Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Western Civilization: Ideas, Politics, and Society, Volume I: To 1789
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports STEM

on November 23, 2015
I had to get this book for my Western Civ II class. The main thing that I like about it was how it was laid out and how it was easy to read and understand. Out of the few different textbooks used in that class, this was probably the best one.
on June 18, 2013
I had to buy this book for my Western Civilization II class. It is a standard history textbook style. I like the maps, and it is rich with content. However, the book fails to mention some parts of history and has obvious bias.
on March 20, 2015
I have spent the past several decades studying history, and as such I own a lot of books about various historical subjects. However, my primary area of interest is Western Civilization, and as such I have read the eighth edition of "Western Civilization: Ideas, Politics, and Society," and I purchased the ninth edition several years ago. I was impressed by the ninth edition; I have read it often, and I have frequently used it as a reference. However, after having purchased the tenth edition, I am no longer impressed.

While I realize that history marches on and history books which cover modern subjects need to be kept up-to-date, this tenth edition seems more like a "money grab" by the authors. By comparing the ninth and tenth editions, it is clear that the authors simply added additional verbiage to several of the passages, which was often unnecessary, and that would lead me to believe that the authors were attempting to artificially increase the apparent number of changes in this edition in order to pseudo-justify the need for academic institutions to ditch their existing editions in favor of this new edition.

What's more, the tenth edition was very poorly edited. A large number of passages throughout the book are written quite poorly; a first-year college student could easily have re-written many of those passages with greater clarity. As a result, this edition reads like it was rushed to market.

On a side note, after having used the two books in this series for several years in various editions, I have grown increasingly dissatisfied with the book's maps. Since the books have only a few colors to use when publishing maps, the author's usually employ geometric patterns rather than colors to differentiate geographic regions on the maps. As a result, readers are forced to spend a great deal of time trying to discern which pattern goes with which feature, rather than the publisher spending a few extra dollars to make the maps more legible.

In summary, the tenth edition was a major disappointment; I will be returning my copy. But regardless of my choice to return my copy, the overall quality of the tenth edition is so poor that it in no way justifies its exceedingly-steep price tag.
on June 17, 2016
Rental. Just received, excellent condition for a used book. Minimal wear..Needed text for History 1, and the book itself appears absolutely detailed with information. Kind of nice! If you're looking for validity of whether to rent, this should encourage it. :) Best lucks! Image just shows how the book cover looks when arrives.
review image
on June 24, 2015
I ordered this book for my summer school History course. It's an excellent book and the seller delivered it in a timely manner, however, the book smelled strongly of cigarette smoke, which is slightly embarrassing when you're flipping through the pages during class...I still can't get the scent out of my book...
on September 4, 2013
Lots of information but it was difficult to read, not because of the information, but because of the way it was written.
on October 24, 2014
Using this in a history class and don't care for it. Repetitive and wordy.
on March 19, 2015
The book is written in a simplistic manner - in fact, for college students or older adults reading it, it will seem dumbed down. Like most history textbooks, it's full of information that anyone will find helpful to their understanding of the making of our world. However, be warned that it is heavily political. Of course, as the title says, ideologies that shaped past events are a significant part of the discussion in the book. But the authors are clearly biased, making several comments that sound anti-religious, and expressing sympathy for socialism and disdain for conservatives and liberals (in the 18th-and-19th-century sense of those words), as well as nationalists. They tend to drag emotions into the text, rather than merely presenting the facts. Perhaps it can make readers feel more engaged in learning, and perhaps it can be frustrating to people who merely want the information without a spin on it. Depends on what educators and potential readers want, I suppose.
on February 4, 2011
Great book. First part of a series. We bought both books for my husband, a World History High School teacher. Great resource for lesson planning; in-depth summary; always brings out most critical aspects of all subjects covered.
on April 26, 2008
I think Perry's book entitled Western Civilization is very lear, articulate and comprehensive. I have been using it in My Humanities courses and it is the best book I have come across so far.