Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Shop Popular Services masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 45 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 72 reviews
on June 13, 2012
This book is a page turner. The material presented in this book ranges from some pretty deep science (all of which presented in a fantastically understandable manner) to common stories and how they relate to the sun. I found myself sharing much of the information in this book with my wife, who doesn't really find science and astronomy fascinating the way I do, and she actually enjoyed it.

As other reviews have noted, some of his facts tend to be over statements about certain things. What I mean by this is his enthusiasm for the subject can sometimes cause him to make statements that aren't entirely accurate, rather just filled with a little excitement. That being said, it in no way detracts from the experience. When he says a supernova explosion is the most powerful force in the universe, he is filled with excitement, as it is one of the most powerful but not quite numbber one. Small things like that add to the vision of the book and aren't made as main take away points of the book.

He occasionally comes off as calling different religions or beliefs as ignorant, though put in an indirect fashion. These occurrences are rare and sometimes he even highlights different religions or references a Creator.

Overall, small errors rarely pop up and this book is great. I recommend this to anyone at all interested in our Sun or even why things are how they are on our planet.
on September 10, 2011
The jokes are frequent and lame, but after a while I didn't notice them; maybe they got better. Those account for 1 star off what otherwise would be a 5-star review. A grand tour of the Sun: its history and our history in relation to it. I especially liked the description of the 1800s and the unnoticed and unappreciated scientists who proposed their new theories, breaking with past ideas.

Oddly, the understanding of the Sun's source of heat--nuclear fusion--is mentioned in passing. It must have been a revelation in the early 1900s but the author barely touches on it.

The author makes a statement I don't understand: "Throughout the universe, light is created only when an electron falls down closer to its atom's nucleus." Is this true also of RF energy? I thought that was generated by oscillating current...does that also energize electrons from one shell to a higher one, then let the electrons fall down? I hope a reader can enlighten me.
on July 7, 2015
Wonderful book, written by a professional. Detailed information about some of the exotic attributes of the sun, its mysteries, history of humanity's study and well written explanations of everyday phenomena. The author has a good sense of humor and every chapter leaves you smiling with new information that you can not wait to share. The cover texture has a soft yet roughened feel so fingerprints do not taint it like glossy covered paperbacks. Excellent addition to any astronomer's collection (professional or amateur).
on November 24, 2015
Bob Berman has been writing for 30 years. I love his articles in Astronomy magazine. So I bought this simply because he was the author without regard to the subject. And I wasn't disappointed. Fun, informative, engaging; everything I've come to expect from Bob Berman. Enjoy!
on April 23, 2016
Berman is THE BEST as he makes presenting such fantastic material entertaining and mind-blowing! This reads like a novel but is packed with real facts, thought-provoking theories, and well-placed humor to keep it grounded. I recommend everyone read it, techies AND non-techies. Thanks, Bob.
on May 14, 2015
I would give the book 4 1/2 but it isn't offered. I have a passion for science and wanted to see what he had to say about the sun. Since he is a writer and has taught courses on the sun the book was excellent. He offered useful information that anyone could appreciate, he was humorous and he didn't linger too long anywhere.
on May 7, 2016
Very Comprehensive with lots of information about the Sun & it's many effects on us.
on January 2, 2016
Excellent and engaging overview of our most important star. Full of interesting tidbits and insights.
on December 10, 2016
great book
on August 13, 2016
Very well written and interesting.