BCA Month Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now PSFF17_gno

VINE VOICEon June 18, 2012
Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix is the most psychologically deep of the Harry Potter books that I've read (I haven't read 4, 6, or 7.) The Ministry of Magic launches a crusade against the perceived sub-standard curriculum of Hogwarts under headmaster Albus Dumbledore, while Voldemort and his Death Eaters launch a brazen attack on the shadowy Department of Mysteries.

The twin plot-line makes the 870 pages fly by, as the reader becomes psychologically invested in whether Harry Potter and the collection of wizards that make up the Order of the Phoenix can stop Voldemort and his Death Eaters, while saving Hogwarts from the meddling hand of the Ministry of Magic. Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix still features many of the things that I like about the earlier books, but enters into more adult themes, signifying that the characters in the book and its' young readers were getting older as well.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon June 23, 2003
After pulling an all-nighter to complete the first 500 pages, I was afraid picking it up again in the cold light of day would prove disappointing. Not so. This is by far the best H.P. yet. J.K. Rowling manages to believably intertwine the adolescent mood swings in the teen-aged characters with the corresponding exasperation and patience of the adults while telling an intricate tale of revenge, deceit and injustice. From the first three pages in which Harry, saving his dispicable cousin from the dementors, causes himself most unpleasant consequences, through the reappearance of several characters from earlier books, the introduction of the mysterious and strangely familiar Order of the Phoenix, really horrible conditions at Hogwarts culminating in a hilarious total breakdown of discipline, a breathtaking battle in the depths of the Minstry of Magic, tragedy and grief, not to mention the Harryotypical narrow escapes--this is one destined for the classics. Harry is a true hero--perservering in the face of overwhelming disappointment, disillusionment, guilt and grief--not to mention confusion over his first romantic encounter with a girl, struggling to balance his school obligations with the rather hectic events in the outside world surrounding Voldemort's return, and his changing relationships with his friends Ron and Hermione. The introduction of several new characters, notably Dolores Umbridge (wouldn't Prunella Scales be great in the part?) enhance the action in J.K. Rowling's very special character-driven way. Harry is beginning to show verge-of-adulthood traits such as guilt, anger and compassion for the underdog, and, when confronted with evidence that things and people are not always as they seem, handles these confusing and magical situations as any young adult would. Revelations about his past and his parents are both painful and surprising, but, after the initial upset, Harry regroups and carries on. (Can you tell, I'm trying very hard not to give the plot away?) Yes, a main character dies, and no, it's probably not who you think. It does have a profound impact on the story and on Harry, and this will undoubtedly reverberate in the books to come. Suffice it to say, some of the recurring characters have newly revealed motivations. This book is everything we've come to expect from Harry Potter; a page-turning story; unforgettable characters--both good and those we love to hate--great tragic and comic scenes AND there is a new depth to both characters and story. This should appeal to everyone. J.K. Rowling--You go girl!!
on August 31, 2017
An exceptional writer. J.K. Rowling's "Dickensenian" descriptive abilities of the soico-historical environment is impressive. She convinces the reader to believe in new worlds, new creatures, new human abilities, even while the rational self understands it is preposterous. This read is outstanding, as are the other volumes. I appreciated the simple optimism of the ending.
on July 17, 2003
I've been a fan of HP since quite some time and waiting for this book was not easy, although never an option.
In this 5th installment of the series, we see a more deep, dark side of Harry. He's more angsty than before, and although not as noble in some levels, he is still noble and trying to do the right thing.
Some reviewers bashed Harry's "arrogance" and angster, I, however see it differently.
Harry is 15 now, he is a teenager, asn apparently some of the reviwers forgot what it means to be a teenager. Me, being 22, still remember how full of anger I was, to the point where not even I could stand myself. So for me Harry's behavior is more than understandable. And considering what he has been through, I would dare to say that he took many things rather well.
In this book HP notices how things dont always work with what is right. How unfair the world can be, and how short life is. He faces death is a more personal level, and I have to agree with another reviwer that said that a particular death in the book was very much below the belt since Harry has gone through way too much to add a death that is simply heartbreaking.
Ron and Hermione are their ususal self, but if they keep fighting I might smack them both in the head.
A new character (one of many) is introduced. Her name is Luna "Loony" Lovegood. She is so adorable an so weird, but she is extremely likeable.
Hagrid's bits in the book were quite boring, i must painfully admit. But Umbridge makes up for this seldom bits.
Dumbledore's character is also more elaborated. We get to see another side of his, and a side that can be viewed as weak, but I only see it as human, which only adds to the list of reasons why Voldemort only fears Dumbledore.
Overall the book was fantastic, but more depressive and sad, than any of the other. I have to agree with JK in why did she made it so dark and that is because as we grow older life starts to lose it's fairness and we start seeing things under a different light, just as Harry is learning to.
Poor Harry his journey is still not over, and more diffucult than probably anyone I know including myself.
VINE VOICEon December 26, 2003
My opinon of this book is twisted. How did I managed to give this book five stars when it is the series' installment I most complained about? There are aspects so brilliant they make up for any flaw I might find--the second reading allowed me to see the reason behind these so-called flaws. The book is startling as an almost 180 degree flip from the cute, wonderlandish feel of the prior books, something I originally found disturbing.
And yet the disturbing quality is good. It's necessary as J. K. Rowling explores the world outside a child's fantasy. Some may complain, but Harry is growing up--I found his whiney attitude considerably mild in comparison with the many angst-ridden teens I've seen. Considering all that Harry has been through, I'd be more disturbed had he acted naturally. And let's remember that many teenagers do read these books--they need someone to connect with.
And connect teenagers should. The dark world that is this book is the twisted mutations of many things familiar to a teenager. The ultimate sinister teacher is embodied in Umbridge who, if examined, is morbidly evil in an even soulless way. Even tests are hyperbolized fantastically. Wild, enchanting, and over-the-top: I like it.
I feel J. K. has even improved in her writing. Tight, quick, description paints an incredible world beyond the now-familiar Hogwarts. It's a pivot: the once-strange school has become safe to readers, so Rowling takes them beyond it into the wide wizarding world.
This is an excellent fantasy, dark and rich and wonderful.
on August 31, 2007
It was with a poignant nostalgia that I received this book, the last of the Rowling's tremendous series. I remember clearly that first one that I opened. A little late to the game, I remember thinking I couldn't believe I was to read about wizards and fairies, a book obviously meant for sniveling 10-year-olds, but as I was under orders to read it from my wife (She Who Must Be Obeyed), I dove in, fully intending for the book to be the last of Rowling I ever read.

