BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pick of the week Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now FFII_gno

A Visit from the Goon Squad
Format: Paperback|Change

on October 10, 2017
Interesting story. I like the writing style where the story jumps from present time, back to the past and then back to present. But I had a hard time following all the characters through these time warps. And the ending didn't really tie it all together for me. I might have to read it again to make sense of it.
on October 13, 2017
The book meandered too much for me. I enjoyed the story and felt it embodied some of that era very well, but it was dark and the characters were not followed enough to get your arms around any of them.
on October 16, 2017
Fascinating. This woman can write.
on August 13, 2014
Entertaining for sure. Hard to keep track of how the chapters relate if you take a longer time to get thru it, but that doesn't really matter. I had to try a few times to get into it, but once I got in, I enjoyed it. Good summer read.
on August 30, 2013
This character driven book is hard to put down. It will follow you into your dreams.
The writing is bright, sharp-edged, and original. A real "make it new" piece.
You'll want to keep it by your desk to refer back.
My only beef - at times it seems to drag, but only a little bit.
on March 6, 2016
Brilliant book. Big fan of Jennifer Egan. Please, if this is optioned, do not white wash Jolie and Benny!!!
on April 7, 2014
This was a book club book choice and I'm sure it was chosen in part because it won the pulitzer prize.

I was really drawn in by some segments of the book but that may actually be part of the problem. This book reads like a bunch of short stories that are marginally interrelated. I found it difficult to care much about most of the characters. I was also disappointed that as with some other books I've read such as "A Fine Balance" or "The House of Sand and Fog" there were so many problems and issues heaped upon the characters that to me they just couldn't hold up under the weight. I don't object to books that are dark or overwhelming but this just felt false to me. I also felt that some things like the evolution into the "pointers" and the "new" society just felt kind of disjointed from the earlier parts of the book.

I ordered the book for my kindle and was happy to find a reference to the author's website where I could view the power point slides. While I found some of them confusing I thought it was an interesting avenue for the materials it presented.

I probably would not recommend this book to friends.
on August 14, 2012
I loved this book. I found it original in two aspects: the structure and the emotion.

Structurally the story is a weave of different characters versions of events from different points of view and different times. It takes a bit to get used to and understand but once you start to see the connections and how each story relates to the whole things start to fall into place. I suffer from short term memory issues and sometimes had trouble remembering the names of characters from earlier in the book, however within a paragraph or two, the author gave enough context for me to remember how they related within the story. Unlike some books that seem to get stuck on how "tricky" they are being with the structure, this book isn't an exercise in being different, rather the structure helps the book and the unfolding of the events and emotions within.

Emotionally, I thought it was not cliched and presented common themes in a new way. For me the themes were around ordinary peoples lives and the little events and interactions that shape their path through life. It is not a big, cataclysmic event that affects people kind of story, rather it is how those things in the workplace or people and relationships can effect your life. It does lean towards the disappointments in life and examines the "how did I end up here" aspects of life, but it stops short of being depressing and is actually gentle and thoughtul.
on February 6, 2016
Fascinating story...my third time reading it (Gave my other two copies to friends, as I liked it so much)
on May 15, 2013
It kept me coming back, but it was difficult to track with the different story tellers. I don't do well when stories seem to jump around from the perspectives of different author's telling the story. I'd say, be prepared to do mental gymnastics to keep the stories straight. It was a good read, though.