Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 19 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 27 reviews
on December 30, 2008
This is the book on Chinese cooking that I have been looking for. All the dishes you love to eat in the restrauants, and for take out. Wonderful for those of us with no take out worthy of eating. Easy and flavorfull. The cover recipe is delicious... Kung Pao Chicken. Mongolian Beef is divine, but you need to double or triple the sauce. Lemmon Chicken is easy and fantastic as is the Shrimp with Zucchini and Sweet Red Peppers. They are all here..Orange beef, Pepper Steak, Chicken with Cashews, Moo Goo gai Pan, Pot stickers, Mu Shu Pork, and all are tasty and easy to make in an American kitchen. No pretenses to be authentic. Just extremely good American Chinese.... Like P.F.Chang's... I can't reccomend it highly enough.
on February 8, 2013
I have had this book for over a year and I am very happy with it. Admittedly, I usually make the same recipes--kung pao chicken, orange peel beef, fried rice. I particularly enjoy the vegetables, and I use those recipes whether or not my main course is Chinese. The Mongolian beef was a disappointment. On the other hand, when I made the lions head meatballs for the first time, I thought they were delicious. In every recipe I usually decrease the sugar and add more green onion and more hot pepper, just because that's the way I cook. We live in an area where there is not much good Chinese food. When we eat out, my family says my cooking (from this book) is as good as or better than what we get in the restaurant.
on October 19, 2009
After making several recipes from this cookbook, I am very happy that I purchased it. My first try was sweet and sour pork and we really enjoyed it. That was followed by orange beef which was also a big hit. Some might complain that these recipes are not completely authentic. For example, neither the sweet and sour pork nor the lemon chicken are breaded and deep fried. Instead they are sauted in the wok, but I found the result delicious. I think the goal is to make preparation simpler and the result healthier and I prefer them this way so it really isn't a negative for me.

Though there are only 70 recipes, they include good suggestions for beef, chicken, pork, shrimp, fish, and vegetable side dishes. The recipes are illustrated with beautiful color photograpy and most of the ingredients can be found in a good chain grocery store with an international aisle. A few things, for example Asian vegetables such as bok choy, will be found more easily or more cheaply at an Asian grocery if you have one nearby. If you don't, substitute napa cabbage for bok choy and young string beans for long beans and the result will still be very tasty.
on February 11, 2013
My wife and I have owned the author's "Quick and Easy Thai" for quite a while and really like it, so we were excited to buy this book. It's not bad, but not as good as the Thai book. We're not sure what's missing or different, but it's not the same. We have found recipes we like, but not as many as in the Thai book. In the Thai book, we liked nearly everything we tried. That's not the case here. It's still a worthwhile book, so I've given it 4 stars. I guess it's just a little disappointing in comparison to the exceptional Thai book.
on March 22, 2012
My husband loves Chinese food, but I don't like indulging in the high calorie dishes sold in restaurants all the time. I was thrilled to find this book on amazon and I am quite pleased with it. Many of my husband's favorite dishes can be found in this book and I can control the ingredients and avoid frying everything and covering it in a sticky sauce. We have tried the sesame beef so far and I added vegetables to the recipe and served it over brown rice. It was divine. Very very flavorful. We are excited to try all of the recipes in the book, as I don't see a single one I'm not interested in. Thanks!
on July 30, 2013
I have never been able to make decent Chinese food at home until I discovered this cookbook. Exactly what I was looking for. Have only tried two dishes thus far (Orange Beef and Kung Pao Chicken) and they were both better than expected and better than I can get at local Chinese restaurants. I now own McDermott's Quick and Easy Thai and Vietnamese Cookbooks, and look forward to sampling more of these recipes. Perfect for quick, tasty weeknight meals.
on February 17, 2014
not only are these recipes easy and can be readily produced at home, they are EXCELLENT.so simple and yet so good. and i am a retired chef from an upscale restaurant.
on February 21, 2013
My sister in-law had wanted to learn to cook chinese food and we have both enjoyed making the recipes in this cookbook. It has an easy to follow instructions.
on December 7, 2009
I was looking for a cook book to gift. Naturally being very up-to-date I wanted a new ones with lots of pretty pictures. When I first picked it up it was like a book, it even has flaps to mark your page(very handy). The recipes are light and delicious. I would recommend it for anyone who likes Chinese food.
on February 6, 2011
I have made just a few recipes from this cookbook so far, but I've really enjoyed them. I tried a great asparagus recipe and and the lemon chicken is fabulous! Nothing has been too hard to make. I would highly recommend this cookbook.