Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 110 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 320 reviews
on January 3, 2012
I've read Chris Bohjalian before and have enjoyed his work. So when I saw that Amazon had listed this as one of the Best Books of 2011, I thought I'd give it a go during holiday break. I was immersed in the book, and couldn't put it down because I desperately wanted to see how it ended. However, when I reached the end I felt like the structure of the book just fell apart.

Now, I'm not the type of person who demands happy endings. I usually go with the ending and the plot the way the author writes it out and when finished think about what the story was trying to be and what the author might have been trying to say.

But when I reached the end of this book, I called into question entire plot points. What was the point of Chip being haunted by the ghosts of the plane crash victims? Not a minor question as that is a major plot in the book. I was willing to forgive the endless parade of herb-named women that just got silly toward the end--and maybe it was because I read the book in 2 days that it just seemed silly. I was willing to overlook as minor the fact that I would have thought an educated attorney like Emily would see through the "cult-like" group who had befriended her and at least get a second opinion (as she was willing to do with one of the herbal-psychiatrists). And the kids just fell for hanging out with a bunch of grandmotherly types who wanted to change their names and ingratiate them into their club?

I kept wondering what the time period for this book was supposed to be. There are lots of convenient contrivances inserted to try to explain why this family is so isolated: dysfunctional paternal side of the family, dead maternal side of the family, moving far away from friends and old life, the remoteness of Bethel that leads to poor cell phone service.

It just was all too much in the end.

Disappointing.
on October 13, 2011
This is one of the most engrossing books I've read in a while-- I have to admit, I couldn't put it down. A perfect book for fall, especially a dark rainy evening!

The novel is an interesting mix of creepy/scary and psychological tension, and the story is told in a combination of the second and third person. Though certain aspects of the book can be far-fetched upon reflection, the author weaves his tale in a way that makes it seem totally believable.

Surprisingly, for a novel I enjoyed so much there was very little character development-- you kind of have to take all of the players at face value and not dig too deeply. If you're able to overlook this and dive straight into the story, you'll find the speed of the plot keeps things moving along at a nice steady clip. In many ways, the lack of details and insights into the characters makes everything even more spooky.
on November 27, 2011
There were mixed reviews for this novel, but since I love Chris Bohjalian, I thought I'd give it a shot. It was like reading the best of Stephen King (particularly but not exclusively "The Shining")mixed together with the Bruce Willis movie "The 6th Sense" and good old fashion New England folklore. After a pilot crashes his plane into Lake Champlain, killing 39 passengers, his wife and twin daughters move to New Hampshire to start anew. Unfortunately, their demons follow them, as the pilot sees ghosts of the people who perished on his plane. Or does he? Is it just post-traumatic stress, or perhaps survivor's guilt, or is he having a nervous breakdown? What about the other strange happenings in this town, including the tragedy that occurred so long ago in the house they just recently purchased? And what is up with the "herbalists" in this sleepy New England town who have taken such an interest in the pilot's twin daughters? Each page reveals a piece of the puzzle, until you begin to see the whole picture. As the novel builds to a crescendo, you want to continue reading to discover if you were right all along. The ending will leave you breathless, and the characters will stay with you for days. The only downside was I didn't want to put it down, but I found I was too scared to read it too late at night. A book worth reading.
on July 7, 2012
I ordered this book after reading a couple of positive reviews and a newspaper interview with the author. I'm a fan of ghost/horror stories, and this one sounded fresh and interesting.

It was - in the beginning. It was hard to put down at first. But the second half dragged, and the ending was a huge disappointment. The intriguing beginning devolved into silly genre cliches. Maybe if you don't read much horror, this mishmash might seem interesting, but for anyone who's read more than a few horror books, this was a boring re-tread of ground that is all too familiar.

In the end, nothing really worked for me in this book. The fact that the beginning was good only made the disappointment of the rest sharper. The characterization did not seem realistic, the solutions to the various mysteries were not satisfying or nonexistent, the plot was one I've seen a million times before.

In particular, I was reminded of Thomas Tryon's book from the 1970s, Harvest Home. Or The Other - a far more interesting use of twins. Stephen King, Shirley Jackson, HP Lovecraft - there are a lot of authors who have done "creepy New England town" better than this.
on January 28, 2012
I'm very torn as to how to rate this book and I may go back and change it later.

Full disclosure - I've never read anything by Bohjalian so I had no expectations going in. I also grew up reading King, Straub and Koontz so I at least used to really like the horror genre.

This book definitely sucked me in. I needed to find out what happened. At first the use of 2nd person for Chip's scenes was weird, but I got used to it rather quickly. The ending was unexpected (which is rare these days) and certainly shocked me. It also really, really disturbed me and that's part of the reason I don't know how to rate this book. Usually with books I really like, I'll read them over and over. I know I'll never read this book again.

***mild spoilers***
I am bothered at how complacent Chip and Emily are, but I can chalk that up to the fact that they are being fed some bizarre (and conflicting) things from the herbalists. I'm also bothered that Bohjalian doesn't really write the herbalists as evil. By the end of the book it is clearly apparent that Clary, John, Anise et. al., are reprehensible, disgusting and vile.

Overall, I'd recommend this book to others as long as they know what they are getting in to. This isn't a nice story and it will leave you feeling very disturbed.
VINE VOICEon November 3, 2011
Chris Bohjalian has made a career out of writing compelling fiction with complex characters that are placed in situations that challenge them. Some of his better-known novels include MIDWIVES, THE DOUBLE BLIND and SECRETS OF EDEN. In all of those novels, conscience and morality come into play and every character is forced to make difficult decisions.

