Spring Deals Automotive HPC Magazine Deals New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Fire TV Stick: $29.99. Offer ends 3/26/18 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

Return from Tomorrow
Format: Paperback|Change

on December 13, 2011
Return from Tomorrow by Dr. George G.Ritchie

Dr. George. G.Richie relates his Near Death Experience, in it his "out of body mind" says he is in the presence of the bright light, a silhouette of a man he thinks is Jesus and other different "forms representing dead people " do not seem to see the person he thinks is Jesus. The out of the body mind of Dr.R, asks, why those others cannot see what he sees. Then he says " Maybe whenever our centre of attention was on any thing else, we could blockout even him ". This sounds some thing near to concentration in meditation. When the meditator gets into a deep state of concentration , he is away from every thing else around him.

In the light of what I had experienced in a short space of time where there was no declaration of a clinical death or a cardiac arrest, but an experience of a drowning in a river, there are similarities with the experience of Dr. Richie.

The Tibetan Book of the dead speaks of the process of dying as falling into a dark tunnel and arriving at a light. This tunnel could take different shapes according to the raconteur. In the case of Dr.Richie it is a bright light apparently without a shape. I had the experience of a long hall without sharp corners filled with a light not a bright light as described by Dr.Richie but a soothing light, coming from nowhere.

These experiences related by those who have gone through them describe them differently according to their own cultural or religious back ground. The man Dr Richie calls " Jesus" did not appear in my experience. The "hell" he described was not seen by me. I did not meet any one of my family members who had died before me.

In this respect Dr. Pim van Lommel's explanation as to "who recounts the experience" is significant. Dr. Lommel says that once a " patient" is declared clinically dead it signifies a cardiac arrest, which is that the " brain is dead".

The Western science so far had believed that the consciousness is in the brain cells. If so a Near Death Experience is false , because the dead brain cannot recount what happened during the period the patient was clinically dead, unless it was the consciousness that had separated at death that has come back to life again. Therefore if NDE recounted by the "patient" could be accepted, it has to be the "consciousness" that had experienced and not the brain. The consciousness is a separate entity a sort of a field of energy, which remembers things the way "the patient" lived his life until the moment of his cardiac arrest.

Therefore, what the "patient " relates are the concepts with which he lived, the Jesus, the God, the light, meeting the dead, seeing them in their different worldly experiences, such as smoking, drinking at bars, fighting.

What seems to be common in these experiences, is the tunnel of light, the light which gives comfort, and seeing people without being able to speak to them.

In Buddhist teachings the "man" is made of "mind and matter". Therefore once dead the body which is composed of the elements such as the element of water, element of energy, element of wind and the element of hard matter remains, which eventually decays and gets absorbed into their different elements.

Therefore, it is only the mind that remains ? the mind is the consciousness. This consciousness stores somewhere in its field of energy "memories". These memories are stored as images we had been accustomed to during our life time.

In the teachings of the Buddha, it is explained that a human being creates a self . The self is an invention of the mind , as the body by itself cannot think, see, hear, smell, taste or feel independently from the mind, the mind gives "labels" to every visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, and tactile objects that we come in contact with through our sense faculties throughout our lives. Therefore, these "labels", in other words the "concepts" our minds have made of every day objects continue to remain in the memory of our consciousness when it depart from the body at death.

That is what happens at a cardiac arrest of a patient in a clinical death. Therefore, what he recounts as part of his NDE is what his consciousness had stored up in its memory, the "concepts of his living life".

Hence, all those different images Dr. George Richie had "seen" in his NDE are the concepts with which he lived. There was nothing new . The person he sees has no face, as much as that of himself. The man with comforting light for Dr. Richie cannot be non other than the Jesus , because the consciousness that goes through the NDE is the consciousness of Dr. Richie.

If Dr. Richie was a Buddhist he would have said the light was that of the Buddha, and if he was a Hindu he would have said it was the Brahma the creator.......

Now to interpose my own experience, I saw the light without the presence of a "Man" I saw the light comforting and serene. I saw coffins with a candle at the end of each coffin as far into the end of the hall which disappeared into a bright light. I did not see the dead. I saw my living mother, my Scout Master, Parents and friends but I cannot remember to have seen their faces. I could "imagine" what they are going to say and do.

