Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7, starting at $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite uncharted Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 49 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 76 reviews
on August 30, 2002
Even my daughter the confirmed punk rocker howled with delight when she read it. It's just Willie having fun, telling war stories, Texas tales, and some of the dirtiest jokes you'll ever read. For long-time Willie fans, it's filled with lyrics to classic Willie songs, and, even better, to his obscure, mostly long-forgotten songs. One of the lyrics has a legend not in the book attached to it: Willie and Johnny Bush are on a tour bus, Willie says something like "I can write a hit song about anything in 15 minutes." Bush says "You're on!", they bet something best left unmentioned, and hands him a newspaper story he'd been reading about a woman found strangled. "I Just Can't Let You Say Goodbye" is in the book ... maybe the bloodiest country song ever ...."... the flesh around your throat is pale, indented by my fingernails, now you can't scream and you can't cry, and I just can't let you say goodbye ..." When you see the lyrics to "Crazy" in print, you realize all over again what a wonderful wordsmith Mr. Hugh W. Nelson is. It's a book I have read and re-read, gave a dozen copies of it as gifts when it first appeared, some of them to musicians who'd played and toured with Willie. "Yup, he hasn't changed a bit!"
on May 30, 2017
I thought I I had purchased this large print "Dirty joke book" for my elderly 82 year old mother who just went to assistant living to cheer her up. she loves to read and tell jokes that shes heard or read. When ordering , I searched for LARGE PRINT JOKE BOOKS and this book showed up ! she was looking forward to receiving it!
However; This is NOT a joke book! A disappointment and waste of time and. money.
on June 27, 2012
Songbook, diary and autobiography. You can look for each song on Youtube or similar and give yourself a private concert, or you can simply read them as poetry, sitting at a cosy fireside, in a wood, on a hill, or wherever you feel comfortable and meditative. Diary and autobiography are endearing by their candid honesty, telling in a matter-of-fact way about his blessings, successes and shortcomings - the latter with a roguish twinkle, being sure of the indulgence of his audience.
Having delivered my praise, why just 3 stars? Sorry, but European women of my generation are ingrained feminists, so some of the dirty jokes are simply unacceptable. It's just a matter of cultural divergence - I know rather blasphemous jokes which I gladly share at home, but would never dream of telling an American.
At last, a tiny correction (p. 167): You won't find the Proverbs in the New Testament, they're in the Old!
on January 11, 2015
Light and generous. My husband read it aloud to us and sometimes couldn't read because he was laughing so hard. It is something of a thank you letter from Willie to many people in his life.
on July 26, 2002
If you bought "Willie", buy this for dessert! If you haven't bought "Willie"...go do it~Now!....It's better'n any fictional account of anything you're gonna be finding-guaranteed! I also bought his Rainbow album and his interactive CD "Willie..life & times of.." Willie fans 'need' these rarities and won't be disappointed ~ unless they miss getting them for their collection...I used to spend my New Year's Eve's at his "New Year's Eve Parties" in Houston and sure miss those days, too. He is one multi-faceted, talented and unique All-American Treasure who just keeps getting better with age. If you heard the Art Bell Show, when he interviewed Willie..and that's all you know about this entertainer, let me tell you that Art fumbled the ball on that one and should've read one of these beforehand...so don't you miss out - buy the book(s)!
on August 21, 2017
A somewhat tell-all of his experiences in the entertainment business.
on May 5, 2012
...is the only word I can come up with to describe my feelings after reading this book. Although Willie's stories were entertaining and I did chuckle at some of them, there wasn't enough of them. More than half the book is made up of the lyrics to his songs. If you're a Willie fan like I am, you would already know the lyrics to all his songs. Sorry, Willie. You missed hitting the fairway with this one.
on March 10, 2013
I purchased Willie's new book, "Roll me up and Smoke me when I die" and really enjoyed it. It was funny and gave me new insight and respect for Willie. So I decided to order this one but was disappointed. The jokes were not funny, it lacked much personal insight into the man himself and it contained page after page of song lyrics. I really did not want to read the lyrics and skipped over many of those pages. Not as good as his current book.
on May 28, 2010
having been a willis fan for many past eons (at least it seems that long) it is a pleasure reading this witty, humorous, and completely delightful side of an all american hero/icon. He is great on stage, but he is there to play music - thank god - not to be a humorist. He does both well... bettter than well. It is a grand read for anyone, even tho you're not a country music fan. However, I cannot imagine such a person. Having worked in country radio for many years, i cannot imagine a world without willie! I highly RECCOMEND this slim missive!! Dick Patterson from Reno, Nv And Vallejo Ca
on July 25, 2017
This book kept me in stitches. It. Was also very informative and entertaining. I am going to read other books by Willie.