Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Foo Fighters PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 464 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 520 reviews
on July 17, 2015
Wow, such high quality for such a low price! I was pleasantly surprised to find out these were a lot thicker than I expected! I was expecting some sort of flimsy comic book type thing for such a low price...I was expecting to receive just "so-so" quality. I was fortunately wrong! I ordered both the Hedge Knigh I & II and found that they were both excellently made, with a very sturdy spine to the book and beautiful illustrations. These are going to be a gift for my boyfriend, as we're both huge GOT fans. I know he will love to add these to his collection. They are very well made and both shipped to me very quickly. Once again, I am pleased with my amazon.com purchases!
on July 2, 2017
I quite enjoyed The Hedge Knight graphic book. I love the artwork and the story. This is a prequel to the Game of Thrones series and I really enjoyed the story. Enjoyed it so much I bought the next book in this series.
VINE VOICEon May 30, 2016
I was curious about this, but hey, it was Martin, a prequel to GOT, so why not?
And it's good.
You enter the world of the Hedge Knight, a sword for hire, the Ronin of Westeros. They sometimes thrive, sometimes starve, and are a minor part of the universe. We go into that portion, and see how they live, and die, as,we follow a young man trying to make it in the world. I truly enjoyed the realistic reenactment s of jousting and chivalry, you have a better idea of what it was like, the hopes, the life, the obstacles they faced. This is a much simpler plot than GOT, but 'tis the telling of the tale that shines.

Btw a good value too, much longer than most graphic novels.
on July 11, 2014
Although I don't have the novels, this was a fantastic story and well worth the money! These could make for an interesting spin-off TV series if HBO & GRRM ever decided to. Inside, the art and colors are well done, with characters drawn looking more realistic. There is plenty of speaking and background given, so don't dismiss this as being a "picture book." I already want to re-read both Hedge Knight graphic novels to pick up more details I may have missed. There's a lot going on, and a lot of characters.

To all the reviewers who purchased this thinking it was the novel... and giving this bad ratings... how could you not see the words "graphic novel" in the product description?
on November 11, 2013
I originally read the Hedge Knight stories in novel form within GRRM's Dreamsongs and other compilations. I was glad to finally see it illustrated.

My only issue with the art was how quickly Egg's hair grew in a couple panels.

The story itself was enjoyable and even in this shortened form, it caught the essence of Mr Martin's fleshed out characters. So little of the normally shallow reasons for chivalry or cruelty.

If I could have things my way, this man would write more "historical" as well as "contemporary" Westeros stories well into his hundreds.

Hodor!
Dan a.k.a. "Varsuuk"
on May 13, 2014
The story is easy to get into and the main character is likeable because he is simple, honest, and tries so hard to live up to the code of chivalry, which was engrained in him by the late Ser Arlan of Pennytree, who was also a hedge knight. The drawings are well done and the dialogue fairly easy to follow. My only warning would be about how the comic works on the Kindle app especially on a 7 inch tablet. It magnifies each frame, which is handy, but sometimes gets stuck on the frames, even though you've swiped it (telling it to go to the next frame). And sometimes it takes a while to load a page (everything is black). I used a Nexus 7 - so maybe it would work better on a Kindle reader.
VINE VOICEon December 13, 2013
I'm not a regular reader of graphic novels. But I do love me some George R.R. Martin and his world in <i>A Song of Ice and Fire</i>.

This graphic novel aggregates 6 stand alone comics and makes for a beautifully rendered story that predates the activities that start with Martin's <i>A Game of Thrones</i>. The graphic novel is based upon Martin's own short story, and the narration and dialogue read very true to the nature of Martin's work and will be immediately recognizable for any fan of ASOIAF.

The art is very 'mature', bright, bold, detailed, descriptive and not cartoonish. Combined with the vivid coloring, the entire <i>Hedge Knight</i> 'package' does a terrific job evoking Martin's world.

I highly recommend this to any existing fan of AWOIAF or anyone who's interested in dipping their toe in a <i>Game of Thrones</i> without committing to a 1,000 page read. And if you're not into 'fantasy', there's no worries here. While there are references to dragons, the action is all medieval.
on September 27, 2016
George RR. Martin's prequel novels to A song of ice a fire, are small delectable segments in a beautifully and thoughtfully constructed world. That being said the graphic novel does omit little bits of tasty GRRM narrative and writing. The story remains the same, and the art is illustrated to what you might imagine these characters looking like. If you are a fan you probably all ready own it. If you are interested in fantasy stories this is definitely one to pick-up.
on June 28, 2014
Everything about these graphic novels is entertaining: The storylines are reminiscent of The Game of Throne novels, as these stories are prequels to those and are set in the lands of the seven kingdoms. The Art work is excellent and beautifully detailed. The characters take on an appealing realness, with genuine interactions, faults, emotions and strengths, which I would not expect from a graphic novel but then this was written by George R.R. Martin after all. I did find the second novel: The Sworn Sword Hedge Knight II to be somewhat more appealing then The Hedge Knight, but both are highly recommended.
on September 10, 2017
Amazing story and visually stunning. So glad I got this! I cant recommend this enough. About 100 years before the events of Game of Thrones