Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Fundamentals of Building Construction: Materials and Methods, 5th Edition
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Dolly Parton Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on September 4, 2010
I've owned it for six years, and it is still one of my go-to reference guides whenever I have doubts regarding certain materials & methods. The authors not only explain the construction process and materials involved, but also provide the (building) scientific context for many of the typically encountered assemblies in today's construction industry. If you're a student, please don't be intimidated by the sheer mass of this book. You'll be thankful for the solid foundation this book provides when you transition from academia to practice.

With that said, this book will not provide exhaustive detail on any particular type of construction (such a book will most likely not fit on any one bookshelf or hard drive), but it will certainly point you in the right direction whether you are searching for pre-determined solutions or are developing your own details.
on May 14, 2013
This book is required for my Building Construction classes (Architecture Major). The book itself is well written and is full of helpful drawings, details, diagrams, and photos.

I opted to get the Kindle version, the ability to search the book by keyword and reducing the size and weight of the book down to my tablet being the biggest reasons. I really liked it but it has had its shortcomings.

First off, it has no page numbers. Many kindle books have page numbers that coincide with their hardcopies (it may read Location 500 Page 60, Location 501 Page 60, Location 502 Page 61, etc) I can't see why it wouldn't be done here other than the fact that there are a lot of pages. Still, with the amount I am charged to buy the book I should expect these things.

Next, there are periodic mistakes in the book. Some are simple like sentences with no spaces in them but other are more severe. For example in Chapter 14, Location 13563 Figures 14.43 and 14.44 the images for each Figure are exactly the same. 14.43 is supposed to show One-way sitecast concrete framing systems but instead it shows a copy of the two-way. Mistakes like these are unacceptable in a book like this.

Lastly, there is on average one image for every two chapters that is "not available in this digital edition". I can understand that the copyright holders of some images may not want them available on a digital format but if that is the case why not come up with a substitute. Especially because, to my memory, all of the missing images I've seen are photographs of existing buildings (for example the end of Chapter 12 Location 11885 the photo of the sciences center at Dartmouth). Omitting the image shouldn't be the answer.

The book is otherwise a fantastic book and over the 6 months I've owned it I have been able to use it as a reference even outside my BC classes.
on April 9, 2009
I bought this book for a class I was taking in graduate school and it is phenomenal. It explains everything in great detail without the useless wordy paragraphs other books contain. Great pictures and overall great explanations of how things work.
on January 8, 2011
This is an introduction to construction techniques that is very well written and excellently illustrated. The coverage is very broad - masonry, steel frame, wood frame, cast concrete, etc., and the explanations in each area are all detailed. The only real criticism I have is that there are not too many references to other work.
on March 23, 2006
Every engineer must have one copy of this book.This is an updated edition of the previous ones.Very detailed description and pictures about construction.
on April 7, 2007
We used this book in my building construction class i took as a second year architecture student. The book is good for people who are learning the basics of how things work, are put together, what types of materials are used for different situations, etc. However if you are looking for detailed drawings, I would go elsewhere. The book is good for generalized explanations, so I did learn a lot from it.
on August 30, 2007
this book is an excellent overview of construction materials and practices. i really recommend this book to beginning structural/civil engineers who want to know more about construction. I would absolutely recommend this to architects because it's very practical.
on October 13, 2011
This is an excellent book. I am currently studying for the ARE in California. I borrowed the Second Edition from a coworker of mine for my first exam. That edition was full of good, accurate information. I am studying for another exam for the ARE and decided to purchase this book for myself. This edition is a couple hundred more pages than the second edition and is still just as good, if not better, than the second edition. My coworker purchased his book for a college course he took and still occasionally references that book through his work days. I tend to get most of my questions answered by looking up things in this book. Very good price for this book.
on October 22, 2013
I got this for my class and it serves it's purpose. The illustrations and diagrams are easy to understand and are very clear, however sometimes the way things are worded makes things harder to understand than they should be. I guess they didn't want to over simplify it so you feel that you're learning something important and difficult, but the writer(s) tend to over do it.
on August 10, 2011
Construction is a life long learning experience. This resource helps the reader incorporate thousands of hours in materials research into a book that is easy to read and understand. The concepts can be applied in broad ways to take advantage of many modern construction methods and materials.