Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 189 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 213 reviews
on September 10, 2007
This dictionary is very easy to read, especially for people whom English is a 2nd language, like myself. It uses very simple words to describe the new words.

The Thesaurus is right under the word, you can read it with the word without checking another section in the dictionary. It's very convenient and usable.

And the program on the CD is so easy to use. It does require you to put the CD in a CD-drive and will check for it. But what's the problem? There are many other much more expensive audio editing programs that's doing similar things.

The dictionary contains only 50K words. A little less compared to other dictionary. But this also makes it small and light enough to be portable.

I wish I knew and had bought this dictionary when I first came to the States some twenty years ago.

Highly recommended, especially for people whom English is their 2nd language.

<more comments after a few weeks of ownership>
There is an issue with the dictionary. The dictionary does not have enough words for my daily use. Sometime even my third-grader cannot find the words she looked for from her text book. This caused major inconvenience and I'm switching to Oxford.
on August 16, 2014
Very practical, Nothing is better than it, I have recomended to many friends. I came from Cuba three years and half ago, I am a Dentist, therefore I've got to wait 6 years to obtain a permission to leave from my country, I superseded the six years for a vice by studying English with the previous edition, and increased incredibly my lexic and other skills that only this dictionary could bring me about, as the practical use, spoken phrases and expressions, precisely about American English, what better? At arriving USA I signed up in REVEST course,I hah congratulations, I only was a few time, the CD-ROM consummates the uniqueness of this dynamic "course" shaped like a "dictionary", it is much more than a dictionary, surely; I am teaching in an Institute and I systematically recommend to my pupils. I aim to order another issue to send to my son in Cuba.
on June 1, 2012
I have to agree with all of the other reviewers here. After a lot of research, I came to the same conclusion: this is a great book to recommend to ESL learners who are of Intermediate to Advanced level. NOTE: This is a heavy dictionary, not one to carry to and from class every day. Best to keep as a classroom resource or a home reference.

It's also the cheapest of the Longman Dictionaries at this level (newer versions are $50). This 4th edition, with CD-ROM, is from 2008 and is just fine. For $3 dollars less, you can purchase this book without the CD-ROM (ISBN: 978-0132449809), but that would be a silly choice. Even if a student doesn't have a home computer now (and many of my students do not), he will likely have one in the future.

There is also a Basic Dictionary of American English by Longman (ISBN: 978-0132449809) for almost the same price (minus the CD). It is half the size/thickness/weight, but the definitions are too sparse; it doesn't offer enough explanations or examples for students. Still, if your students are really low-level, the "Longman Dictionary of American English, 4th Edition (paperback with CD-ROM)" might be too challenging.
on December 29, 2011
I bought this dictionary because I am a special education teacher and heard that this dictionary is good for ELL students as well as special education students. It is a very interesting new way of defining words. It uses simple informative language and doesn't send the searcher all over its pages to get the actual definition. Its pronunciation key is VERY different from other dictionaries and is a bit too complicated because it differentiates the sounds of diphthongs very specifically. But overall I like it.
on July 14, 2013
What others slagged on this dictionary for is what makes it so great. Definitions are simple. It's easy to read. Unlike some other dictionaries, you don't look up a word only to find the definition has a word or words in it you need to look up, also.

Also, unlike some other very well known dictionaries, you won't find two words being used as definitions for each other, giving you a loop that really says nothing. Of course, the types who fancy themselves "educated" (and have some arrogance about it) will want a more complicated dictionary to support their egos and keep themselves immersed in a sea of glib misunderstanding they like to mislabel as sophistication or intelligence. If this is you, DON"T BUY THIS DICTIONARY!

That said, I kind of wish I'd bought the advanced version, for a greater number of definitions. Also, you should keep a larger dictionary on hand, as this one won't have every word or definition you're looking for at times, but for what it does have, it keeps things simple and easy enough for anyone.
on September 1, 2016
Now I got this dictionary , it's perfect , it's 9/10 new and no CD,but it's ok for me. If you want a dictionary to help ESL students, choose this!
on October 12, 2015
The dictionary does have some odd symbols and pronunciation keys, not usual for an average American dictionary, which could cause a confusion to most American students. I think they use the International Phonetic Alphabet.
on October 3, 2016
Purchased item for my little sis who lived in Puerto Rico. It helped her through high school and college.
on February 27, 2011
I've been teaching ESL for decades, and this latest Longman English-English dictionary for intermediate English learners is the best I've seen, hands down. It includes color-coding to highlight the most common words, simple and accurate definitions, clear pronunciation and up-to-date usage notes, a concise grammar section, an etymological section of word roots for the curious, and a beautifully illustrated color mini picture dictionary. It's not cheap, and weighs in at 2.6 lbs. even in paperback, but I tell my students it offers much more than an electronic dictionary can, and they will use it for years and years.
on August 26, 2017