Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. Get 10% back on select Bang & Olufsen products Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon howardsend howardsend howardsend  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now SWMTVT18_gno

Corporate Computer and Network Security (2nd Edition)
Format: Paperback|Change
Price:$98.70+ $3.99 shipping

on November 13, 2012
The book is not that useful. It has some information but the subjects are told very very slowly. You can just summarize the book in 10 pages or so. Useless...
on May 23, 2009
The Product was exactly what I needed and expected! great seller would do business again any time!
on February 11, 2011
I needed this book in 2 days and the seller got it to me in 2 days. The seller even called me to get some important details. Yes, you did read that correctly I actually talked to a real person who actually cared about the customer. Simply amazing, from now on I will always got to this seller first. Oh yes the book was exactly how he described it.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 26, 2008
While I can appreciate the need for a grounding in the basics of computer security the author goes about it poorly. The book layout on first pass seems passable with gratuitous usage of charts and visuals, but as the reader goes through the actual information you begin to realize that much of the information is rehashed in various forms. If you were to cut out the added redundancy, the book would be two-thirds it current size.

I also agree with a previous reviewer that some of the information seems a bit contrived or made-up in terms of modern day lingo use. The "drive by hacking" descrip the author uses in chapter two is accurate, but is more prevalently known as wardriving but the author does not identify that to the reader.

One thing the author does do well is reinforce concepts through questions that are interspersed throughout each chapter as well as "Thought questions" at the end of them. This being a first edition, I hope that subsequent editions are improved especially considering the price of the text. As book alternatives, Network Security Bible (basic level) and Security Warrior (intermediate) are good reads at a more palatable price.
on March 18, 2006
I just finished reading this one and I found it to be very helpful for a person trying to find management level understanding of security, I have been working with networking and security for the last 10 years of my life and it has been very helpful to pinpoint several management aspects that technology savvy people (I prefer that over geek) usually don't follow or look at. I enjoyed the explanations, everything was very easy to read and understand, the introduction to cryptography is simply one of the best I have found out there. Again, if you are a technical guru looking for technical advice there is no much use to it in this book, OS, Networks and other practitioner level stuff are not well defined, simply mentioned for reference or examples. Another part I liked about it was the level of detail that the author had to reference the attacks and statistics, which a lot of us love to read and know about. Finally, make sure to get edition 5 of the book, I am referring to edition 4, I am sure that there is a lot to cover in a couple years regarding security and the way to go about it. I got the book from the university package so I wont be getting the new one, it's simply overpriced in my opinion.
on November 14, 2003
In Information Security it is about how well one could manage the tools and security resources at hand. Author is able to present an excellent picture of how important security policies and management pratices are for any organisation. Technologies change so rapidly that it is hard for any book to keep up with them but a book like this would be useful for Information Security professional in any era as its concepts are generic.
on January 20, 2005
I purchased a copy of this book for a network security class. In a way it has been a great read, for humor. The terms and programs are dated at best, made up at worst. An example, 'drive-by hacking,'I have NEVER seen this anywhere. It is commonly refered to as 'war driving,' showing its lineage to 'war dialing' or 'Snooping'. I have worked in IT security for the past 3 years and I find this book insulting. But, for a plus, it is a convenent size to use as a clip board, and it does hold papers down on my desk well.
on October 6, 2010
I read a few different books while preparing for the Security+ test, and this one is the best of the bunch. The book really matches up to the Security+ objectives well. I have nothing to say but good things about this book. I would recommend it to anyone fixing to take the Security+ test or just entering computer security.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 1, 2003
This is an excellent book talking about the up to date issues about security. The book is very organized and concise, allowing readers to follow the author's concept easily. The "Test Your Understanding" sections within each chapter are good tools for readers to recap their understandings. This book is highly recommended.
Ruidi Chu
on November 5, 2004
This is an excellent book -- really gives you a security mindset. Informative, yet still an easy read. The only think I didn't like is the price of the book -- but I bought it using a coupon from UnderTag.com, so it ended up being a bargain for me!