I think Dr. Lommel will agree. Any one in any country in the world(unless the person is a Christian) who has a NDE will not identify as Jesus the man with the benign light.
1818 comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 17, 2012
This book doctrinally lines up with Mormon beliefs of the after life. I would not have read it had I known, but it was an interesting glimpse into the ideas of the Mormon faith. Being Christian, I believe in a physical heaven and hell, as opposed to the unbiblical notion that some of us are forever enslaved as demons to the sins that haunted us on earth, and then floating around the earth in the form of ghosts. The book does a good job of describing Jesus' love, His light and the overwhelming peace and joy of being in His presence. This and other Biblical truths captivated me as I wrestled with the decidedly occult teachings being presented. If you want a biblically sound book about heaven, read "Heaven is For Real". I LOVE that book!
99 comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 5, 2005
An impressive booklet. Ritchie had a near-death-experience in 1943, being a soldier. During this NDE Jesus Christ showed him the realms of the world beyond. In the book Ritchie also tells about his experiences as a soldier that followed. Finally he tells that in 1952 in a magazine he found a picture of new, mainly secret technology that he had seen during the NDE. After I had read the book, I recommended it to friends and lended it to whoever was interested.

One day however I read chapter 11 of Jeffrey Iverson's book "Grensgebied", the Dutch translation of "In Search of the Dead" (published in 1992). In that chapter Iverson fully quotes a summary of "Return from Tomorrow" that Ritchie told to the famous reincation researcher Ian Stevenson in a conversation that they both once had. Ritchie told Stevenson that in about 1953 in Life Magazine he had seen a photograph of the first atomic laboratory and that in that photo he had recognized one of the instruments, because he had seen it during his NDE experiences.

That was not what I remembered from "Return from Tomorrow", so I looked it up. And indeed there were some remarkable differences. According to the book (chapter XIV) the picture was a drawing, not a photo. In the book Ritchie tells that he had recognized every detail: the instruments, the stairway etcetera, so not only one single instrument. I reasoned that maybe he had not kept the copy of Life Magazine, so that unwillingly his memories about a few aspects might have changed during the years. But in chapter XIV there is a literal quote of 7 lines from Life, showing that Ritchie must have saved the article.

I decided to try to check some other aspect of Ritchie's story, to find out if this was simply an isolated error. In the book there is the incredible story about a Polish Jew. Ritchie had met him in a concentration camp near Wuppertal. This Jew had been there since 1939 and nevertheless he could work 16 hours a day as a consequence of his love for people. Easy piezy, I thought, and it was indeed. Within no time I had found out that there simply was no concentration camp in or near Wuppertal at the end of World War II. Local nazis had run a concentration camp there during 6 month in 1933, but that one had been closed in January 1934. The prisoners had been local people as well. [...]

Being a human on this planet, I wonder why we exist and what existing is all about. I found that "Return to tomorrow" for me was not a sufficiently reliable source of information.
99 comments| 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 7, 2012
George Ritchie was 20 years old when he died and then returned to life. His account of his experience of the afterlife makes for interesting reading here and there but overall it is a naive, un-critical account based on Ritchie's unquestioned assumption that the Being of Light he encountered was "Jesus". Ritchie was obviously well-steeped in Protestant Biblicalism when he turned up for training at an Army camp in 1943. He was young in that innocently narcisstistic way of those who have not learned to question either "received wisdom" or their own culturally-shaped perceptions. Ritchie's book was an attempt to relate honestly what he believed happened to him when he died of double lobar pneumonia in a military hospital. One hears the ring of sincerity in his words but one also hears hints of smug pietistic self-delusion in the interpretation of the experience. Apparently, and to his credit, Dr. Ritchie got over his youthful evangelicalism and re-examined his experience and his assumptions in a second book, "Ordered to Return". Greater exposure to the inanity and hypocrisy of evangelicalism and an acquired capacity to question his interpretation of his NDE in a broader context without imposing a religious bias may provide a more balanced view of the near death experience. The truth is that no one knows who the "Being of Light" is. That it seems to be the source of unconditional love emanating from a universal consciousness is the central feature of reports from tens of thousands of near death experiencers. The immensity of its presence defies all religious description and makes denominational religion seem not only juvenile but absurd. There is a greater reality that we do not understand but which understands us perfectly. That is miracle enough for me.
55 comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 10, 2011
By Darrell Stoddard, darrellstoddard@gmail.com

Definitely 5 stars!!! The story "Return from Tomorrow" first appeared in Guideposts magazine. Up to the date it was published, the article was the most requested reprint in the history of Guideposts. George Ritchie's compelling book 'Return from Tomorrow' was the first, the most detailed, and the most convincing of many "life after death" books.

