Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

VINE VOICEon March 30, 2015
If you would rather stick your head in boiling wax than do math this could be the book for you. First the table of contents is very comprehensive so you can go quickly to the subject that is giving you hissy fits.

Everything is explained in plain, easy to understand language......"oooooh, that's what they meant"

Well, the title says it all.
48 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on November 30, 2016
I purchased it to practice on math.. I was going for a position in the Dept. Of Ed... Not a teaching position but assisting the teacher.. I had to pass the State Certification exams that were hours long and I was never good at math in School. This book more than equipped me for my tests! The tests questions seemed to be a lot easier than the practice sessions in the book which was great! I passed the tests so easily! Thanks
16 people found this helpful
on February 6, 2015
So I bought this and algebra 1 for myself and it's great I i haven't been to school in a long time and i totally skipped algebra like i never did it before and I want to go in the GED program so I wanted to know a little before I went so I wouldn't be so dumb when I got there. It's great little workbook to have.
review imagereview imagereview image
57 people found this helpful
on May 8, 2017
I bought this because I'm going back to finish my college degree and I need all the help I can get where Math is concerned. I really, really like this book. Not only does it teach you how to do the problems with examples and written explanations, but the answers at the end of the chapter show how the problem should be completed. It's the best.
6 people found this helpful
on March 18, 2017
I have been scared of math since the 6th grade! So far, this book has been easy to read and follow. I really believe I can learn this stuff because the material isn't intimidating. The author has done a great job. I recommend this book.
5 people found this helpful
on April 6, 2010
I bought the bundle of Basic Math and Pre-Algebra For Dummies plus the workbook. I started out trying to use them both but very quickly disregarded the book and worked only with the workbook. I figured I would reference the main book if I had any problems but ended up never using it at all. I have yet to receive my copy of Algebra for Dummies so I can't say that it doesn't pick up were this one leaves off, but I'm a little disappointed to see it's not by the same author.

Update 2014:

When I bought this book, it was because I was about to take a non-credit (as in, not actually college level) math class at the local community college and I wanted to catch up as I hadn't taken a math class since 8th grade and hadn't done well in one since 6th. I figured math wasn't really for me, and I was more of a creative type (or something). Obviously, I wasn't planning on taking any more math classes than I absolutely had to but this book gave me such a nice start that I got almost addicted to solving math problems. It set me up perfectly for that class, and the class after that, and the class after that, and ... I decided to keep taking math classes up through differential equations at the community college and now I'm at a university studying computer engineering. I recommend this book to anyone who is struggling with math - even at somewhat higher levels. It's not a waste of time to start from the beginning and figure out where the little holes in your education are, the holes that have been letting the newer things fall through and out your head and make you think you hate math. You don't hate it, I promise. If you can read, you can do math.

Update 2016:
My son goes to a Sudbury school where the students do not have mandatory classes. One of his high school aged classmates asked me if I could help her with math so I bought another copy of this workbook for her. She had a terrible time in school and never did well in math before she was taken out of public school in middle school. She hadn't done any math for a few years but wanted to brush up since she's old enough to take some classes at the local community college and a few years from graduating high school. Working 1-2 hours a week with me and then on her own time, she got through this book and into intermediate algebra in about 2.5 months. I'm really proud of her!
As for me, I'm two classes away from graduating with my bachelors degree. (Yes, I'm a slow poke, but I have to work and take care of a child at the same time!) One of my last two classes is a math class. I sure wish there was a For Dummies book for this one!
30 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on March 1, 2018
It's really not the best book if you're very far behind or just generally in a fog with basic math and pre algebra. It's not all that thorough with most explanations. Some are even left open ended and there aren't enough examples or sample problems. I'm making it work with the help of YouTube and free online resources that dumb it down even more. To make it clear, I already knew all my basic operastions and such, and still had issues with 70% of the material. I guess he just didn't explain it in ways that I could understand. We all learn differently.
One person found this helpful
on May 30, 2014
Being in my 70's I thought I should brush up on some math. This book was very easy to understand and very helpful. I would recommend this book to anyone.
24 people found this helpful
on April 28, 2015
I remember buying this same book for my daughter when she was going to school, and I know it helped her. So now that I'm taking a couple of college courses, I thought I would get it for myself. I have found it to be very helpful, especially with the fractions part. I would recommend this book to anyone.
5 people found this helpful
on August 4, 2016
bought for my 11 year old in sixth grade, to help with her math class this year. So far so good.
4 people found this helpful