Spring Deals Automotive Magazine Deals New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now TG18SW_gno

John Donne's Poetry (Norton Critical Editions)
Format: Paperback|Change

on November 23, 2015
Outstanding resource
Harold Bloom's praise is fully-merited
Too bad the cover portrait is not discussed in such a brilliant compilation
on November 9, 2013
I really was very happy with price/condition of the book. I always prefer to source books through Amazon since the price point and selection seems to really be better than at my local bookstore giants.
on July 15, 2013
Bought a new book from this seller, but it's clearly not new. The cover is fraying slightly, the pages are barely off-white with age, the cover is a little more matte than shiny. It came in clear plastic packaging, so it's clear to me that the seller simply re-packaged a book sitting on a shelf. But it's definitely usable and not too used for me to be turned off. I guess it's worth a buy...
on March 3, 2011
John Donne wrote some of the most beautiful, intelligent, and passionate poetry in the English language! With some poets you get 1 or 2 of these qualities: with Donne you get all 3, and so I highly recommend his poetry to all lovers of poetry and English literature. The language is archaic and at times difficult, but that's also some of its beauty and charm. What's more noteworthy but less noticed than the oldness of the language is how fresh and alive it still seems and must have seemed in centuries past! While I love Donne's poetry especially because of his intelligent and beautiful passion for God, even those without religious faith will appreciate the brilliance and glory of Donne's poetry.

If you're able to keep up with Donne's poetry, you'll discover startling phrases and juxtapositions which were frowned upon in ages past but which I find helps invigorate the modern reader. Whether your primary way of apprehending poetry is religious, intellectual, or aesthetic, Donne will be a delight to you as it does me. Donne's poetry also has a very personal association with me: when I was courting my wife and in the early years of my marriage, I would read her the poetry of Donne and George Herbert. She not only loved the poetry but loved me more for having read it to her!

This Norton Edition is the definitive collection of Donne's poetry, and at a decent price. Not only have the poems been based on the best manuscripts but there is also an abundance of critical apparatuses. "Donne and Metaphysical Poetry" includes seven seventeenth-century views by his contemporaries. "Satires, Elegies, and Verse Letters" includes seven selections that offer social and literary context for and insights into Donne's frequently overlooked early poems. "Songs and Sonnets" features six analyses of Donne's love poetry. "Holy Sonnets/Divine Poems" explores Donne's struggles as a Christian in four essays. A chronology of Donne's life and work is also included.

Highly recommended!
on September 16, 2013
JOHN DONNE'S POETRY. Selected and Edited by Arthur L. Clements. 1992. A Norton Critical Edition.

Many years ago, I had had a book titled "Death Be Not Proud". This book was a memorial for that was written by some man who had lost his young son who died from a brain tumor.
Since then, John Donne's poems came to me, but now, there is only one of this poem (Holy Sonnet-X-) which I can recite.

There are many books of Donne's poetry. Among them, this book is very useful by a lot of the helpful foot notes. Criticism (the second part in this book) has many more pages than the poetry part. There are 31 valuable treatises.

This book has the Solemnity in Passion, exactly as Author himself.
HALL OF FAMEon January 7, 2006
This selection of the most important of Donne's poems complemented by critical articles that provide insight into the techniques and meanings of one of the most intellectually challenging of the great English poets is first -rate.

Donne's greatness as a poet is in part in his making passionate argument of ideas, in his fusing the world of sense and idea in startling combinations. His poems of Love and of Death are among the most profound and moving in the language.
on June 6, 2007
Since my youth I have admired the poetry of John Donne. Not for its overwhelmingly religious and theological sentiments but for its individuality.One can take a subject that he was writing on in one poem, say mortalism, and see it interpreted in another way in another poem dedicated to another patron. It was only later that I found out that my intuition about what amounts to the theological opportunism of the Rev. Mr. Donne was more than a literary devise. He was desperately trying to keep his head above water in the on-going theological struggles that held England in their grip for most of the 17th century. I am much more of a philosophical materialist now than I was in my youth however these metaphysical poems still mean something to me. The `deathless' "Death Be Not Proud" is still one of my favorite poems in the English language.
on June 4, 2009
"Donald Dickson's John Donne's Poetry is the best text of Donne now available. It is scrupulously edited, and equally useful for students and for scholars." --Harold Bloom

Harold Bloom is wrong. Period.

If you, as a reader, value Donne's own editorial punctuation - his indications as to how the meter of the poem should be read - don't buy this book. Dickson is inconsistent. He notes some of Donne's indications while he ignores others. What's worse, he gives the reader no indication that he is doing so. I strongly recommend Patride's edition of Donne's Complete English Poems. For a clear discussion of this, feel free to check out my post on "Batter my Heart" at my blog "PoemShape".

You will also find a link to Patride's edition (also at Amazon).
55 comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 14, 2000
John Donne was truly a poetic master. Preeminent among the metaphysical poets, his talent shines brightly in both his early secular and later religious poetry. This volume is particularly useful in its helps with the texts and its discussion and analysis of the meaning and impact of his work. I find these aids useful indeed with a more "difficult" poet like Donne. This book is a good starting place for the study of John Donne's poetry.
11 comment| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 3, 2016