Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 27 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 46 reviews
on May 23, 2016
I love this book. It covers the rules of punctuation in a simple and clear style with charming, often amusing examples. It's a great book for adults who need help with their grammar but don't want to wade through something that looks like a school textbook, and I've given it to younger students as well. As a side note, I don't see any reason why you need the new edition, as the old one works fine if you have it; that review is for the book as whole, not just the rewrite
on October 22, 2013
This book was recommended by a friend who's an editor. She guaranteed I'd enjoy it, and I certainly do.

Punctuation and other writing rules can be oh so tedious, but not so for Ms. Gordon's manual. I find myself laughing frequently while reading it. The sentences are constructed in such a way as to chisel themselves in one's mind, simply because of their enjoyable wording. Two of my favorites: for exclamation points, "How exciting to see you in traction again!"; and when demonstrating the use of the comma for salutation and serial items, "Dear Rosie and Nimrod, Thank you for the hospitality, the cold bath water, the stale beer, and everything."

Don't even get me started on the wardrobe composed in part of water moccasins and a spring-loaded girdle.
on December 22, 2011
I find that most grammar books fail to give complete coverage to punctuation thus leaving writers repeatedly stranded in situations that are not touched on in the text. This is a whole book dedicated to nothing but punctuation. It gives the most extensive coverage that I have found to the subject, and it has the added benefit of not being boring. It's not a joke book. Don't expect deep belly laughs, and the style is occasionally a little silly. I don't care. For me, the most important things are that the information it provides is extensive and its style is imaginative and pleasant to read.
on October 19, 2015
Fun read. Karen Elizabeth Gordon makes grammar and syntax interesting stuff and easy to learn. I find the way she writes in a light banter attractively fresh and thus I remember it. She helps me cover a lot of ideas quickly.
on February 10, 2014
When I wanted to immerse myself in different style guides and discussions of the language, I cherry-picked several of the best books I'd come across, this one included.

Check it out at the library, get your own copy if it pleases you as much as it did me.
on August 1, 2017
Excellent outcome
on January 24, 2009
This book offers one of the most provocative, entertaining, and memorable experiences I've ever had in revisiting the 'rules & rational' behind English sentence structure. I bought it for a friend who is bi-lingual and wants to strengthen her English writing skills. The author makes learning this potentially boring subject matter delightful and absolute fun! That is, of course, unless you are extremely formal and not prone to being either "innocent, eager or doomed'.
on December 13, 2012
I bought extra copies of this book for Christmas gifts.
We are a family of writers, and one seldom (or never) finds
a useful punctuation guide that is funny.
Before I gave it away, I read this book at night just before falling
asleep--to help bring good dreams.
on June 16, 2016
Fun and interesting book to read.
on June 2, 2007
As an English teacher, I agree with the reviews that express dismay at Ms. Gordon's idiosyncratic application of traditional grammar rules. However, the handbook's examples, illustrations, and dry wit make it a much more palatable resource for the teenagers I teach than the musty handbooks provided by my district. Those who find interesting the vagaries of the English language's structure will be charmed.