Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Bantam New College Latin & English Dictionary (The Bantam New College Dictionary Series)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

on November 12, 2003
With that said, The New College-Latin and English Dictionary, is by far the most comprehensive Latin dictionary I have put my hands on. In comparison to the Cassell Dictionaries, The New College Dictionary offers a simple layout packed with as much information as its 663 pgs. can handle.
I first began using this particular dictionary the beginner of my third year of latin, with logical grammatical paradigms and a 70,000 word dictionary it is hard to exploit a flaw in this dictionary. Athough it is hard to give an indepth review on a dictionary, the only reassurance I can provide is that this dictionary will definately not disappoint a Latin scholar who is looking to translate classical or middle age Latin as a scholar or hobbyist.
on March 22, 2003
I purchased several Latin dictionaries prior to this one and this is by far the best. Other Latin dictionaries were almost Byzantine in the way they presented their information. This dictionary is straight forward and includeds instruction on conjugations and declensions. It also lists the four principle parts for every verb! Who could ask for more? No more wondering whether or not mitto conjugates as a regular verb. It has helped me to excel in my Latin 1001 and I plan on using it throughout my studies as a Latin minor.
on May 10, 1997
I am not quite sure where to begin comparing this to the amount words in the dictionary, as I could never begin comparing it to the mammoth Oxford Latin Dictionary, but it is definitely one of the most comprehensive "pocket" Latin dictionaries on the market. I did notice several careless mistakes in spelling definitions (!), but nothing that someone who is knowledgeable enough of the English language to be using the dictionary would not catch. Overall? VG
on February 17, 2000
This is my favorite paperback dictionary for stuffing in my backpack to use for translating Latin. Although it gives definitions, it does not provide specific references to the ancient texts like the Oxford Latin Dictionary, Lewis-Short Latin Dictionary, and Cassell's Latin Dictionary does. Its primary strength lies in that it does provide a huge amount of the Latin idioms used with each word. So if you're going to be translating or learning Ciceronian/late Roman Republic Latin, with his at times overwhelming use of idioms, this is a good dictionary.
on June 30, 2003
This is an excellent small dictionary. I use it constantly, and rarely fail to find a word in it whether I'm dealing with ancient or medieval texts. I own a number of Latin dictionaries both large and small, and I always start any word search by looking in this one. Some of the spelling conventions take some time to get used to (most notably, there are many entries under 'j' that I would have expected to find under 'i'), but after using it for awhile I have become accustomed to its quirks. The grammar tables in the front are logically structured and easy to read--very useful in those amnesiac moments when all of your declensions run together.
on December 17, 2005
I just wanted to add another vote of confidence for this marvelous dictionary. I got through 4 years of college Latin with it, and almost never failed to find the word I was looking for. I particularly appreciate the idiomatic expressions highlighted in bold typeface, to make it easy to skim down the definition to find the one you're looking for. Its only downfall is that, as a paperback, it begins to get a bit well-thumbed, leading the serious Latinist to think, a little wistfully, that it would be nice if it came in a hardbound edition. But for a mere six bucks, you can easily afford to buy a replacement. Personally, I own two.
on April 1, 2003
This is a great dictionary for Latin translation. It contains copious idiomatic definitions that are not found in the other dictionaries of its type. It also points one in the right direction if only one priciple part of a verb is known or if spelling variations exist. Furthermore, the grammatical charts at the beginning of the dictionary are invaluable.
on July 23, 2008
This dictionary is good for beginners, but more advanced Latinists must turn elsewhere. Though it covers most basic words, some common words like the verb 'minor' are curiously absent. Those seeking the meanings of hapax legomena, many post-classical and technical words, any but the commonest proper names, or etymologies, must resort to a comprehensive reference like Lewis and Short or the Oxford Latin Dictionary. The most telling flaw of this dictionary is that it does not mark hidden quantity: this is irrelevant for scansion, certainly, but is important for correct accentuation and pronunciation of vowel lengths, for those of us who actually care about speaking Latin properly. Plus, the text is riddled with typos (including one in a page header). The accidence charts at the beginning are accurate and fairly thorough, and may be useful for novices.

Considering its low price, this dictionary is worth a buy for the beginning Latinist, but should not be relied on past the intermediate level.
on January 11, 2007
Our daughter's Latin tutor, a Classics scholar, recommended this Latin dictionary. It is excellent.
on July 23, 2008
Good selection for beginning Latin. I used it for 2 years and have now since gone on to Cassell's and now Lewis and Short, which are both more ample. The advantage here is that is has more words from later Latin than Cassell's, but Cassell's is much more ample when it comes to words like quo and quin (the worst thing ever!).

What does Vita bellum est mean? Life is war? Or is it vita bella est?