Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Candy Corn Contest (The Kids of the Polk Street School)
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

Format: Paperback|Change

on July 6, 2013
I read this book when I was in third grade. I loved it, it was the first chapter book I read and I credit it for paving the way to my love of reading and books. When my very own third grader started struggling with reading I remembered this book. I was so happy to find it in Kindle form and bought it for him at once! We'll read it together, I said...it'll be fun, I sad! However, I had forgotten the part in the book where Matthew is made fun of for smelling bad because he's a bed wetter, how no one wanted to sleep next to him at the sleepover because he "lives in his own rainforest"....yikes!! My son is a bed wetter! The hurt I sensed in his eyes when we read the lines is burned in my brain forever....I can't believe I forgot about this! PLEASE Ms. Reillly-Giff...PLEASE update this book and make it for everyone. Even if a child is not a bed wetter, it is NOT ok for them to treat other kids the way these kids treated Matthew. On another note...there were a lot of misspellings in the kindle version.
on November 1, 1999
My third grade teacher read us this book during the fall holidays. At the age of 23, I still remember the title and how it made me like candy corn. I think it's a great story. I'm going to buy this book for my nephew.
on January 25, 2016
Got for my nine year old daughter who's in the fourth grade and I felt reading this was too young for her, but since she is struggling with reading she liked it and worked well for her.

It's about a boy, Richard, who's in the third grade and the teacher is having a Candy Corn Contest the last week of school before Thanksgiving. For every page the read from a book they get one guess at how many candy corns are in the jar. Richard, while in the classroom alone, stole three candy corns from the jar on the teachers desk and ate them. The teacher plans on the last day as a class to count how many candy corns are in the jar, but she already has the total of candy corns written on the bottom of the jar. Richard decided that he was going to change the number. Matthew his friend catches him and tells him that he can't cause the writing won't be the same, he doesn't do it. On the last day of the contest and everyone took their guesses, Emily won. Just as they were about to count the candy corn Richard tells the teacher the truth. But just before he does Matthew comes to his rescue with three candy corn to replace the ones he ate. He's teacher felt he was brave to tell her the truth.

A very cute story for your youngster, boy or girl. Easy reading with no real hard words.
on May 29, 2001
I read this book when I was in the third grade and I loved it!!! I probably read the book 20 times during my childhood. I am now 24, and still remember the yummy candy corn contest described in this book. :)
on December 1, 2014
Part of what makes this such a nice and engaging story for young kids is the fact that the characters are so real and easy to relate to. My kids tried their darndest to like Jack and Annie, but those two are boring as heck -- even with dinosaurs, mummies, and pirates. Meanwhile, Giff's characters make walking down the hall seem like an adventure.

Some people have expressed concern about how mean-spirited some of the characters are. They are kids, and that's how kids are. They are not old enough in the story to understand empathy. We had a child in my son's class who was bullied and we read this book to gain some insight into how hurtful bullying can be. This book does NOT encourage bad behavior. My son came away from it admiring the kindness of one of the teachers and felt like he learned a lot
on January 14, 2016
Even though I prefer reviewing full-length novels aimed at middle-grade and young adult readers, I definitely don’t want to overlook some of the outstanding chapter books aimed at younger boys. Patricia Reilly Giff’s “Polk Street School” series is an excellent example of these. One great advantage of this series is that if you like the characters, you can pick up the next book and follow your new friends into their next adventure!

In “The Candy Corn Contest”, Mrs. Rooney hosts a contest with her second grade class to see if anyone can guess the number of candy corns inside a jar on her desk. No one is successful, and during the week Richard “the Beast” Best accidentally discovers that the magic number is written on the bottom of the jar! Richard doesn’t want to be a cheater, so he has to find a way to get out of the contest without ruining everyone else’s fun.

This situation might seem simple, but it’s probably a major ethical dilemma for a second-grader! I think that the intended audience would really identify with Richard, especially if they thought he might get in trouble for being honest.
on October 16, 1999
I've read this book with my third graders for the past several years. They love it. They enjoy having a candy corn contest of their own while reading the book.
on January 16, 2015
My favorite part of this book candy corn contest when Richard told the teacher he had to go to the bathroom but he went up to her classroom and try to change the number on the candy jar. and Matthew was picking and seen and said what was you doing Ms.Roonney find out and she called the police and she saw his fingerprints. he stepped back he said sorry. the author wants me to learn from this book is being thankful never lie. Have integrity. the author choose Richard he thought Richard will be a good person for it and a good Leader.
on December 17, 2014
I remembered this one from my childhood and decided to read it aloud to my kids. They are enjoying it, but the kindle edition has a TON of errors. I image they are a result of whatever process was used to create a e-edition of this title, but there is at least one error on each page. Pretty distracting.
on October 30, 2013
I think the lessons presented here are very important. I think it is important for children to understand that there actions have consequences. This book shows children that it isn't okay to make fun of others under any circumstance. It shows that the way you treat others has a permanent consequence good or bad.
I think a better ending would have been better, but at the same time, I see that the author is trying to show that sometimes the consequences of our actions can be irreversible.