I submit below a "Jewish Doctors unpublished Return from Tomorrow Story":

The following "beyond the veil" experience sounds almost too contrived, but I heard the following first person account from the lips of a Jewish doctor (that I'll not name because I don't have his permission to do so). People who have had such experiences are reluctant to tell what happened to them because the experiences are too private, too personal, or too sacred.

The doctor admitted to me in private that he was into the LSD drug scene in college and that he overdosed and was declared clinically dead. In his dead state, his grandfather who was a rabbi that had died years before greeted him and said he would like to "show him around". He was then introduced to a number of people that had died. Then his grandfather said, "There is another person I would especially like you to meet. HE'S THE HEAD GUY UP HERE." He was then introduced to a man the Jewish doctor said was Jesus.

The doctor was then allowed to return to his body and to his mortal existence. He is alive today and has a medical practice. I have not embellished the story in any way. The words are exactly as I heard them from the doctor himself.

Raymond Moody's book 'Life After Life' analyzes and compares beyond the veil experiences of many people to validate the reality of a conscious spiritual existence after death.

The New Testament speaks of Jesus "casting out" unseen evil spirits from people who were "possessed." When Jesus asked their name, the spirits replied, "Our name is legion, for we are many." They then besought Jesus that they might enter the bodies of swine. When granted that request, the spirits entered the bodies of swine and the swine ran into the sea and were drowned. The motion picture 'The Exorcist' is about possession by such unembodied evil spirits.

There is also evidence of possession by very beneficial spiritual beings. The book 'Arigo: Surgeon of the Rusty Knife' tells of a long dead German doctor that influenced a man who was probably the most prolific healer in history (See "newest first" 5 star review of 'Arigo' on amazon.com). For more "beyond the veil" experiences, see reviews of the motion picture '17 Miracles'.

11-14-12 Update: BE SURE TO SEE AND READ THE REVIEW of a new "Life After Death Story" about another doctor that was dead for seven days. This is the most compelling of all beyond the grave experiences! It can be found by searching on Google: "Proof of Heaven by Mike Adams." This is a review of a book written by Eben Alexander. The review is written by Mike Adams. The review by Adams about how valuable to mankind the book is, are profound - both the review and the book are to be pondered and treasured.

See all of my Reviews. I write only about books, events, or motion pictures that have changed the course of history or unforgettable books or motion pictures that will totally change peoples lives.

