Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon toystl17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 186 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 218 reviews
on May 7, 2013
Being an introvert, I purchased this book because I recently started a new job and was looking for tips on ways to come out of my shell, as I am usually pretty reserved around new people. I enjoyed reading it- it's always comforting to know there are other people out there who think/act/feel the way you do. But while the book really hit the nail on the head in many cases, I felt like there was a lot more that could have been discussed,as well as some areas that could have been discussed less. For instance, there was an excessive amount of information about coping with parties, but only one small section on navigating relationships as an introvert. I felt that since the author was married, she didn't feel the need to go into too much detail about dating struggles among introverts- the difficulty of meeting new people, the feeling that you aren't interesting or exciting enough,etc. Plus,there really weren't a whole lot of tips for how to come out of one's shell, because the author seemed more interested in getting the readers to accept their introverted behavior rather than trying to modify or change it. I will say,though, that I finished the book with a better ability to recognize my own needs as an introvert and be more aware of when I've reached my social limits. All in all the book is quite good, and I would certainly recommend it to other introverts.
on September 13, 2014
Already in my bank of reviews (q.v.) are PhD Laurie Helgoe's "Introvert Power: Why Your Inner Life Is Your Hidden Strength" (out in 2008),

"Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking" by Susan Cain (2012),

and "Party of One: The Loners' Manifesto" by Anneli Rufus (way back in 2003).

Why did I think I wanted to read another book on introversion?

Anyway, I ran across "The Introvert's Way, Living a Quiet Life in a Noisy World" by Sophia Dembling (2012), and (late though I was) I'm glad I did. (She's Sophia with a long "i", not Sophee-a.)

Ms. Dembling covers the field. You're an introvert. So, there are standard things you likely hate. Including, the telephone (that's BIG). Skype. Chitchat. People bothering you at the gym. Not being left alone. That's including people inviting themselves as a houseguest for days on end. Not only are we not a Bed & Breakfast, we're not a Bed & Breakfast, Lunch, & Dinner, nor are we their entertainment source and day tripper thrown in. Pull-ease! Give us some space.

And Dembling lists the standard introvert preferences: email, writing, books, home alone, infrequent parties.

And since we live in the biased American culture of extroversion, Ms. Dembling builds courage to be and live who you are. That's primary, for sure.

Her writing can be down and gritty (I won't say "down and dirty"). She's smart, deep, insightful. She comes across in a colloquial, breezy, and occasionally profane style. In keeping with the guides for Amazon reviews, I can't cross the borders here. Even after all the other books, I like this one very much.
on May 16, 2016
I was not a fan of this book. It read as a blog put together and called a book. It is very simple and believe that it could be tailored to a young adult. I found that a lot of the content generalized and did not apply to only introverts, yet the way it read was that such characteristic only applied to introverts. For example, there is a section that talks about how introverts do not like talking on the phone (a statement I do not believe is necessarily true) and how it is easier to talk on the phone if you are on a Bluetooth. First, this statement is a generalization, second I think that everyone, introvert, extrovert or ambivert, would find talking on a Bluetooth a lot easier and, third there are no footnotes and most of the statements made are not backed up by studies (there are a few exceptions) so it makes me feel as if a lot of it is the author's opinion (hence what I stated above reads like a blog). Personally, I would not recommend this book. I found “Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking” a much better read.
on December 30, 2012
I was introduced to this book after reading an article by Sophia Dembling in the Wall Street Journal on December 14, 2012 entitled "All I Want for Christmas Is...A Little Space," so I picked up a copy of "The Introvert's Way" in hopes of learning more about introverts like myself. I was not disappointed.

Ms. Dembling immediately dives into shattering the common misconceptions on introverts. Distinguishing shyness from introversion, she states "shy people are scared of socializing. Introverts just aren't always interested in it." She separates introverts into "shy" and "not shy" categories, shredding the common misconception of all introverts being the former. Because of society's preference for extroversion over introversion, a lot of the "not shy" introverts are able to give off the impression of being an extrovert when they really aren't. Ms. Dembling even cites a study that shows it's a lot easier for introverts to act as extroverts than it is for extroverts to act as introverts, perhaps because introverts are more experienced at putting on--as Ms. Dembling refers to it--the "dog-and-pony show."

