Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Battlefield of the Mind Devotional: 100 Insights That Will Change the Way You Think
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports

on January 25, 2009
First to know, this is a religious-based book. The author, Joyce Meyer, is a popular Christian author and speaker. Her television and radio programs air in many languages and countries. She has also written many books on Christianity, this being one of the more popular.

Battlefield of the Mind is about solving some of the common problems we all encounter in life, such as depression, anger, or worry, by getting you to examine the way you think about things, or as the book puts it, "you need to begin to think about what you are thinking about." And that's basically the goal of the whole book.

Other major points include:

-our actions are a direct result of our thoughts.
-thoughts take place in your mind, so your mind is in essence "the battlefield"
-if you have a negative mind, you will have a negative life
-on the other hand, if you renew you mind according to God's Word, you will have a positive life

Much of the book is devoted to getting the reader to change their thinking and discusses how to tear down the "strongholds" that the devil tries to set up in the mind. Joyce uses parables and many personal examples along the way- which makes the book very interesting to read.

In sum, if you're stuck in a rut for any number of reasons, and are looking for a book with a religious tone to help you out- I think its a good choice. Also recommend The Prayer Project: How Each One of Us Can Make The World a Better Place to Live - In a Few Minutes a Day. Peace.
66 comments| 299 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I received a teaching once that basicly said that when you get right down to it the Devil really only has two methods for tempting us: 1. Pressure 2. Pleasure. The Devil has three maxims which allows him to pull this off : 1. You (your own thoughts, bad habits, exc.) 2. The environment (Government, religious oppression, the systems of the world, exc.), and 3. Other people. Joyce Meyer's "Battlefield Of The Mind" is mostly geared at the one maxim each of us have the most control over (You, yourself, your thoughts, and YOU).

Joyce masterfully explains how that old Advesary The Devil works by waiting for the right moment (he`s not only a parasite but he`s also a predator). He waits to see where your weak, when your most vulnerable moment is, and he waits for that moment to attack. The Bible says "Resist the Devil and he will flee from you." Perfect example is Luke chapter 6, The devil waits for Jesus to be 40 days and nights in the wilderness before he attacks. He didn't come the first day to attack him when our Lord was at his strongest. Oh no, our advesary doesn't play fair; he bides his time and waits for your weakest moment and attacks. Jesus resisted him and the devil fled from him (for awhile). Best thing is we have victory through our risen Lord this very day if we claim it. Joyce does a great job of illustrating this in this book(though I don't know if she used the Luke example I used above or not).

I really got a lot of insight from this book. For example, one of the concepts in the book (in my own words) was "what comes out of your mouth had to originate in your brain." Sounds simple enough , but Joyce had a masterful way of describing every thought we commonly have today and referring it to biblical passages. About half way through the book I began to realize that the grumbling, griping, complaining, and various other human emotions and thoughts I have are not uncommon to our time. The children of Israel went through these same emotions and they are all recorded in Gods Word. I used to ponder how stupid these people must have been, but now I can see myself in them. It really was a humbling experience! Many of us make the same mistake over and over again and ask God, "Why don't you do something?" Truth is God has always been willing to help us. We are the ones who get in God's way by not bringing our thoughts into the obedience of Christ (2 Corinthians 10:5). Read this book and find out how you can change and train your mind to shut the door on The Devil and how to allow God to do what he's always been willing to do. BLESS YOU!!!

Hebrews 13:5b "for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee."

P.S. This book comes in many formats. There's the traditional version, teen version, devotional version, exc. It doesn't matter which one you use. Just read one of them. You will be blessed.
22 comments| 148 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Clearly written and biblically based, Joyce Meyer lays out the principles to stop the negativity in one's thinking, from the endless loop of senseless chatter that drifts through the mind to the ingrained fragments of resentment that might have festered for years, to the "wilderness mentality" that sets up road blocks to what the Lord wants us to do.

The advice she gives is to the point and easily understood, and if one is willing, easily implemented too. It is ideal for anyone starting out on the Christian path and also has invaluable reminders for those who have been whittling the chaff away from the wheat for years, as there is always a corner of our minds that can use a little extra sweeping.

"You cannot have a positive life and a negative mind" (pg. 12)."

Joyce Meyer cites many personal stories to illustrate her points with much honesty, and describes the tools she used to combat her personal battles of the mind and achieve balance in her life; Mental discipline of course is a never-ending battle, making the advice in this book (which can be applied to any faith) useful for our own well-being, as well as reflect in our relationships. "People living in the vanity of their own mind not only destroy themselves, but far too often, they bring destruction to others around them" (pg. 278).