It will come as quite a surprise to his regular readers that Mr. Bohjalian has now ventured into the realm of the supernatural with his latest release --- THE NIGHT STRANGERS. Since his novels never pull any punches --- and quite often present surprising plot twists --- I was prepared for anything with this book. It's safe to say that there is something for everyone here --- enough chills to satisfy fans of the supernatural in a character-driven plot that reads like dramatic fiction.

Airline pilot Chip Linton and his family --- wife Emily and twin daughters Hallie and Garnet --- are settling into their new home in Northern New Hampshire. They are looking to make an escape from a tragic airline incident that has emotionally scarred Chip. A seventy-seat regional jet he was flying suffered double engine failure and was forced to make an emergency landing in Lake Champlain. Unlike the Miracle on the Hudson, Chip Linton and Flight 1611 were not the subject of a heroic feat. Flight 1611 crashed hard and the impact along with the freezing lake water claimed the lives of 39 of his passengers.

Now, attempting to rebuild their lives, the Linton's have moved into an old Victorian home in Bethel, New Hampshire. It is not long before the images and memories in Chip's mind begin materializing to him in the basement of the home. He sees victims of his crash --- adults and children --- and is drawn to a door in the basement that ironically has 39 bolts in it. These night strangers that Chip visits with most evenings are trying to both console and warn him. What they are trying to tell him is unclear and strange things begin to befall Chip Linton.

At the same time, the rest of his family are attempting to settle in to their new community. Hallie and Garnet are attending fifth-grade and Emily is making friends with some of the locals. Emily suspects that there might be something more than simply eccentric with the local residents as the women of the local White Mountain village have all adopted names representing herbs and spices. If this weren't creepy enough, the women are showing a strange interest in Emily's daughters. Are the Linton's all going mad or is there really something wicked happening among the White Mountains?

Bohjalian deftly peels back the layers and let's the readers decide if Chip Linton is going insane or if he is really in the midst of a supernatural haunting. THE NIGHT STRANGERS will not make you jump out of your seat but instead provides chills and creepy moments that make you question all that is happening. There are definite echoes of classic literary horror from Ira Levin's ROSEMARY'S BABY to Thomas Tryon's HARVEST HOME and a New England feel that calls to mind the better work of Stephen King. A great book for a spooky fall night!

Reviewed by Ray Palen for New Mystery Reader
on October 8, 2012
I knew I was in trouble when I started reading narrative from the point of view of the family cat.

Chris Bohjalian is a master storyteller. I've read every book he's written. But this is more like a botched movie treatment where the editor and maybe even the author could not make the Hollywood lunch meeting, so the agents finished the deal and then everybody went and cashed their checks.

You can almost see the formula drawn out on the napkin as the agents are all having lunch. Marginally famous person (Sully Sullenberger) plus PTSD plus, ghosts plus career Mom who falls apart plus Stephen King like twins. Toss in witches. Stir with stock New England weather footage, use the authors first draft (the book is overwritten by at least 50 pages) and presto! Everybody can make their mortgage payments,

Bohjalian is a serious talent. Buy all his books! But not this one. Cause he can and has done so much better than this.
on January 19, 2012
As the title says, the book was just so-so. Other readers provided a synopsis, so I won't repeat it.

Just a few thoughts...
- The plot was slow moving. I kept waiting for it to take off, but it never really did.

- There were too many flashbacks to the airplane wreck that recanted the same things. We got it. He's traumatized. If that time had been devoted to furthering the plot, it might've been better.

- There (really) weren't any twists leading up to the end. You prettymuch knew everything that was happening. No surprises.

- The characters didn't have depth. Any references to their character or their past were limited.

- There were too many dropped plot lines. The 39 bolts? Yeah. What was the point? Nothing ever came of it.

- The ending sucked. It's not that I wanted them to all ride off in the sunset together, but the logic behind the ending was fuzzy. It didn't reflect any of the things we'd learned about the characters.
I love psychological horror, so this book sounded as if it would be right up my alley. Chip Linton is an airline pilot whose plane crashes (through no fault of his own) and 39 people die. He decides he will never fly again and apparently he's having PTSD, although that wasn't really gone into in any depth. Anyway, Chip and his wife Emily and their 10-year-old twin girls buy and move into an old house in a small town in order to get a "fresh start." There's a weird opening (perhaps an old coal chute) down in the basement that's boarded up and closed with 39 (!!!!!!) carriage bolts, whatever that is. Of course Chip decides to chop down the door. What follows is anticlimactic. The book just never "comes through" on the creepy premise. And I hated the ending, which I will not divulge. I'm sorry I spent my money on this one . . . .
on January 31, 2012
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
I've read most of Chris Bohjalian's novels and this one follows a familiar theme: the story is set in a small New England town with women characters who appear at the start to live average small town lives but as the plots unfurl, are eccentric & definitely left of small town main street.

The Night Strangers actually has two completely different story lines: First is the tale of a pilot haunted by ghosts of passengers that died on his last, doomed flight and Second follows a coven of herbalists (a.k.a. witches) that weaves its magic on the pilot's unsuspecting family. Each plot is interesting on its own, but I think I would have preferred that the novel focus on one theme: either ghosts or witches. Putting them both in the same novel watered each down for me.

Once done, I found myself wishing more time had been spent building the pilot/ghost storyline and that the herbalist/witch story had been saved for another novel. Still, it was enjoyable and I would recommend it to others, especially those who have read other books by Bohjalian.