Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 218 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 228 reviews
on October 16, 2016
For an introductory Biology class this is a really good supplemental study aid. I have a terrible lecture professor who barely skims the material, so this text has really helped me attain a better grasp of the material. It is written in very plain language, although there are some particular chapters in the book which are so densely packed with information, anyone can get bogged down by it very quickly. (Cells - omg.) Some of the chapters are short, while others are long, so don't get "used" to a certain time period that you will study for, as for me it varied between half an hour to read a chapter to almost two hours. Even more if you're going to take notes at the same time.

Anyway thank you to the writer and publisher for making this text available as a rental - it saved me so much money, and the content of the book itself is very well organized and written.
on April 28, 2013
Whoever thought it was a good idea to make this thick book a softcover, I tell you: it was not. The shear weight of this book, combined with the thin, slippery cover, makes it difficult to hold onto the book. Additionally, for whatever reason, whenever I put this textbook into my messenger bag (a regular messenger bag, nothing special), it always ends up bent and wedged under my other books. It's hard to even pull it out because there's no friction. I try to keep my things nice, but this book was the only one in my possession with dog ears and crinkles after merely one semester of use.

Asides from the obvious issue, this book was very informational and to the point, and it explained difficult aspects of biology in such a simple, succinct manner that I learned more from it than I did in many of my previous textbooks. I know I might be unfair if there is a hardcover available, but if there is not, this book can be a hassle. Get the hardcover.
on July 12, 2016
The book was correct, but the code that came with the package didn't work for my class instructor code. I had to send it back before I lost any more points on my assignments.
on August 23, 2016
Rental does not come with e text or access codes, better off just renting the book for cheaper: Campbell Essential Biology with Physiology (5th Edition)
on August 2, 2017
I really like how the book uses real world examples and explains things in the most basic way. However, there seem to be some parts where the specific definitions of certain words, parts, and concepts is a bit unclear. But I can't tell if that's just me overthinking it, the concepts being hard, or both...

All in all, it seems like a pretty decent book for my bio course
on October 21, 2016
Wonderful book! Very clear, a lot of simple analogies which help you understand complicated concepts and processes (homologous pairs of chromosomes compared to a pair of shoes - ingenious! LOL), a lot of pictures and many different interesting facts. This is a great book! I am really enjoying it! I don't remember any other college books that made me so interested in the subject as this one! Recommend it to everyone!
on August 15, 2012
The class is over, but I'm still reading this textbook. I, a former non-biology major, have thoroughly studied units one and two. I didn't appreciate the quality of this book until I purchased other biology textbooks to further my knowledge.

This textbook is easy to understand. It builds your knowledge up from the bottom, and every matter mentioned can be understood if you apply the prior information.

So far, the only exception to the above is the lack of in-depth chemistry in unit one, Cells. It has basic visual models of molecules, but it doesn't go deep into why the chemicals interact in certain ways. Instead, it makes simple representations that convey the functions of the molecules. This is good if you don't want to learn in-depth chemistry, but I found myself wishing I knew more of the chemistry behind the reactions.
However, you might want to skip unit one because unit two, Genetics, is far more interesting. Plus, if you skip it because you didn't want to read about chemical interactions, unit two might do a better job of engendering your interest in biochemistry because you can't understand the functions of individual genes unless you know some biochemistry.

The book's orientation around building your understanding replaces the persuasive argumentation and other rubbish that lurks within other textbooks. There are no separate boxes of text meant to change your stance on controversial issues, nor are there little comics with jokes about current issues. It's just science.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 16, 2017
the book came in decent condition. there were a few rips that i don't mind but something like that always worries me a little.
on April 14, 2017
Such good condition! Thank you!
on June 21, 2017