Your Garage World Book Day STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts Book House Cleaning Bosch Bosch Bosch  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 20 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 26 reviews
on September 22, 2008
I was hoping this book would be the MAGIC book to help me even understand the BASICS of statistics. It didn't! I must just be a mathmatically challenged individual that there is no hope for. My husband (who is very good with numbers) told me this was a good book. So, I guess if you are good with math, this book will help you. But, if you are like me there is no hope for you!!!
on August 1, 2006
This book is a good introduction to the topic and served me well when I needed a refresher on statistical concepts. Without rehashing comments made by other reviewers, the only shortfalls for me was that structural equation modeling and psychological society reporting guidelines for reporting anova, regression, etc was not covered. While some may consider these advanced concepts (beyond a book of basic stats), APA guidelines or at least generic reporting guidelines are explained in other books, some within a similar price range. It would have greatly extended the relevance of this book to psychology students, particularly at the undergraduate level. As it stands, I'd recommend it as more suitable for undergraduate students of business studies than the social sciences.
on May 19, 2010
This book tries to break down statistics into an understandable format, but I learn best by doing. While the book has sample problems for you to work out, the answers do not come with explanations, so if you didn't get it right the first time, you have no idea where you went wrong.
on April 19, 2012
I downloaded this for free in the Kindle edition as I was interested in (re)learning some statistics.

The first thing I noticed was the book is horribly formatted. A number of places the embedded formatting commands are displayed. There are chapter numbers and paragraph numbers, but the way different levels of headings are formatted don't make it real obvious what level one is at. A lot of key words are capitalized and bolded in a font that makes them stand out more than the section headings that are smaller and lower case. Overall, the way the book is formatted makes it hard for me to follow.

I went back to it several times hoping for something out of it that would be helpful to me, but it was not to be. I think the formatting issues are almost insurmountable for me. It made the content all but impossible for me to deal with.

It seems like a good idea that maybe a decent editor could reformat and make more usable, but in its current form I am not going to spend any more time on it.
on March 9, 2013
I had to buy this book for a class. It is just not well written. I am three chapters in and have found multiple formula errors. It makes studying more difficult when the example that is supposed to explain a concept is referring to another concept or doesn't work out mathematically. I use this to find out what the teacher wants for the assignments and I use another book to clarify the concepts this one is trying to explain.
on December 18, 2011
The book is factual and if you can wade through it, useful. The writing has a social/political attitude, which is slightly annoying. But the problem with the book is that it starts by giving about 20 words for which you must memorize the definitions assigned to them within this specific profession or discipline, which is not the common English definition. A good editor who also knows how to write could turn this into a real gem by starting with examples and pivoting off those to an explanation of what the various elements are and how they affect each other. But I admire and respect anyone who can write a book and I applaud the author.
on July 24, 2013
this book was not very helpful for me in my statistics class. I would not recommend this book to someone who is not math savvy or hasn't had math since high school.
on July 2, 2013
Let's just say it's been awhile since I've taken Statistics in college.

Yet, I often use stats (descriptive) at work. In fact, I was recently thrusted into an analytical role at my job. Therefore, I desperately need a Stats primer. Enter "Even You Can Learn Statistics." The authors do a fantastic job weaving all aspects of descriptive and inferential stats in less than 300 pages. Furthermore, the book is chockfull of examples and definitions. The authors explain how to work each problem longhand, calculator, and via a spreadsheet.
Indeed, there's a lot of info to digest, but the authors slowly walk you through each steps (no drinking from a firehouse). Each chapter ends with a summary and quiz (to test your knowledge).

As Big Data becomes more prevalent, statistics—especially the inferential kind—will become a required skill. Buy the book. If nothing else, you'll become a quant by default. #stayrelevant
on June 10, 2013
I thought I was doing well until I came to the self-test at the end of Chapter One. About half of the questions dealt with definitions. "Hmmm," I thought. "Maybe I just wasn't paying attention." So I went back and re-read the chapter, to find that the section dealing with definitions: continuous variable, categorical variable, etc - was completely missing.

This was a free Kindle download. "You get what you pay for" is a familiar adage, and, even though I've gotten many free Kindle books that I've loved, this will teach me to check the reviews carefully first. What a waste of time.
on January 4, 2014
It very clearly explains statistical concepts in a way that's easy to understand and not textbook fashion.
The best part is the worked out examples and also explaining the reason why you apply certain concepts