Industrial Deals Children of Blood and Bone Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One GNO for Samsung S9 Prime exclusive: $24.99 for a limited time Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Dot Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

Fundamentals of Queueing Theory
Format: Hardcover|Change

VINE VOICEon November 9, 2007
I used this book to supplement a course in queuing theory and found it to be more readable than other books on the topic, including ELEMENTS OF QUEUING THEORY WITH APPLICATIONS. This may not be a book to pick up for casual reading to learn about queuing theory, but if you are taking a queuing-theory course, I would highly recommend it. I struggled with deciding to give this book four or five stars: Four stars because I feel that the derivations of various queuing models could have been presented in a clearer manner. Five stars because I think it's the most readable queuing-theory book I have encountered.
on November 22, 2014
on July 2, 2014
Standard introduction to the subject.
on October 20, 2008
For students and researchers, the 2008 Fourth edition of Fundamentals of Queueing Theory by Gross, Shortle, Thompson and Harris is an excellent book. The material can be difficult so the precision of presentation is really helpful. It's nice to see the dedication to the late Carl Harris. He did so much work for the queueing community and Operations Research in general. The third edition had 439 pages and the new edition has 500. The chapter titles look the same but the old chapter on Bounds Approximations, Numerical Techniques and Simulation has been split in two. The new appendices on Laplace Transforms, and difference equations will likely make the book more friendly to students. There are lots of new problems in the problem section. The humor in the problems and examples of this book (e.g. "Fly-ByNite Airlines has a telephone exchange " or "Cary Meback, the president of a large Virginia supermarket") make them fun. The addition of retrial queues and level crossing sections are certainly welcome. Throughout the book, the writing style has improved from the previous edition to make the book more reader friendly. I'm convinced that the authors have succeeded in this. This book makes an excellent text (for graduate students and advanced undergraduates) and an excellent research reference. This book is thorough and up-to-date, and I highly recommend it.
on February 22, 2016
Good for getting right concept with compact explanation and proper mathematics. I started Queuing theory with Harchol's book, which I thought it's the pure Queueing theory. But it was not, just an adaptation to computer system. I had to buy another Queuing book - this Gross's book. Also, its size is proper to carry.
on November 7, 1999
Fundamentals of Queueing Theory (third edition) by D. Gross and C. Harris is THE classic queueing text book. It is up-to-date, thorough, rigorous, intuitive, and even fun to read (for the mathematically inclined). This book can be read at different levels, none of them easy. It is intended for an audience of graduate students in operations research, industrial engineering, management science, or mathematics. There are other excellent queueing books out there, but this has to be the overall best seller! Highly recommended.
0Comment| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 18, 2011
I took a course in queuing theory using this book (graduate level). The first few chapters of the book are alright but after that the author throws in undefined variables and skips dozens of steps. It reminds me of looking over someones shoulder as they mumble to themselves and I'm trying to figure out what their doing or what steps they are taking. I have no idea how this book got so many good reviews! I'm guessing that they are from professors who already know queuing theory and probably don't need the book anyways. Add on to that my professor did not teach the class but expected the grad students to teach it to each other. It was a nightmare. "excercises" in the book take hours to do even for someone familiar with the field and at the end you have no idea if you've done it right or wrong. - no solutions manual for steps. RUN FROM THIS BOOK
on March 29, 2008
I always recommend Kleinrock's "Queueing systems Volume I: Theory" to my friends for learning the basics of queueing theory. But "Fundamentals of queueing theory" is an excellent text to have. I find it much easier to find the necessary pages to refresh my memory on an equation or a specific approach to solving a problem when using Gross and Harris.