Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 231 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 281 reviews
on September 30, 2014
Great history textbook. I am taking Western Civ 101 online, with numerous essay questions due each week. The book makes the class a breeze. The way it is written is very easy to understand and follow. It's set up very nicely for use with my assignments: every section is headlined with the topic and important points are bolded, which makes it very easy to find what you are looking for without having to look back to the index.

Overall it is a very interesting book. Ancient history is not everyone's cup of tea, but after having this book for a few weeks I am seeing how fascinating it really is. The book is so easy to read that even if I didn't have to take this class I would still want to read it.
on December 15, 2016
This is an extremely detailed book that goes in-depth on many different topics. It does a good job with setting down the basics and allows the professor to build on it. My history professor used the textbook as a guideline to build up on the material and make each topic a story. Since the class was a lecture, if I missed anything, I could always reference the book again.
on February 14, 2009
I actually love this book. First, I used it to prepare for the Western Civ 1 CLEP (I will be using it for Western Civ 2 CLEP, as well). I read once through with a hi-liter and then I did three practice tests from petersons.com. I passed the CLEP with a 70 (out of 80).
Second, I found it to be very interesting!!! This author did such a good job of presenting a timeline, so that I could organize the ideas easily in my head. This is obviously necessary if you are to keep your facts straight. He did a better job than the history books I have read previously (high school mainly). He also took great care to regularly present the status of women, slaves and minorities (or oppressed majorities) throughout the book and even included very interesting blurbs of ancient writings to illustrate many of these things. I learned more about the status of WOMEN in the history of Western Civ, than I ever have in any other book before. And it was all there organized for me.
I am a military history/studies major, and I have already used this book once to familiarize myself with the Punic Wars, for a project. It really helped me get a basic grip on it, and provided quite a bit of what I needed to know.

I really like this book. ;)
on May 18, 2015
Bought this textbook for A LOT CHEAPER than at my school's co-op bookstore! The textbook came in decent shape for the price. There was some highlighting in it but I found it useful for studying.

The textbook can be a little dull to read, so with my history class I would Google AP Euro and the certain subject or definition, and that helped with understanding the material in the textbook AND saved me time from reading the whole section or chapter. The textbook is a great book for history nerds lol. The textbook really just explains what happened and why it happened. It tries to make you understand what happened and that history repeats itself.
on July 2, 2012
I used this book to help me pass the CLEP test for Western Civilization II along with the REA test prep books and passed with no problem. The book was easy to read and very entertaining at the same time. I'm not a big history buff but the author and the format of the book kept my interest to the point where I WANTED to read the book! The author explained the background surrounding historical events and provided more than dry facts and dates - if you need to pass Western Civ this is the book to get!
on November 5, 2010
I bought this book based off of another person's review that this book was great for the CLEP exam. It is a great purchase, because it covers both tests. It was written in a very understandable way and the companion website was awesome. I really enjoyed this book and learned a lot about history. I passed both CLEP tests with the help of speedyprep.com, but knowing the material is most helpful.
on August 18, 2015
I used this as a textbook for one of my history courses. It is a very good history textbook! It isn't boring, the explanations are great, and since it is in color, the pictures are clear and easy to understand. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in history! This was one of my favorite history textbooks that I have used.
on December 6, 2013
Great deal. Well-balanced and concise. We used it for Homeschool senior year. My son read it out loud and we talked about the questions together. Then, if we wanted to find out more about a specific topic, we would search online. Includes several.primary sources that balance the authors voice. This book does not get bogged down in dates and battles, which is a plus. You can always go to the library to get more details, if desired. We really enjoyed this text.
on June 2, 2006
This book is an excellent resource for preparing for the Western Civ. CLEP exam. There is a website for the book that has review games and excercises (including my favorite flashcards) for each chapter. My daugher used this book in her freshman year of high school and enjoyed it a lot. She passed the exam with a 67! I recommend using REA's guides as well for the CLEP.
33 comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 17, 2014
The book itself is fine, a great resource. The particular copy we bought was a disappointment. It was seriously used and had almost half the pages and almost all of the maps marked up with the answers in felt pen. This was not in the description of the item. We ended up having to "white-out" answers in most of the book. Seller should have disclosed this.