Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 21 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 28 reviews
on May 20, 2012
This is not the only edition of the Western Garden Book I have owned. My gardens have been guided by one edition or another of this "garden bible" since the early 1980's, when I planted my first garden. The older editions have been handed down to my daughters, once they became interested in gardening. The detailed climate categories provided by Sunset are invaluable for choosing plants and predicting their success. The Sunset climate zones encompass subtle differences in temperature and moisture (a few miles in either direction brings you to a whole new climate zone with its own subtle attributes). The "standard" U.S. climate zones (1-10) promulgated by most nurseries and online plant providers, are simply too broad to make good decisions on which plants to select. For instance, the majority of Los Angeles County is Zone 10 according to most planting guides. Same as Hawaii and Florida. But within L.A. County, there are about 8 different Sunset Climate Zones. Because I live in the foothill area north of L.A., I get enough winter cold to grow lilacs. No lilac sold would ever list Zone 10 as an appropriate climate, so I would never even have attempted them. What a loss that would have been! Along with the invaluable climate information, the Sunset Garden Book contains detailed information on plant growth, propagation, care, watering, sunshine requirements, pruning, pests and everything else you need in order to become a confident gardener. Common names of plants are given as well as the botanical names. There are lovely full-color sections devoted to plant use (for instance, what to plant near pools, or what to plant for fall color, which plants attract birds and butterflies, etc.) Though I am no longer a novice gardener, this book is still the first one I turn to when I wish to add something new to my garden. This book is a must for any Western gardener. -- Felicia Rose Levitt, author of "The Road to Aradell: A Sexy, Complicated Love Story."
on September 21, 2008
I have relied on Sunset's Western Garden Book, in its various issues, for many years. From time to time, about every 3-4 years or so, they re-publish it. This particular issue has become my favorite "Working Bible" and I keep one copy in the house for reference and another in my garden/yard supply area. I bought this copy to give to my daughter and her husband, to introduce them to gardening in the Northwest, and to reduce the number of times I have to answer her questions by phone. Now I can simply refer her to the appropriate page of her own "Sunset Garden Book".

The two or three recent re-issues of Sunset's Western Garden Book have become more "posh" and sophisticated, like coffee-table issues, not meant for nitty-gritty work in the yard.

The particular volume I bought on Amazon was in incredibly perfect condition; my guess is that the original owner had never even opened it (it was inscribed as a Christmas gift from his parents!) And the price was amazing.
on May 14, 2014
This is a great book, it gives all the necessary information needed to be successful in horticulture. The book was recommended by Utah State University and I am not disappointed.
on April 23, 2014
What a shame Sunset did not make an Eastern garden book, but if you live here in the eastern U.S. , dont be afraid to buy this book, a great deal of the plants in it are imported from our neck of the woods, and still others will survive here. The book is informative and comprehensive covering hundreds of plants. My last copy was stolen on a college campus, and i sure missed it.
on October 28, 2016
Book was in very good condition as advertised. An excellent reference book, for a reasonable price.
on February 12, 2017
Amazing book that uses regions & zones for best plants for the area. ❤
on May 18, 2016
This is the gardeners bible. It's a bit old school, but it is definitive.
on May 7, 2016
Best garden book ever written...a gardeners bible.
on July 10, 2015
This is the book every gardener needs. It gives you the information you need to start and maintain your garden.
on April 29, 2014
sunset has been written for people in the west and is helpful for all basic gardening questions. i buy a new western garden book
every few years.