Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18SW_gno

on April 18, 2015
This is a long and very powerful essay that hits with blow after blow. It is a classic in the field of human, civil rights and freedom. You may not agree with everything he wrote. After all, he was a man of his time too, just like the oppressors society seems very willing to excuse for that reason. But, this is a clarion call with no censor, no hesitation, no sparing of any group - especially including his own. Though it could have used some editing and there are parts you may find tedious as a modern reader, it is one of the best books I've read in its genre. I wish it were better known.
on February 21, 2008
David Walker Appeal

"Some of my bretheren don't know who Pharoah and Egyptians were. I know it to be a fact that some of them take the Egyptians to have been a gang of devils, not knowing any better, and that they (Egyptians) having got possession of the Lord's people treated them nearly as cruel as Christian Americans do us, at the present day. For the information of such, I would only mention that the Egyptians, were Africans or coloured people, such as we are - some of them yellow and others dark - a mixture of Ethiopian and natives of Egypt - about the same as you see the coloured people of the United States at the present day."

"The English are the best friends the coloured people have upon earth though they have oppressed us a little and have colonies now in the West Indies, which oppress us sorely. Yet notwithstanding they (the English) have done one hundred more for the melioration of our condition, than all other nations of these earth put together. The Blacks cannot but respect the English as a nation, not withstanding they have treated us a little cruel."

When I read this passage, I was like "what in the hell is he talking about!" I must remind myself of the world in which he lived, and he probably had to kiss a little butt, though he did let the truth be known by saying "a little cruel." What is a little cruel?

I would encourage everyone to read, though I did not appreciate Sean Wilentz's introduction. I found his words to be annoying, laced with subtle racism. I would suggest ignoring his writing completely and go to the real text of David Walker.

I give Mr. Walkers Appeal 5 star. It took incredible courage as a black man in 1829 to write these words, though he died suddenly and mysteriously. I am sure he was poisoned.
on February 24, 2016
The contents of this treatise are important and valuable. However, the Kindle formatting is not; footnote citations interrupt the body of the text, there are numerous typographical errors in regards to both formatting and content, and at the points where the text has been amended there is insufficient annotation. The text seems as it it was run through OCR and then minimally tweaked to provide a slight revision, but left without sufficient editing to do justice to the topic. In addition, even basic formatting like a table of contents, a functioning title page, and division of the content into the four articles (chapters) of which the treatise consist are all lacking. Try the print version instead.
on December 7, 2017
Sit read, study, share. Wake up my brothers and sisters! This purchase was worth every dime, enlightenment is priceless!
on April 18, 2011
Given the historical timeframe surrounding these writing - the founding of the nation and the expansion of slavery in the country, David Walker's Appeal reflects the mind of a man, who was highly educated in the classics and in the Christian faith. His passion for the liberation of slaves is evident, and his prophecy of imminent judgment for their enslavement is clear. I believe that the thoughts contained in these writings have profoundly influenced protest among African Americans since that time. I find that David Walker's Appeal is both historic in its message of freedom for the slaves, and prophetic in the coming judgment of the nation as a result of the enslavement of his fellow African Americans. I believe that these writings are critical to a proper understanding of American history.
on April 19, 2017
great historical texts
on September 15, 2016
Where's The Book?! There is nothing there to read!, not one page of the book! I paid for nothing!!! This is the biggest outrage ever! I am very disappointed!
on February 28, 2016
A must read piece of historical social justice literature that is still very relevant today.
on January 10, 2017