orbitals, etc) more relevant by the time you arrive at them. The numerous worked examples are wonderful to help with understanding, especially for the non-student, who doesn't have homework, teachers, or grades forcing me to work all of the problems. (I know that's the way you really learn this stuff, so for students out there--your chem teacher is absolutely right that doing the problems is the only way to gain a true understanding.) If I were in a class, I might prefer a text like Brown & LeMay, which is more tightly written and feels more informationally dense. But this one, with its breezy, narrative writing style, suits my needs just fine.
on April 12, 2013
I like how this solutions manual has the steps to each problem written out clearly so that I can understand how and why a problem was solved in the manner it was. I recommend this to anyone who is using the main text.

Some people may not know this, but there is a Solutions to Black Exercises for Chemistry out there as well. It's a shame you can't buy/rent one book with all the solutions.
11 comment| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 11, 2018
This is a wonderful book, and I'm halfway through it. We used it for my Chem 1 and Chem 2 class, and being able to find the book at an affordable price with fast and cheap shipping was a godsend for someone who doesn't get financial aid.
There are tips on how to remember things throughout the book, as well as practice problems, and comprehension testers to see if you recall important information throughout the chapter.
I may or may not be biased, as a chem major, so keep that in mind, and think what you will, but I found most of the book to be an easy read and wonderful at explaining things I never understood before.
on June 7, 2017
OK I really struggle with Chemistry, and all other books demolish my interest usually with the first few sentences, THIS BOOK, HOWEVER, I'm tempted to buy it completely because it cracks me up. The author(s) are extremely sarcastic at times and tell vivid stories that have left me howling with laughter and holding my stomach. It's definitely made it easier to read, and more enjoyable. Thus far, my favorite note of sarcasm is how they feel about calculators, and my favorite story is the Nitric Acid one by the scientist in 1901.
on December 17, 2016
5 stars because I love the a la cart format. I don't love have 5 star love for college chemistry. But seriously being able to take only the chapter I need to class with me lightened the load in my backpack. I organized into semester 1 and semester 2 using 4" binders and then collated my notes, quizzes, etc with the individual chapters made it much easier to study. The cheaper price helps too.
on January 29, 2016
The book is laid out in the normal sequence providing the learner with a good foundation. The chapter questions are well written and are challenging however, the answers provided help determine progress. In comparison, this book is very similar to the later editions with minor variations.