Truck Reviews HPC Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on February 1, 2016
I was looking for a grammar book for my son in middle school. There are so many grammar workbooks out there, & I have certainly been an enthusiastic consumer of them. Some of them have been helpful, others have languished on my bookshelf with only a few pages done. This book I bought because it looked a little similar to what I used in junior high, & after I received it, I realized I did indeed use one of the Warriner editions decades ago. The textbook is really old-school, which was what I wanted. It really breaks down everything & teaches the basics, plus usage and writing.

Somehow it has become unfashionable to teach grammar at school these days, but the kids are expected to be able to write in high school (without being properly taught!). I used this book and became able to write, & I'm hoping it will be the case with my son. The only drawback is that this is not in a workbook style (more like a textbook) so I really have to do it with him, rather than have him work independently. But if you don't mind spending the time, this book is great for those searching for an old-school grammar curriculum.
6 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on March 7, 2016
More in-depth and straight-forward than its contemporary analogues, this is an excellent grammar reference. I would recommend it to anyone; it's great as a textbook and as a simple reference. I'm using it to pass vocational English tests and quickly improve my editing skills. The lack of solutions to the exercises is the only aspect of this book with which I'm dissatisfied. The exercises are useful anyhow. I haven't used the sections on composition or entrance exams, so I cannot comment on them.

It is an old book, so it isn't printed with a lot of color or key terms set apart in fancy boxes. The first five parts at least seem best studied in sequence, as they build up from the parts of speech to writing documents.

This book covers grammar beyond the basic level, but when I needed even more in-depth information (on fine points of the use of brackets and hyphens), I was able to find it in the Chicago Manual of Style.
6 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
I teach English and needed something that went back to old-school grammar for some students whose parents wanted them to diagram sentences (why? why? why?). I got this as a reference and it's pretty much every grammar and writing rule you will ever need condensed into a content heavy format. It's not exactly user friendly, but it gets the job done.

I bought this used and it was in fine condition.
5 people found this helpful
on December 23, 2012
I bought this after reading Stephen King's book on writing, in which he said this is the book he used in public school. I'm glad it's in my library. Its useful, well indexed and handy to have if you have any questions about grammar, spelling, syntax, etc.
A must for anyone who cares about languages. Thanks, Stephen.
32 people found this helpful
|55 comments|Report abuse
on July 20, 2017
This is really just the best English Book you will ever buy. If you have to write anything, this book will teach you proper directional sentence structure, tells you how to make it a strong statement and delivers what other English texts don't, sentence diagrams. The other chapters on vocabulary etc. just reinforce the knowledge base and contribute to your effectiveness as a speaker and especially as a writer.
One person found this helpful
on July 2, 2015
I have been searching for a through grammar review. This is it!! It will teach you very through dynamics you did not get in high school and maybe college. The author did a very good job on the basic fundamentals of English.

I am glad Amazon finally had a good text! Thank you again Amazon. I am looking forward to more collegiate textbooks. I am preparing to return to college soon.
2 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on November 23, 2014
This is not as thorough as I would have liked it. It skims some of the topics. I also expected there to be more sentence diagraming. It's ok for what it is, but it's by no means comprehensive. Unless, I missed it, there is no lesson on the rules for writing numbers, dates, etc. That is also part of English grammar. I guess, I'm also stuck on the lack of detail.
3 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on March 1, 2018
Having been out of school many years found myself needing a refresher for writing. Warriner's exactly met expectations. Easy to use and generally quick to the point. Has become a reference kept handy. At times read because it's interesting as well as usefull.
on June 28, 2017
I teach journalism to students from around the world. This book is the best English grammar text. I use it often and I improve my own writing every day! Stephen King recommends this textbook in his book, "On Writing."
One person found this helpful
on September 25, 2017
I had the Complete course as an Honors English course I did as an independent study as a high school senior and when I saw other levels I wanted to see what was covered and how differently from the complete course.