Depression, confusion, doubt, fear, anxiety, "a judgmental, critical and suspicious mind", are all states that hold happiness and peace away from us, and the cure starts with self-observation and the renewal of the mind. Let Joyce help make the crooked path of one's daily thoughts straight with this well written and insightful book.
11 comment| 218 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 29, 2003
Your actions are controlled by the thoughts in your mind. This book teaches you how to gain more control over what goes on your your mind. She starts out in the first chapter explaining two primary truths from the Bible, from Ephesians 6 that we wrestle in the spiritual sphere and John 8 where Jesus told us that the devil is the father of lies. Consequently, the lies our mind believes are distortions which hold us back from attaining God's best. Chapter two picks up the familiar theme from Proverbs 23:7, as a man thinks in his heart, so is he. In chapter four we're encouraged that if the process of renewing our mind fails to reach its goal immediately, we are not to give up, that "little by little" we are headed in the right direction as we move forward. Chapter five affirms our faith. "...it shall be done for you as you have believed", the statement from Jesus in the sermon on the mount, is the theme of this section. Jumping ahead to chapter 14, she associates a passive mind with one influened by evil spirits. We're told, "the devil knows that inactivity, failure to exercise the will, will spell the believer's ultimate defeat" (p. 137). An empty mind that remains passive is open to all kinds of deception she tells us. We are warned to guard against passivity. On page 142 she adds, "you will not change your behavior until you change your thoughts." Moving into even more exciting revelation, she builds on this idea a few pages later by noting "God has a glorious plan for your life. These are the truths you must think on" (p. 159). She reminds us again that thoughts manifest themselves as actions. In emphasizing the importance of Bible study, she writes, "God's Word is His thoughts written down on paper for our study and consideration" (p. 164). This section also contains vital teaching on meditation and the rewards of reading the Bible. Part 3 deals with "wilderness mentality." This book will result in positive changes for anyone who reads it with an open mind.
on July 28, 2006
This is, by far,the best devotional that I have ever read. In fact I'm reading it daily the second time around and will continue to read over and over again. Every reading applies to that day and that day's trials. After reading it, I just rest in the Lord and meditate on the message. It gives me a peace and serenity that only the Lord's Word can provide. It's an imazing book that I highly recommend to anyone who wants to grow and have a deeper relationship with our Lord Jesus Christ.
11 comment| 77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 8, 1999
I had always wondered why I could not get past certain areas of my life. No matter how hard I tried it seemed that I was no better of today, then I was 18 months ago. I purchased Battlefied of the Mind and wow! As Joyce explained in the book, you must think about what you are thinking about. I never realized that my problem was my inability to control my thoughts. I found the part about the wilderness mentalities extremely helpful. I am a much more thoughtful person as a result of this book!
0Comment| 93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 23, 2006
I bought this devotional for my husband who requested the book under the same title - what we have found is that the devotional reinforces the excellent information from the book and helps you apply it in little doses - it is broken down in daily readings that really bring to heart the lessons you can apply that day and truly live the wisdom in the book.

Hebrews 13:5b "for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee."

on September 17, 2000
My comments are about the 1995 copyrighted edition (paperback). This book is a tremendous storehouse of information concerning spiritual battle. Those battles that are fought in the mind. This book ranks in the top 5 books I have ever read and has a special place among my favorites and reference books in my home office. It is marked up in every way, form and fashion. I've purchased numerous copies for friends. Joyce is right on target when she shares with the reader the sources of many of our "battles" in life. Daily renewal is the key. God's Word says we are to be renewed daily in the spirit of our minds. It is imperative to the Christian to live a "renewed" life DAILY. I hope this book will be as much a blessing to your life as it has been to mine. It is a must for every Christian's library!
on May 8, 2000
This book is food for the soul! I have grown from it and have recommended this book to several people I talk with who go through periodic bouts with depression. The content of this books is based on the truth regarding good vs. evil in our own minds. Summarily, we must all recognize that God is our source of light (good thoughts) and all else is darkness (negative thinking) in the war that takes place in our minds. Therefore, we must maintain our focus [in and] on the light. Joyce Meyer is a truly annointed woman of God who is blessed with the gift of keeping the word of God simple and plain and realistic so that we can see that there really is 'life in the word!