Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Study Guide and Solutions Manual for Organic Chemistry
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

on March 28, 2012
Let's face it - OChem is HARD!

The only way to survive this course is a good instructor and practice, practice, practice. But it has to be "perfect practice". While this solutions manual does give additional guidance on the in-chapter problems, that is NOT the real reason to buy it. I worked through most of the back of the chapter problems - and, as is the case with struggling OChem student - often came up with "solutions" that were totally wrong! If I hadn't had this book, I would have not known where I went wrong or how to proceed.

If you are prepared to WORK HARD on learning organic chemistry, I can't recommend this solutions manual more highly. While your mileage may vary, I am NOT a chemistry brain, but still managed to earn an A for both semesters of OChem and scored 89th percentile on the American Chemical Society OChem Exam.
on January 14, 2013
The answers to exercises from the accompanying textbook are accurate and very helpful for checking whether you're correct or not. However, if you don't get the correct answer, this "study guide" does little to explain how the solution is obtained. The practice tests in the study guide are rather easy compared to the material covered in the book and in most classes, but they were still useful in reviewing for exams. Overall, this manual was very helpful throughout my organic chemistry course provided I could figure out how to get to the answers on my own after seeing them.
on October 1, 2010
I bought this book hoping to find a detail explanation for every questions asked in the book. However, it does not. Almost all the answers are given directly without explanation. Even there is an explanation, it would be short and not helpful at all! We have to look back at the notes to find the reason for every answer! The book itself is a SOLUTION MANUAL and STUDY GUIDE! It should give the solution for every answer. Not just the answer. And it should GUIDE people to understand the answer given! Not just give the answer directly.

I do not recommend this book for those who seek detail explanation. It not worth the money. 100 bucks for just answers without detail explanation? Totally wasted!
on August 12, 2012
I bought this solutions manual to use with my textbook during my two Organic Chemistry classes at my university. I thought that it would worth the bookstore price (about $80 in the U.S.), but it turned out to not be so. I used this book a total of three times before I gave up and just found practice problems online.

The guide itself contains virtually no explanation of mechanisms or reactions. I thought it would help me understand the class better, but it basically gave only answers with no reason for them. There were a few "special topic" sections that were never covered in my class, so I didn't used them at all, either. All in all, I feel that this was a waste of my money and I can only hope to sell it back to Amazon for some credit back on this terrible product.

In short: it was very unhelpful, gave no explanation or reasoning for most of the problems (giving only the answers), and it was expensive to boot. I would absolutely not buy this book if I could do it over again.
on December 27, 2012
While in theory a solutions manual seems like it would be a MUST for this subject, sadly, the only option of a solutions manual for this textbook is pretty pathetic. Even ignoring for the fact that random answers are missing, it rarely gives explanations or gives the step by step process/mechanism of how to get to the answer. Even when explanations are given, they are usually poorly worded, lacking important information, and too cryptic to understand unless one already knows the material (and that person wouldn't need a solutions manual anyway). Obviously just having the answers may be necessary for a student to check his/her answer for correctness, so students in that position are caught in a bit of a pickle. All in all the author should be ashamed for charging so much for a product so clearly lacking.
on July 25, 2013
Although I didn't use this book very much, I heard from other classmates that it was a very good tool when preparing for exams. I used other methods of preparing for exams and still did great in Organic Chemistry, so this purchase was kind of a waste of money for me (besides the fact that I could sell it to a student taking it the semester after me)! If you feel you might need a little extra help in Organic Chemistry, I'd suggest buying this book.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 26, 2012
Great solutions manual to support the Bruice textbook. The only thing I would have liked to see more is a bit more detail for some of the reaction problems. Or if their are multiple ways to carry out a problem, I would like to see solutions for several ways to get to the answer.
on July 30, 2013
I used this for college O Chem and it was very nice. The only thing thats hard is to not have like a full description as to why and where some of the things are happening. Very happy with product though.
on June 15, 2012
A must-have great resource to accompany text book. Well worth the cost. In addition to solutions of textbook problems, there are also "special topic" sections that are great for studying and reviewing.
on January 23, 2013
I find this indispensable in my learning of organic chemistry. The solutions manual gives thorough and detailed explanations, practice tests, and other helpful material for understanding the textbook problems and concepts.