Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Advent and Christmas Wisdom from Henri J.M. Nouwen: Daily Scripture and Prayers together with Nouwen's Own Words
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

on December 3, 2004
This is a wonderful little devotion book for Advent. I have become a huge Henri Nouwen fan.....he always shares his journey and is transparent...I especially enjoy the Advent Action given with each devotion.....the daily devotions give just enough without being overwhelming, allowing me to reflect on it all day. Redemptorist Publishing always offer heart warming devotionals.
on October 14, 2008
Excellent book for getting a better understanding the meaning of Christmas. Short daily advent readings and meaningful prayers. Author writes in a clear, easy to understand manner that you don't have to be a Bible scholar to read it. Great book for those who wants to know more about the Christian celebration of Christmas or seeks to draw closer to God amidst the busyness and commercial season.

The 88 page soft-cover book includes 28 days of advent devotionals and 12 days of Christmas devotionals. Each day has a short excerpt of writing from Nouwen, a scripture reading, a prayer and a call to action. The devotional is reflective, practical and will help you put God in the middle of the Christmas season.

I also highly recommend this book as a Christmas gift.
on January 30, 2010
Henri Nouwen's wisdom is amazing and I so looked forward to entering Advent with him. His words did not disappoint, but the co-author's exercises and comments were so trite that I found them irritating. Rewritten with Nouwen's wisdom and prayer and exercises reflecting the same depth of thought would be a huge improvement.
on January 22, 2011
This year my husband and I decided to engage the Advent and Christmas season more intentionally, and found this book on a search through Amazon. We are both huge fans of Nouwen's writings already, and so this book seemed like it would be a perfect fit.
It was.
We found that reading it at the dinner table each night after lighting our Advent wreath was a wonderful way to pause the day and remember why this season is so important.

What we loved about the book:
- It's a very short reading, taking us less than 5 minutes each night at dinner.
- There is both a spiritual and practical portion of the daily reading, which gave us fodder for good conversation and thought.
- There is also a prayer with each reading, which we found to be well-written and engaging.
- There are readings for both the Advent & Christmas seasons.

What we didn't love about the book:
- There were some days that seemed to lean more towards Catholic theology (in regards to Mary). We are not Catholic and so these days didn't strike us as poignantly as others. However, they were still good reading and thought-provoking.

Overall, HIGHLY recommend this as part of your Advent and Christmas journey!
on December 14, 2007
This is a book that I plan to use every year with my family. It really helps you create the spiritual mood of the Season without the crazy commercialization that takes place during this time of the year. Helps you to remember what Christmas is about.
on December 20, 2013
I have Mr. Nouwen's book for Lent and found it to be a wonderful tool in drawing near to God in that season. This work is also well worth acquiring to help in pausing and focusing the eyes and heart on God in the Christmas season. Highly recommend.
on September 19, 2013
In the Christmas season I like to use different tools to "center" myself and get the clutter and busyness out of the way. This collection of thoughts from a deep - but accessible - thinker is just what I need Giving some as gifts, too.
on January 8, 2013
Advent and Christmas Wisdom is a fitting title for this work. Nouwen offers a meaningful exploration of faith in the context of daily life. He is not speaking from the mountain top, but from the trenches. The selected readings are brief enough to fit my crazy schedule and deep enough to keep me coming back for more.
on January 10, 2013
While the story of Advent and Christmas are old a familier, this book. Brought some refreshing insight to this holy seasons. Don't be fooled by its brievity?, some of the content is very rich within it's few words
on December 15, 2013
Henri J.M. Nouwen's Advent and Christmas Wisdom is this years' selection for advent and I am enjoying it. It is concise yet thought provoking. Each day begins with a passage from Nouwen, continues with an excerpt from scripture, a prayer and an activity. The activity is doable, such as listening to Christmas chant or staying up later in watchful waiting. The book is organized by the day (not date) and provides 12 additional passages, etc. to continue to Epiphany.