Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Life with Mr. Dangerous
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

50%
50%
Format: Hardcover|Change

on July 6, 2015
Hirnschemeier's art is fantastic. His ability to zero in on very specific emotions is also impressive, i.e. the combative conversations between Amy and her mother, and the narratives that play in Amy's head during her attempts at dating. The overall picture, however, is just too derivative of other stories and artists, most obviously Daniel Clowes. This is my first look at Hornschemeier, so I will give him another chance. As far as "Mr. Dangerous" goes, though, I've seen it before.
on April 23, 2012
Mr. Hornschemeier is a wonderful artist. He has the rare ability to bring together poignant meditations across word and image to create a mood that is wholly his own, and yet very identifiable to anyone who resides a bit adrift of the world. His is a storytelling you don't want to miss.
on May 14, 2013
I met Paul at the AppleSeed Con in Fort Wayne over this past weekend. We talked a bit about his writing and life and I bought this book. The art is what drew me to his table but the words and story will stay with me. It's one of those books that I plan on keeping.

At times this book, which went by way too fast, made me want to crawl in a box and close the lid. It had me feeling so tight for Amy, the lead, that I also wanted to turn into the barrette which held her hair back just so I could see from her view what her life is like. Such a great read, that it mostly left me wanting more.

Paul, kudos on a fantastic novel and I can't wait to pick up more of your work.
on October 18, 2011
Amy is a 20-something year old in a dead end job, without many friends, and is suffering from some form of depression. She's just broken up with her latest bad boyfriend and there's seemingly nothing positive on the horizon. And her best friend lives in San Francisco. What's a girl to do? She drowns herself in reruns of a cartoon called "Mr. Dangerous" and trudges through the day to day job, takes care of her cat, and talks with her depressed, divorced mother. But...new people enter her world and hope may come from an old friend.

I was really excited when I saw this graphic novel at the local bookstore. When I picked it up and flipped through it I thought the artwork looked interesting and that the description of the story sounded unique. I mean I came close to buying it on the spot. But...while it's a good story it's just more of the same that you already see from people like Daniel Clowes, Chester Brown, Jeffrey Brown and others. I just get tired of reading the same type of story time after time, of a lovelorn something year old that's working a dead end job and just doesn't seem to get out of it or have hope in their world. I want something different and this just doesn't have it. While it's a semi-realistic story, it's just depressing on the whole to read and there are only so many of them that I can read.

The writing style and the artwork both remind me of Daniel Clowes, especially in the color choices with the solid colors, and no real shadows to the figures. The artwork is solid and has some nice character design, and the color choices used are interesting. But...while it isn't bad there just isn't anything that stands out to me as being different or great, other than a few scenes depicting Mr. Dangerous.

It's not a bad book, but after reading it I'm not as excited as I was when I first picked it up. And I would recommend just picking it up from your local library for a read.