Now, years later, thinking back to every single book after that first one and the pleasure each brought during the glorious week (on average), it took to read, I can only say a heartfelt Thank You to J. K. Rowling.
The seventh does not disappoint. In some parts, the pace slows a bit and one wonders how it will all end, like the characters themselves, come to think of it. Not to worry, it's on again soon and the reader is treated to action, toil and trouble, heady stuff that through it all finds Harry hardening, becoming an adult and ready to handle the challenges thrown his way as The Boy Who Lived; to top it all off, there's an ending that is just delicious.

I felt like at the end of a bountiful, never-boring feast lasting years: utterly sated and strangely, ready for more!

By the way, as a Fred myself, I can't say I understand why my namesake had to be the one who went, when everyone knows George was the lesser twin! ;-)
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 4, 2011
This is my second time reading The Order of the Phoenix, I am re-reading the last 3 books in the Potter series, because there is so much going on, that one tends to miss alot, with the first reading. I start each of the books in Sept, just as Harry starts back to Hogwarts and read them through the cold Winter nights, rather than have the TV on.
The ONLY reason that I have not given the book 5 stars, is that I only to as high as 4, no matter what book it is.
Order of the Phoenix was the first time the series really started to get "dark", no more "kiddie" rides from here on out, as the evil side finally shows itself and comes out of the shadows.
In this book, the clear "battle lines" are drawn and both sides start to know that a final showdown, is the only way to end this conflict.
If you have already finished the series, as most Potter fans have, do yourself a favor and re-read the last 3 books, a second time and I bet you will enjoy them even more, than you did the first time around.
on July 26, 2007
I did not "meet" Harry Potter until January 2001 when I read the Sorcerer's Stone for an undergraduate college course dealing with forms of literature throughout our lives (from children's to adult books). I was intrigued by Harry and sought out his other books, eventually purchasing the set for myself.

Since Order of the Phoenix, I have been a die-hard Harry fan. Rowling has spun an enchanting tale that has obviously done some good since people are so willing to fight and argue about whether or not this or that happened after each subsequent book was published.

This final installment was much anticipated for me. I wanted to know if all of the rumors were true, and could this book possibly live up to the hype? For me, it did. It was everything to me a good book should be: some parts were funny, some parts were sad; there was bravery and cowardice.

The epilogue left something to be desired for me...simply because I wanted to know MORE than she gave. There were also several parts where I felt like she "hurried" across them without adequate explanation and I was again left wanting more details. Overall, however, I was glued to this book from the beginning and am sad that Harry's journey is over.

It was worthwhile and I think it speaks a lot that people all over the world have been so enraptured in "Harry-mania".
on February 25, 2013
This review applies to this book and the other one I have read: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. A compelling and entertaining story with fresh twists and turns. Really, though, the whole series is a single story, so It would be better to start at the beginning and read through to the end. It's clear, for the most part, that the bad guys are bad and the good guys are good, but Rowling does muddy the waters sometimes in a manipulative way. This applies to Snape, who seems to be a Slytherin baddie, but eventually turns out to be a self-sacrificing hero. It's ironic that fundamentalist Christian groups--not true Christians at all--have objected to the witchy trappings of the stories, considering that the whole story is a Christian allegory, with the Chosen One offering himself for sacrifice at the end and then is resurrected. It cannot be an accident that, in an age of declining readership, so many have read Rowling's stories.
on September 21, 2017
I am fairly new to Harry Potter but since picking up the first book in the spring I have obsessively worked my way through each one....can barely wait to start another. This final one did not disappoint. I have loved each and every one. Am so happy they are on my kindle as I will revisit them often.