Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7, starting at $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 209 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 236 reviews
on November 14, 2015
It has been many years since I had to take a math class from my previous degree. With my career change, I had to take a college level class since they felt my previous algebra class was more of an intermediate class. This book was required for my college. I have to say - I REALLY like this book. It has made math very easy to pick back up again. We are not doing all the chapters in the book, but it has been really good at explaining the concepts, demonstrating how to get to the answers with many examples and then having practice exercises to do.

I don't know if it is because I have had college math in the past, but I think this textbook did an excellent job in clarifying how and why you perform a problem.

There were some problems that there were incomplete instructions. For example, Chapter 3: Logic, example 6. This was an example of an argument with 3 premises using a Truth Table. I had understood everything up until then. I even got most of the truth table done, BUT there were no instructions on what to do with the table results from the added third premise. Which column do I take to complete the truth table argument with the consequent, since there are three premises in the antecedent? It's like it is missing a step in explaining what to do with the third antecedent to complete the equation.

I also found a gap in my understanding in the Statistics chapter dealing with normal curves and deviations (Chapter 13.7). For some reason I could not "get" the higher level concepts and had a little trouble understanding parts of it. This was not necessarily the textbook, but my own mental block. ;-)

Overall I really liked the book. I think there were those couple of issues I noticed. My nephew is in 9th grade and I think I will pass it on to him to help him with areas he is having some challenges because it explains most concepts so well.
on September 21, 2016
First let me say that I am not a math major. I purchased this book because the textbook that is required for the liberal arts math course I am enrolled in does not go into enough detail on how to work out the problems. I once took an algebra class that required a textbook by author Allen R. Angel --- and I recalled that the way the book was written made it very easy to understand the equations. I correctly assumed that A Survey of Mathematics would be as equally helpful since Angel is one of the co-authors of the book---- and I was correct! This book is excellent because it explains the concepts in an easy-to-understand language as well going into step by step detail on how to work out the problems. I highly recommend it!
on January 26, 2014
I purchased the book with ISBN:978-0321828040 which DID include the access code needed for my math course (no additional fee). I see that these reviews also include the book with ISBN:978-0321639325 which apparently does not include the access code.

Therefore if you need the access code AND the book, make sure you purchase ISBN:978-0321828040.
on June 18, 2017
I have taught my college developmental math class with all of the editions of this Lial book for 17 years. Such a great resource! The fact that this was loose leaf is even better.
on April 17, 2017
Came as described with code when bought new. Turned out I didn't need the code so I returned it and got it used, double check with your professor first! As described.
on December 18, 2014
Excellent book to buy, even if you do not have a class. It is great reference for those little things in math we forget how to do. Excellent step-by-step instruction and explanations are clear and concise. I will keep it forever.
on October 6, 2016
I wish this textbook offered more examples of math work for each lesson alonh with the step by step guidance on how to solve the additional problems. I do like that it offers a study test at the end of each chapter but not all the answers are listed in the back of the book within the key. This makes it hard for me to check work to make sure I am solving it correctly.
on January 23, 2017
The book was missing the codes to access the online material. We had to repurchase the book new from the book store. Purchasing this book from you was a complete waste of money.
on January 29, 2015
The book was fine however I ordered it with the mathlab access card package and I received an arts lab card package that did not work. (I paid more for the book to include the access card). When I called I was told they don't guarantee the access cards will work. All they could do is let me return the book. My class had already started so I ended up buying the access code seperate when I could have got the book from school book store with card included much cheaper. I will not do that again.
on November 27, 2012
Embarrassingly I am terrible at Math. In high school I tried very hard to learn what I could, but here I am seven years later and all the knowledge I gained then is completely gone. I ordered this text book to re-educate myself and it is AWESOME! It was exactly what I was looking for. It takes you through real life problems and teaches you how to solve them. I'm feeling better about myself every day that I work in this book. I recommend this to anyone looking for a refresher course of High School, or even people that are IN High School.