Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Loretta Lynn: Coal Miner's Daughter
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Back to School STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on May 4, 2002
This is a very touching book, you can't put down once you begin to read it. The life-long story of Lorreta Lynn is powerful and
breath-taking. The words in this book are not fancy, but candid, convincible and colorful, it is the true life of Lorreta Lynn that wins the heart of millions people.
How poor is being poor? What is the struggle to escape from being
poor? How Lorreta Lynn became a country music diva from a coal miner's daughter? From this book, we share the life of Lorreta Lynn with our own, we see the souls and dreams as well as day to day lives of many ordinary people, especially the humanbeing under poverty.
Lorreta Lynn was born into a very poor coal miner's family in a remote Kentucky hillside. Her father had little money to feed Lorreta and her family, one Christmas, her Daddy had only thirty-six cents (!) for Lorreta and her three brothers. The work was very hard for her Daddy, he had to crawl on his hands and knees to work inside the ream of coal, of only three feet high. Until seven years old, Lorreta always wore flour sack her mummy sewed as dress. However, with her unyielding spirit and unceasingly struggling, Lorreta went on and up, became the queen of country music and a millionaire.
I didn't know the name of Lorreta Lynn until I watched the movie"coal miner's daughter", this movie led me to this book. The movie is fantastic, but this book let you know more and think more.
Either you like county music or not, either you are poor or rich,
this book is absolutely good, inspiring, touching and unforgetable.
on May 18, 2000
This book is an excellent autobiography that gives you insight into Loretta Lynns public and personal life. This book is written the way Loretta talks; Loretta insisted that it be that way. I highly suggest that everyone should read this book as well as Loretta's new book that is due out Fall 2000. Loretta is a remarkable lady. This book is required reading for any true country music fan, but would be appreciated by all. After reading this book you will come to appreciate Loretta more than you ever have. If you ever meet her, you will appreciate her even more. Loretta is a national treasure, but she does not see herself as a Legend. Loretta's favorite foods are still soup beans an cornbread and skillet fried chicken. Loretta has never left her roots...in this book she shares with you her amazing journey...
on March 18, 1999
The movie is good but the book is excellent. Perhaps the best autobiography ever written. The chapters flow with stories of sadness and humor expressed in Loretta's one phasing. For someone without much of an education, the wisdom and values Loretta shares within the book is inspiring. You will be left wanting to read more about this wonderful lady. This book does not disappoint.
on December 4, 2009
I have read Loretta's bio many times, saw the movie many times, but after having the chance to visit her birthplace in Butcher Holler, Kentucky and being taken on a personal tour of the cabin she was born in by her brother Herman, I decided to purchase this book and read it again. The main thing that stands out to me about this book is the complete fearless honesty of the writer. Sometimes the truth is hard to take but Ms. Lynn put's it out there for what it is. Still to this day, I have never read a bio that was this fearless with the truth. I have nothing but total admiration for this lady and think that even if you are not a fan of Loretta's music, this is just an amazing read of a young girl growing up too quick, hard times with a seemingly difficult marriage , Appalachia culture, and the early years of country music. Painfully honest at times, a fascinating read.
on December 22, 2004
I have been completely in love with Loretta Lynn ever since I saw "Coal Miner's Daughter." I didn't even know who she was til I watched the movie at age 14, then I read the book and became hooked on her music. She is an amazing woman. Her life has been hard, and she doesn't take any of her success for granted. She is who she is. What you see is what you get with her. I don't know if anyone who reads her book could relate to half of what she has experienced, but it makes for interesting reading. I was lucky enough to see her live in concert a month ago, and when she walked out on that stage, I was brought literally to tears. I just couldn't believe this woman I admire so highly was actually standing in front of me. I'll never forget that night. And I will never stop loving Loretta Lynn. Read BOTH of her autobiographies. Both are excellent.
on May 2, 2005
A grandmother at 28? Wow! I learned a lot of interesting things about 1) the country music star, and 2) about coming up hard and making it work out.

This book is Loretta Lynn's tale of her childhood in Butcher Holler with her poor but pround parents. Her parents allow her to be married off to a man she barely knows when she is 13. Amazingly, she remains married to this man for the rest of his life.

Anyway, the husband encourages Loretta to sing publicly because he thinks she has a great voice. And I don't need to tell you how the career goes, because that's pretty popular knowledge.

All in all, this was a great book. Very well developed and informative, whether you're a country music fan or not.
on June 18, 2010
I have always loved Loretta Lynn, but could never find her autobiography. Finally I discovered a copy at the library where my sister works downtown and asked her to pick it up for me. I read it quickly, in just a matter of hours, and I love her even more now! Most people know the bare bones of her story, but told through her own unique voice, this book is really a treasure.

Coal Miner's Daughter is a glimpse at the woman hiding behind the personality - the real woman. The book is written in Lynn's own words, and chock-full of southern colloquialisms that make you feel like she's sitting right there with you telling you her story. The writing weaves together the pieces of Loretta Lynn's life into a beautiful and inspiring memoir, giving the reader a look behind the legend to see what made her such a strong ans wise woman.
on April 25, 2016
I just love Loretta Lynn. Honestly, I never listened to much of her music. Heard it on the radio from time to time, but in my youth, rock 'n roll was what I listened to. I loved the movie Coal Miner's Daughter. I saw her on a show with the medium Kim Russo a couple years ago. She was checking out her haunted house and I just fell in love with Loretta Lynn. There's something about her that is indescribably appealing.

This book is just wonderful. It's written in the colloquial voice and it works. It's like she's sitting across from you telling you her life story, and what a story it is. She is an amazing person.

This is simply a great memoir, whether you are into her music or not.
on January 18, 2015
I enjoyed exploring Loretta's life, book is different from the movie, but then they usually are. But of course, with a movie, they have to make it more exciting. So in the book, you get the order in which things really happened. Nice story to read.
on November 9, 2012
While I am not completly heartless...((Ms Lynn did have a pretty rough life), I really did not enjoy this book. The grammer was difficult to handle. This was a book club pick, after one of our members had been to TN and visited Loretta Lynn's museum. Of particular interest to me was the fact that Ms Lynn had 6 children, but only two finished high school. I freely admit I am not a "country" fan, and have little knowledge of that sort of life. What also upset me was a reference to animal cruelty,committed by her husband. This account was just sort of thrown in, with no condemnation by Ms. Lynn. All in all, this is not a book I would recommend.