Moving beyond the comparisons between extroverts and introverts, this book does teach a lot to introverts about their own nature. She spends a bit of time talking about what introverts like to do, such as hiking, biking, kayaking, coffee shops, reading, walking, yoga, one-on-one conversations with good friends, writing, and other activities that encourage concentration and solitude. I'm personally interested in trying out her suggestion on mountain climbing, so perhaps other readers will be encouraged to try some of the other suggestions that Ms. Dembling says introverts like to do.

Most of all, as a self-proclaimed introvert, I was already comfortable with my own nature. However, Ms. Dembling's book made me even more content with myself. She writes that extroverts and introverts are better off letting each other be themselves, since we won't be able to change each others' nature anyway (introversion will probably stick with you throughout your entire life, she writes in the aforementioned Wall Street Journal article). Since nobody can change an introvert's way, we may as well try to understand it. This book is a good place to start.
33 comments| 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 2, 2013
This book is so right on target, I want to give 6 stars. After years and years (i.e., a lifetime) of feeling different and knowing that I am different from so many people I come in contact with, at last I can understand and celebrate that difference. It's an easy book to read in a day or two, and I resonate with about 90% of it, maybe more. It's one thing to feel overwhelmed, on overload, depleted of energy by a crowd of people, etc. -- but it's another thing to understand fully how that happens and, just as important, to understand that it's not negative, it's not peculiar, it's not anti-social, it's not abnormal and it doesn't need "fixing," as so much of society has taught us or told us. As a person who buys a lot of books, reads them and ends up donating maybe 80% of them, I can honestly say, this is one book I will keep and read again, and look forward to reading again.
on May 22, 2017
As I was reading this I felt like introverts don't really need to read this book. It's like an introvert telling introverts what it's like to be an introvert. I think the only new advice I got that I forget about sometimes is that introverts can sometimes delve into topics too intensely for extroverts to handle and that can drive them away. If you really don't understand what it's like to be an introvert this could be a valuable read but if you are beyond your high school years this is more like 25 chapters of DUH.
on January 22, 2015
I was excited about this book after reading the online sample, but working my through the book it was clear that this was a compilation of shorter online postings. Any individual chapter was fine, but put together there just wasn't an overall conclusion to take away from the book. I don't feel like I really gained anything from reading this book other than just passing the time. I've got Quiet coming up in the next few months and hopefully that one will be a bit more robust in terms of overall insight based on something more concrete than just the wandering blog posts found here.
on December 28, 2013
Get this book along with Susan Cain's "Quiet." They go together like peanut butter and jelly. Cain's impeccable research and Dembling's wit are a godsend for the introvert. As I read this book, I found myself saying "that's me" over and over. Dembling also touches on the fact that introverts can be an angry bunch because we have been misunderstood for so long. Oh, wow. Yes, yes, yes. We are not anti-social, shy, agoraphobic "weirdos." We just don't like a bunch of mindless chatter and people getting in our faces. Having my hate for the phone validated was like having an angel weep on me from Heaven. Plus, Dembling's funny, and we "innies" need a sense of humor to survive a world that rewards and loves the extrovert. A brilliant introvert herself, Dembling walks the walk and talks the talk. Extroverts (especially the pushy ones) need to read this book. Then, they need to stop inviting us to karaoke.
on November 21, 2016
“One of the risks of being quiet is that the other people can fill your silence with their own interpretation: You’re bored. You’re depressed. You’re shy. You’re stuck up. You’re judgemental. When others can’t read us, they write their own story—not always one we choose or that’s true to who we are.”
― Sophia Dembling, The Introvert's Way: Living a Quiet Life in a Noisy World

All introverts will definitely agree on most of Sophia's points, whilst curious extroverts, who would chance upon this book and chose to read it, would find this as an eye-opener.

To Sophia, thank you! I found myself grinning (and silently laughing) and nodding whilst reading. :)
on November 12, 2015
I read Susan Cain's book, Quiet, just over 18 months ago, and it changed my world. Sophia Dembling's book, The Introvert's Way is a light-hearted, humorously approached, also sometimes sharp-tongued reveal of some of the situations and mindsets introverts experience, with more than a hint of irreverence toward, though fair treatment of, extroverts. I enjoyed The Introvert's Way but found it a light read, perhaps mainly because Susan Cain's book had already, earlier, exploded the revelations of recognizing myself in print (finally!), and prepared me for The Introvert's Way. Sophia Dembling provides insights, wisdom, and challenge, with some touchback to experts and case studies, and provides a worthy read - the depth is there, but the tone makes the content accessible in a way different than Quiet. I've finished reading the book and forwarded to a colleague, also an introvert, for his perusal. It is definitely worth the read, and the sharing.