BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Women's Coat Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

on July 1, 2015
I am a fan of Mindy Kaling, and her book is a light and fun read. It is not especially profound, nor does it contain any groundbreaking words of wisdom, but then again she doesn't pretend that it will! My expectations were a little high after having read great reviews and watched her hilarious show, and while the book did not *quite* live up to the hype, it was very good in its own way. I recommend it to women in their 20s and 30s because you might recognize a little bit of yourself in some of the thoughts and worries Kaling shares, in addition to having a few laughs!
on November 26, 2016
I bought this expecting a celebrity memoir, and that's what I got! We tend to want these kinds of books so that we can read about the lives of people that we "know" from the media. This was light, funny, and interesting. I will definitely pick up the second one, as my biggest criticism of this one was wanting more. The anecdotes were well polished: it was clear that they had been condensed into just the pertinent and interesting parts, and that Ms. Kaling spent a lot of time thinking about what to put in the book, and how to explain the way things like childhood friendships, parental expectations, and creative failures affected her. I recommend this book to fans of the celebrity memoir genre and fans of Ms. Kaling.
on April 16, 2015
Mindy is legit funny. Not quite as biting or "deep" as Tina Fey's "Bossypants" was, but there is plenty here for a good time and really, there isn't a lot of trying to be more or less beyond the self-deprecation and what that means for Mindy and potential audience.

There *was more than I thought there would be about dating, boys, wanting love, wanting to date, etc. So like really obviously meant as self-effacing a lot of the time, but also gets a little repetitive. Like, super...well... hetero? Not sure what else to say. I guess "normative" is better word. I've never felt that reading/watching Bossypants, 30 Rock, Parks and Rec, the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt... basically it just sticks out somehow more here for some reason out of all the comedic spaces I live in that seem to be related to Kaling's humor. It feels like a weird thing to write in a review for a comedic book but literally I was like "really?" during some instances of the book. Do we need to be Disney Princesses transported to modern times? Like I said, self-deprecating, but also, sometimes in a vaguely nefarious "it's a joke but also we all know the drill so sit and watch what you know happens." Can't explain it. I've seen parts of Mindy's show and thought it was funny. I'm going to check it out to see if I can pin-point what exactly I'm feeling.
on September 17, 2015
Well I'm a HUGE Mindy fan so I suppose it's no brainer that I would love this book. She's cute, quirky, and has the same silly sense of humor. She's the girl next door you want to be best friends with. Unlike Chelsea Handler (who I enjoy as well), Mindy is relatable, yet funny. And like her, I like to create imaginary celebrity friendships in my head. Gwen Stefani, Pamela Anderson, and Amy Poehler to name a few. So far I've met 2 out of the 3. I'll let you figure out which ones.

What's great about this book is that you can also give it to a young girl (think 12 and up) as well. Mindy's story is inspiring to all aspiring artists and a good example of what hard work and a straight head and can achieve. A nice change from the Mileys and the Britanys, if you ask me. Her drive is admirable.

The only thing I would say, as much as I love Mindy, it sometimes she comes across as being a teenager instead of a grown woman. Maybe it's because she barely addresses sex or other heavier issues, but there is something that makes me want to go Mindy grow up!

But all in all I loved the book! If you're a fan, it's a must.
on January 20, 2017
As a huge Mindy fan and avid Mindy Project watcher, I finally got around to reading Kaling's book!

I was never the prettiest, skinniest, or most popular girl throughout growing up and it is such a relief to have a great female role model write about her own struggles with self acceptance and identity. Kaling bluntly talks about what it is like to be body shammed, finding herself, and what makes her happy. This is someone who should be a role model to all women, and I cannot wait for my step daughter to be old enough to read this book and learn that it doesn't matter if you are skinny, curvy, into comedy, seriously academic, etc. as long as you are happy with yourself and what you do!
on August 12, 2016
I have to preface this review by saying I love Mindy Kaling--I watched her on The Office and loved the fact that she wrote for the show as well. When she created The Mindy Project, I followed right along. I find her humor funny. With that said, this book did not disappoint! It traces her childhood up through her career, and there are moments, many, many moments, where I laughed out loud. And it kept me up at night instead of sleeping--I had some tired work days until I finished the book! Because I've been a fan of hers and have seen her in her in so many sitcom episodes, I had her voice in my head as I was reading. The writing is natural and quick-paced, with short chapters that keep you turning the page to see what funny story she'll have to tell about her life next.
on February 15, 2015
I expected this to be a series of humorous anecdotes about Kaling’s life in showbiz. Yes, there are some work-related stories included, but this reads more like a quippy autobiography than a collection of essays, which isn’t a bad thing at all. Mindy portrays herself as a successful Everygirl; her writing style is mildly self-deprecating, but she still manages to remind the reader of her talent. It’s a hard balance to strike, but she manages to make herself sound impressive and relatable all at once, and that (to me) makes her immensely likable.

After reading about Mindy’s childhood, her budding love of comedy, and her triumphs (and mishaps) in the world of Hollywood, I became a fan, not just of The Office but of her. I will admit that I expected this to be a laugh-out-loud sort of memoir (closer to Aisha Tyler’s Self-Inflicted Wounds, which I also loved), and it wasn’t, but that didn’t detract from my reading experience. In fact, I couldn’t put it down because I couldn’t get enough of her dry humor and ability to make me smirk while reading. The only thing about this book that irked me — and it isn’t a big deal, but I can’t help but notice — is that the title has absolutely nothing to do with the book.

All in all: I enjoyed Kaling’s tone so much that I used my limited free time to check out The Mindy Project...and got sucked into a binge-viewing situation. I think it's safe to say I'm a fan!
on February 14, 2015
I so enjoyed reading this book and laughed out loud many times. Mindy has many startling insights thrown in which made me think...such as my own best friend code, when friends annoy me, how I exit a party. Her story about her second date that cancelled at the last minute brought me to tears. Her work ethic and her stance on people complaining about stress was spot on and I had to look in the mirror. Mindy, you will make a great mother and wife! Hope you find your special someone, pal and soul mate.
on January 2, 2015
I read this book in probably six-ish hours on a super slow day at work (the only plus of being required to work holidays), after which I thought to myself, "I will review this book on Amazon, so Mindy knows I loved it." I mean, we're besties now, Mindy and I. At least that's how she makes it feel. Then I realized that she doesn't know me, and she will never know me. Sad face.

Some notes about other people's complaints about the book: 1) Not well written? These aren't Great American Essays. Mindy is a comedy writer, and the book is supposed to be super casual and funny. Assuming her goal is to make the reader feel like she's chatting them up, it totally works. I could almost see her hand motions and that downward face tilt, this-is-just-between-us face that she does. 2) Unorganized? Yeah, a little. Some things seemed completely random, but I do that all the time in conversation, so again, it's like she's your really funny friend who's a little random, but hilarious and totally relatable. There were several LOLs and one instance where I was trying my hardest to squelch very loud giggles. I'm surprised no one wandered over to my cube to ask what was so funny.

Also, I absolutely sampled this book because of the title and cover design, and I am not ashamed of that. It's just so simultaneously lovely and awkward!
on July 29, 2015
I love everything Mindy Kaling does, and this book doesn't disappoint. Her writing voice is much like her voice on The Mindy Project (and you can hear her reading the book in your head). However it does delve deeper than just a comical memoir as she talks about the challenges she's overcome and what has led her to be the woman she is today. It offers an interesting view of what the comic industry and television industry looks like from the inside, and offers a very caricature like view of many of the celebs she's encountered along the way. It's also inspirational to see how she never gave up on following her dreams and aspirations. I can't wait to read her newest book.