Darrell Stoddard, Founder - Pain Research Institute and saveusa.biz
44 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 18, 2000
I am the nephew of George G. Ritchie. I am also an Episcopal priest in the Church of Rwanda.
I have an earned doctorate in Christian Spirituality from Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary.
My uncle's story certainly is fascinating and apparently real, the question is, "What is the message?" AND Does the message come from God or from some other source?
While the message of Ritchie's NDE is a bit more palatable to people who believe the Bible is God's Word in this small book, compared to his later work, ORDERED TO RETURN, let me tell you the problem of his message.
1. Ritchie denigrates Scripture
2. Ritchie believes in reincarnation
3. Ritchie believes that man's ultimate destiny is to become a god.
4. Ritchie believes that his experience is more authoritative than Scripture.
5. Ritchie's account is not consistent with that of Betty Eadie, Dannion Brinkley or other NDE'rs. Who is right?
88 comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 21, 2013
My utter disappointment might be a result of the fact that I had high expectations for this book, but this anecdotal little novel is, yet again, another NDE account book that is aimed at glorifying the very narrow and specific belief of Christian Fundamentalism without providing even a single sentence of empirical reasoning by the author as to why HE BELIEVES that Christian Fundamentalism in particular corresponds to our reality, and why HE BELIEVES that his NDE in fact revealed that Christian Fundamentalist beliefs in particular correspond to reality despite the fact that NDErs who have had an NDE prior to George Ritchie's period of clinical death (though few) have emerged from their NDE . . . WITHOUT the belief that every aspect of Christian Fundamentalism in particular and that the specific collection of those aspects, alone, (I'll say it again for emphasis) is what corresponds to reality. Despite how biased it is, this is still a fun little read and somewhat inspiring for those who have plenty of time to kill...
33 comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 14, 2017
We lost our son recently and I have been reading books such as this to find the love and mercy of Jesus. This book scared me with the depiction of people who didn't make it to heaven. I cried. Perhaps my grief is too fresh, but I pray daily my son is forgiven of his sins. I don't want to imagine my son enduring such pain.
33 comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 24, 2016
Richard Paul Evans wrote in his book, "The Four Doors", that reading "Return from Tomorrow" saved his life. As I sit here writing this review, I have to ask myself, "What is wrong with people?" Have we, as human beings, lost so much faith in ourselves that we have to turn to the likes of Evans and Ritchie for inspiration? If the answer is "yes", then truly, humanity as a whole is beyond hope. Why? We seek the truth, but turn to lies for inspiration. We seek the truth, but turn to entertainment for inspiration. We seek the truth, but turn to people like Evans and Ritchie, and for what? Affirmation? Comfort? Encouragement? We turn to them, and others, and line their pocket books with cash, and in return, what is gained? In the case of Ritchie, more questions than answers. In the case of Evans, more philosophical tripe than meaningful truth. Neither book does anything to help or explain the human condition: they are just stories that the authors hope will entertain. Case in point, how Evans talks about how his grandfather foretold that Evans would meet royalty. Well as of today, Evans has met royalty, unless of course you consider the murdering Bush family royalty, or a British PM royalty. Case in point, how Ritchie is searching for meaning in his death experience, and how it can useful in helping Fred, a terminally ill man, do what? Redeem his life? Redeem his soul? What was Ritchie trying to accomplish by counseling Fred? Absolution from his sins? An easier death? Reading this book, as well as reading "The Four Doors" has taught me a very valuable lesson: most people who read this junk are flouridated, brainwashed imbeciles, who have lost al sense of themselves not to mention God. Why God allows snake oil salesmen like Ritchie, Evans and others to perpetuate this garbage and give people a sense of false hope via entertainment is sickening. Truly sickening!
22 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 3, 2013
No matter what your religious affiliation (or if you have none at all), this man is simply recounting his experience. I did not get the ideas/notions that some reviewers seemed to have gathered from this book. The author says he encountered Jesus. Who can say that's not true and honestly know what they're talking about? No one knows how it all happens "on the other side." This guy is telling you what he recalls happening. So people who have not died cannot disparage his experience because they do not know. And, sorry, neither can Christians or anyone from any other religion. Despite what we have been taught or have come to believe, unless you yourself have experienced a bodily death and somehow returned, you just cannot say definitively what someone else went through. I know what chocolate smells like because I have experienced it. If someone tells me that it smells exactly like fish, I can say they are definitely wrong because I have personal knowledge, I didn't just read it somewhere. Same goes with the afterlife stuff. Some reviews or comments have an offended and/or angry tone. Why be angry? I believe in God. When I read something I am uncertain about; something that concerns me, I submit it to Him in prayer. I don't get angry and write mean reviews.

I know two people who physically died, but returned. Most recently it was a friend with cancer who said that, upon dying, (and while his family was freaking out), God told him "It's not time yet." He went on to live about 6 weeks more. They were six of the most peaceful weeks he had ever lived. His experience showed him that life continues after this physical one is over. He didn't dream it. His heart stopped. His nurses resuscitated him. But whether or not you believe in any of this doesn't matter. All that matters is this: Are you interested in what THIS author's experience was? Then read the book. Do you think all this NDE or afterlife is a bunch of hooey? Then don't read the book. I hope this helpful. That was my intention.

P.S. Occult? I read someone refer to this book as occult in nature, saying that it goes against Biblical teaching. (Sigh), that is so disheartening. You shouldn't just say the Bible says this or that unless you really know what you are talking about. People seem to use it to say what they already believe, sometimes turning the Bible into a weapon. I respectfully advise others to actually read the Bible. It is CHOCK-FULL of what is so readily deemed occult these days. God speaking to us in dreams? The Bible is loaded with examples! A medium being consulted and channeling the dead? Try 1 Samuel 28. Ghosts? Apparently, even the disciples believed in them (i.e. Matthew 14:26 and Mark 6:49).And Jesus spoke with Moses ("dead") and Elijah ("dead") in Matthew 17. Oh, and rising from the dead? Ever heard of Lazarus? The only part missing is what Lazarus remembered of the experience.

Anyway, this book is simply for anyone interested in one man's experience and the way he remembered it.