Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Human Anatomy with Practice Anatomy Lab 2.0 (6th Edition)
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports STEM

on August 25, 2007
I can't tell you how sad I was when I found out that the City Colleges of Chicago decided to use Principles of Anatomy and Physiology by Tortora and Derrickson for the second course of Anatomy and Physiology instead of this book. This book does a great job of putting the subjects in an order that is good to follow, with a plethora of great photos and drawings, and puts a section called Homeostatic Imbalance right after a section and explains some problems that go wrong in the part of the human body. Most chapters even have a closer look section with a rather corny title that they think is funny with an article that is usually topical and relevant. Really go above and beyond in muscle and bone chapters (giving you both a detailed drawing and actual picture of almost everything). Also, wrote in a style that is easy to understand; goes from the basics to the details of a subject very smoothly. Even my girlfriend, who has no interest in a career in the medical world, has flipped through most of the book and asked questions or stated how awesome something is. I plan on keeping this book to reference to for a long time.
on May 13, 2001
I used this book as a student, and refer to it frequently as a reference. This 1000 + page text explains the structure and function of the complicated, detailed human body in a logical, easy to understand manner. Everything about this book is user friendly including the presentation order, the writing, and the graphics. In each chapter, Marieb presents the big picture before zeroing in on the details. For the body's systems, (digestive, endocrine, respiratory, etc.) Marieb overviews the system, and then explains the gross and fine anatomy and associated physiology.
Here are a few of the many features I find impressive: * Graphics: Very impressive photographs and illustrations. The electron micrographs are spectacular. * Tables and charts - These greatly simplify the learning of complex concepts. For example, in the immune system chapter, there's a good table explaining the first and second lines of defense. * Medical applications - Common diseases are overviewed in the appropriate chapter, for example epilepsy is discussed in the neural integration chapter. There are occasional basic pharmacology and sports applications, such as diuretics and blood doping, respectively. * Making connections feature - Marieb shows how the system being studied relates to the other systems in the body.
This is an absolutely state of the art A&P book, and each edition is better than the last. It's expensive, but you get a lot for your money. It may be too detailed for some, who would be better served by her "Essentials of Anatomy and Physiology" text. If you're an A&P student, I recommended you use her workbook as well. I've found that working through the exercises really helps this information stick.
on May 27, 2003
This book filled with great informative pictures and information that makes any college A and P student's life a lot easier. I used this book for anatomy and physiology class I and II. The book is easy to read and it is a powersource of knowledge. The book is not tedious nor boring to read. In fact, it is quite interesting and was a pleasure studying from. If you want to know the type of questions asked on college anatomy and physiology exams, get the following which is also on amazon:
Anatomy and Physiology Study Guide: Key Review Questions and Answers with Explanations
Volume 1 (ISBN: 0971999619)
Volume 2 (ISBN: 0971999627)
I used these three books and got an A-.
on October 6, 2007
I love this book because it is extremely thourough. When I was in anatomy class I had to teach the course to myself because the professor never taught anatomy. So I studied from this book and I got an A in the course. It gets in depth about the macroscopic AND microscopic anatomy and describes the anatomy/physiology/functions/and detailed pictures.
on November 4, 2009
I used this book for an undergraduate Anatomy course, it is virtually THE SAME as the 5th edition with the exception of a few (four to be exact) pictures. Do you need the new photos?? No. Why? Because they are shown in other parts of the book anyways.
The only other difference is that they "updated" a select few of the "old terms" to "newer terms" (terms NOT widely used or taught) it caused a huge problem when referring to something specific in lectures and labs, our instructor even had our class cross them out or add the more commonly used terms to our books.
The book is also massive and very awkwardly shaped; it will not fit into any book bag or backpack ever. Sadly I was one of the only students in my class who's book binding lasted through the semester too--everyone had problems with pages falling out and the binding simply ripping apart. Sad because at over a hundred dollars it should make it through a simple 18 week class!! I worked in a bookstore for years and was shocked as I've never seen that happen to so many people.
My advice is to buy an older edition as it's more than half the cost.
on August 23, 1999
I teach human anatomy and phyiology at Merritt College in Oakland and have used the various editions of this book for 10 years. It keeps getting better. It carries the best collection of graphics, figures and tables I've seen in any undergraduate text. In fact in carries much of the graphics that you find in medical school text books in anatomy and physiology. Dr. Marieb generally goes to the forward march of science in any given area. It forces the instructor to know their stuff and be ready to guide the student in lecture. The book's graphics do much of the work for me. I'm impressed by how Dr. Marieb selects the best graphics of all the texts plus much original work and collates them in an understandable way. I recommend that students keep this book as a reference for use in their allied health professional programs.
on April 5, 2012
If you are looking to save money, this is the book for you. It is the same as the newer editions... yes, you do not get the atlas, but with so many youtube videos and anatomy websites you don't really need it. Take advantage of the technologyy available today and save your money. I found the anatomy websites and youtube videos VERY helpful specially for the lab,I got together with classmates and made our own youtubechannel IT HELPS.
I am updating this review after using this book two semesters and passing both classes with an A. I used this book for anatomy (spring 2012) and physiology (fall 2012). Other than the pages being in different order the book is the same as the newer editions. I believe the new editions have a corrected picture and that's about it. I did well using this old edition and YouTube videos.
PS the youtube channel interactive biology is one of the best!
on May 20, 2009
This book is identical to her previous ed. with Apolo Anton Ohno on it. All she has done to this newer book with Williams on it is to add about 3 pages, changed her color coding, ISBN # and cover photo. You spend about $50 more for a book that is identical in contents to one you can easily find on e bay for so much less.
44 comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 7, 2014
I rented this book for a semester and it arrived to my home in just a couple days, practically brand new!
The book is very useful in the understanding of anatomy of the body and the compositions that make it up.
It definitely helped me through my college anatomy class with a more in depth understanding instead of just being able to point out where each location of the bone, articulation, muscles, arteries etc.
It was also very easy to return the book at the end of the semester. It was a matter of find a box, print out the shipping label provided by amazon that is obtainable through your account under your account (manage textbook rentals) and just dropping it off at any location that deals with ups shipping!
on July 14, 1997
I recently read this wonderfully written text as part of my course load in anatomy and physiology at the university level. This book explores unifying themes, indepthly discusses system maintenance and homeostasis, explains disease processes germane to individual body systems, and reviews organic chemistry and microbiology basics as they relate to the text.. Marieb's synergy of words, artwork and charts emphasize retention of information through phonetic pronunciation of key terms, provide a medium for understanding the interrelations of body organ systems and explain structure and function through histology. I recommend using this book in conjunction with the many resources that complement this book to include: the interActive PHYSIOLOGY CD-ROM series (high quality, college level), study guides, and the A&P Toolkit Software which has multiple choice questions and answers by chapter complete with outline and subject index search capabilities. This book is a must for aspiring nurses, doctors, and the curious college student who wants an in-depth look into the Human body