Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Focus on Food Photography for Bloggers: Focus on the Fundamentals (The Focus On Series)
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Dolly Parton Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEM

on March 29, 2013
As a professional teacher of food photography I found this book most instructional. The Nuts and Bolts and Creativity Chapters highlighted what the photographer needs to be aware of and the Challenges and Difficulties chapter illustrated real world experience by the author. I would highly recommend this book.
on September 25, 2012
For anyone who wants to understand the fundamentals of compelling food photography, this is the book for you! Matt Armendariz drills down to the basics of exposure, lighting, composition and food styling in terminology everyone can understand. Whether you are a beginning blogger or a seasoned pro in need of a refresher, Matt's book will help take your food pics to the next level. Helpful graphics, sample photos and tips help the reader to quickly understand what works and what doesn't in food photography. The book is also fun to read thanks to Matt's witty and often humorous voice.
on February 9, 2013
I've already read this book twice. I love it. Matt has a genuine warmth and cheeriness to his tone that makes for a fun read while learning great tips and tricks. I continue to refer to the diagrams in the later chapters that show the camera location vs. window/natural light and foamcore board placement. Great photographs throughout as well. I highly recommend this for any budding food photographer, not just food bloggers.
on March 8, 2013
I like that this book shows good pictures then better pictures of the same thing, and tells you what the photographer did differently to improve those good pictures. The book really is great for those of us in the photography learning curve... the text is understandable to those of us who don't yet know (or remember!) all the features of our camera.
on January 30, 2013
As a food blogger, I found so many tips for photographing food in this book! Mr. Armendariz writes clearly and concisely about photographing food, and page after page of photos showing not only the best way to photograph from, say, an east window, but also what happens if you use poor light, and how to correct it. Hugely informative and an essential book to own.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Yes, I admit it, I am one of those annoying friends on Facebook who share photos of their food, meals, dinners out, things I've cooked, cookies etc. Plus I have a blog and want to show recipes and outcomes. The problem is my food doesn't look nearly as good in most my photos as is does on my plate. I can't blame my cameras, I have a couple and they are nice, no, the problem is me.

Focus on food photography shows me why my pictures aren't turning out as I'd like, and how to make my food look good in photos. And I mean show in a very literal sense. One of my absolute favorite features of the focus on food photography book is the author shows multiple shots of one pictures, demonstrating how lighting, shading, plate color, background etc give a good, or bad, result.

The book also shines because it isn't camera specific, but instead shows set up, lighting, and talks about basic functions almost all cameras have- like flash, making the results accessible no matter what kind of camera one is using.

The book doesn't stray into terribly technical terms or techniques, the ideas are ones most anyone can follow, no call for expensive back lighting or studio grade materials.

Get ready to drool my FB friends, my pictures are turning out great thanks to the tricks and tips from Focus on food.
on April 15, 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As someone who is newly delving into the world of photography, food and blogging together, I wasn't sure where to start. I did look into some other books on photography to get an idea on how to take some good pictures (even for my own personal enjoyment) but I found so many of them to be wordy, impersonal, highly technical and way over my head as a newbie.

When I first turned the pages in this book, I braced myself to be pummeled with a mountain of indiscernible language and masses of technical information. Not so. I released a deep breath as I started to flip through the pages and see tips, tricks and ideas that were very approachable and not at all complicated. Unlike some books that claim to be for "beginners" this one actually remembers its audience. There's much more here than for just beginners, though. It will take you time to learn and implement all the info given here, but it should be a comfortable learning experience.
on January 25, 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have tried, off and on, to learn more about photography since I was in High School. More recently, I decided to go to cooking school, and documented what we did there in a photo blog. However, my pictures were not as amazing as some of the ones I saw on the best food blogs.

I found this book to really hit the spot. It is small, and has enough details to teach you what you need about photography, without being snotty about it if you want to go all automatic. The book is beautifully done, and the author teaches with pictures, and short, clear explainations.

The book fits the audience very well, and he shows that you can even take great shots with your cell phone and small cameras, so you don't have to carry a bag of large, bulky, expensive camera equipment around to have great photos for your blog.

And yes, he clearly explains about shutter speeds, white balance, light, and everything else that you really need to know but really hate to think about!
I wasn't sure about this book when I ordered it. Tons of information regarding food "blogging"/photography exists online. When this item came, I read it in one sitting.

Matt (the author -- not me) does an excellent job not only providing examples/images and tips/tricks but making the amateur food photographer feel OKAY about not having the top of the line equipment. Or having a non-professional camera. Or making mistakes and needing to try again. He even admits he makes mistakes -- something I rarely see professional photographers cop to.

I particularly love chapter 14: Difficult Foods to Photograph and What You Can Do About It.

If you are starting to photograph food or, maybe, have been doing it awhile and just need some more ideas/tips/tricks, this is an excellent purchase.
on March 5, 2013
I can't say enough good things about this book. As a beginner in food photography, this book was an essential tool for me. It's incredibly well-written and it is easy to follow & understand. After reading this book, I can already see a major improvement in my food photos. The book touches on every aspect and it's a pretty quick read. I got through the entire book in one night. Of course, I still reference to it when needed. If you're starting out in food photography, or even in other areas of photography, this book is a must. Five stars!