Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 11 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 21 reviews
on November 15, 2011
Ethical Wisdom is wise, engaging and especially timely because it examines the fundamental political challenge we face in America today - our barren moral landscape. Perhaps the Occupy Wall Street Movement is also trying to shine a bright light on this dark ethical void. They could certainly use the insights of this book to clarify and articulate their goals. Matousek mixes just the right blend of scholarship, interviews and anecdotes, then anchors them in a solid theoretical framework. The section on disgust and it's connection to food and morality was especially fascinating. I'd never realized how disgust is used to create social stigma and thereby to justify exclusion and persecution. The tests and games at the end really bring the chapters to life on a personal level.
Rita Freedman, Ph.D. - psychologist
on September 21, 2011
Perfect subway commute reading and that says a lot. The book is entirely engrossing and leaves you wandering off amidst the riff-raff of society deep in thought. It's Mark Matousek's writing style that's so compelling (having read his book of essays and his memoirs), which means each unique chapter is packed with information ranging from hard science and social science explained in layperson's terms without ever being dumbed-down, to breezy anecdotes, and always great description. Based on what I read in this book, I ended a "zeitgeber" relationship that was cramping my endorphins.
on September 23, 2011
Mark dives into the newest brain research with the expertise of a surgeon, granting a map that can help us all understand ourselves and others better, which, as he emphasizes, leads to a deeper connection. He's smack on target when he encourages us to take a closer look at this fascinating organ we are all carrying around on our shoulders, too often acquiescing to using that mere 20% of our brain's abilities, rather than taking a microscopic look and pouncing on the other 80% that can be ours for the taking if we just crank up the courage. The author prompts us to make sense of our lives with his healthy mix of insight, humor and clear focus, making Ethical Wisdom a must read.
on February 20, 2013
Thoughtful, incisive, and written with narrative and humor. Particularly engaging take on philosophical ethics. Also, a nice change from the dry, analytic philosophy texts, that seem to drone on and end up communicating ideas poorly, if you don't know the language. Not a systematic or exhaustive account, but great as either an intro to the subject or an impetus for new ways to understand the field of ethics, with much emphasis on culture, technology and our own biology.
on January 4, 2013
This is a different take on what ethics is, based more on emotions and the study of the human brain. If you are looking for a book about the great ethical teachings (Socrates, Aristotle, etc.), this is not the book to go to, but if you want to see ethics in a different light this is a good one.
on September 18, 2011
A very welcome book that adds to a relative paucity of dialogue on the interface of cutting edge research in neuroscience/attachment and ethics. Mark Matousek, here and in his other books, has the capacity to write about big topics in intelligent, personal, and evocative ways.
on August 26, 2013
The book is excellent since I already heard the author being interviewed on National Public Radio. The book arrived on time and in brand new condition.
on September 17, 2011
ETHICAL WISDOM is perfect for the curious lay reader who wants enough scientific data to perhaps help explain the existential yearning for goodness. I was entertained, challenged and informed. A definite winner!
on January 23, 2012
My husband and I are both enjoying this book. We have had many good discussions stemming from it.
Fantastic book!
on September 27, 2011
I have recommended this book to many already. I found it to be profoundly insightful and deeply moving. I will read it again.