Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Just Between Us: Mom & Daughter: A No-Stress, No-Rules Journal
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now STEM

Format: Diary|Change

on May 31, 2014
I am nineteen, and I recently bought this book for my mom for mother's day. She was completely stunned and thrilled by the idea of a mother-daughter journal. We have already written in a couple of the beginning entries each which ask things like-"Favorite song..." and "Favorite thing to do with mother/daughter...," and filling out these random but entertaining questions is a great way to start the journal as well as dive into the more thoughtful questions which involve things like first memories.

After reading several of the customer reviews of this book, I was a little hesitant to buy it because most of the reviews involved the daughters being no older than twelve. But I assure every mother and daughter that this is a great book for older ages as well as long as the mother and daughter are close-such as is my experience. Even though I am nineteen, this book does not seem childish or the entries forced because we enjoy having this new ability to bond. It also seemed personal at least for us since I write stories, so this was like offering a branch of my life to my mom who doesn't really share in this part of my life.

It is also great because it allows for very short yet heartfelt entries which do not take much time to complete. Another wonderful feature of this book is that is helps both the mother and the daughter relive memories as well as share each other's. It is both light and entertaining which allows for a good distraction and escape from the hassle and occasional chaos of the world. The best part of this book, though, is that it lets mothers and daughters share in one another's lives as well as create new memories and stories together.

I highly recommend this book to any mother and daughter team wanting an excuse or way to bond. Some of the questions, such as the ones which involve dating, do seem meant for children probably no younger than six, but there are many more fun entries and activities such as guessing and drawing which items are in the other's purse/bookbag. They also involve future advice for dating, so these questions may seem a little late for teenagers and older daughters. Yet, I found this book to overall be a wonderful idea as well as an outlet, and I applaud the mother-daughter team who began this journal. It is truly a great buy!
0Comment| 147 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 10, 2011
My daughter and I actually started journaling eachother recently. Just in a plain ole' composition book. She writes in it before she goes to bed and slips it under the door. I get a HUGE smile on my face whe I see it laying on the ground right outside her door. Then I write her before I head to bed and slip it back under her door. In the morning I hear her grab it and crawl back under her covers in bed to read it. I love it. Its one of my favorite parts of the day.
Today while I was shopping my sister pointed out this book... I AM SO HAPPY SHE did!!! I am in LOVE with it! It takes what my daughter and I were already doing to a WHOLE NEW level! Its so super cute. It has quitionares you can fill in and just fun things you would never think to write to your daugher, its perfection on a page let me tell you.
I feel like buying 100 of them and passing it out to perfect strangers!!! I can't recommend this enough!!!!! Don't let another day pass.. get it today!! xox
33 comments| 243 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 24, 2010
I strongly believe mother-daughter book clubs are a great way to get moms and daughters talking about all kinds of topics. This includes sharing fun stories as well as having conversations about topics that may be awkward if they were brought up out of the blue, but are easier broached when talking about something you read.

Now comes a new tool for the two generations to communicate about many different issues. It's called Just Between Us: a No-stress, No-rules Journal for Girls and Their Moms by mother-daughter team Meredith and Sofie Jacobs. I've seen more one-sided journals that grandparents or parents fill out to help their children find out more about their lives growing up, but this is the first time I've seen an interactive journal for two.

Some pages are labeled for the mother to fill in, like the one with the questions, "What I wanted to be when I grew up" and "What really happened when I grew up and why." The daughter's corresponding page asks for her to write about three things she might want to be when she grows up and why.

The topics cover so much--school, family, careers, personal likes and dislikes--and there are also plenty of pages where either or both journalers can write about whatever they'd like to talk about. Just Between Us could be fun as an activity for the moms and daughters on their own, or as part of a book group. As part of book group, you may want to define in advance which pages you'll share in a meeting. That way everyone will know that some pages may contain public thoughts while others will be kept private. I recommend Just Between Us for girls aged nine and up.
on February 22, 2016
Lately, my daughter's been using nothing but scowls, eye rolls and door slams to communicate with me. I didn't have high hopes for this journal, but figured if nothing else my daughter would fill in HER part, even if she didn't want to involve me. It turns out she has a lot to discuss with me. I guess the book gives her the safety of distance. She not only immediately started filling in her personal info, but started asking me questions, on paper, about personal problems she's been having at school. I'm not sure my answers are helping her much, but she keeps writing and leaving the journal for me to respond in, which is a good sign. If you have a tween girl who's become almost unrecognizably crabby and sullen, I say give it a try. It may turn out she wants you in her life more than she's letting on.
on January 26, 2011
This is a fantastic journal. All pages on the left side of the journal are for the mother and all the pages on the right side are for the daughter to fill in. Some of the pages are blank for generic entries and many of the other pages ask very interesting specific questions. Questions include topics from the past, ideas for the future, many lists of favorites, and so much more. My daughter is 9 years old--but I can also see this working for daughters of all ages. Makes for great conversation. Also comes with 2 attached silk bookmark ribbons (different colors), I pick a page out for my daughter and she picks a page out for me. I could see doing another journal like this again as she gets older. What a great communication tool.
on March 29, 2016
I bought this for myself and my almost 11 year old. The book is aesthetically pleasing and the cover has a nice feel to it.
I read through the book and I'd like to highlight some fantastic things right off the bat....
1- Questions or topics are suitable for a wide array of ages. Many are "too big" for my 11 yr old but many are perfect. I bought the book in the hopes that we can write in it throughout the years...so this is perfect! I can see us writing in it tonight and throughout her high school and college years. I'll write a couple topics/questions for some examples-
-Here's the story of the most embarrassing thing that happened to me in school and how I got through it...
-Before I fall asleep, I think about...
- my biggest regret...
2.The size is perfect
3. It comes with two attched, ribbon, bookmarks. One for mom and one for daughter.

So, happy customer here... You can't beat the price for this adorable journal.
review image review image review image review image
on January 7, 2016
Having a teenage girl can be challenging at times. There are so many emotions and teenage girls often experience what I would consider an identity crisis around 7th grade. I purchased this because I was looking for a way to better communicate with my daughter that would allow her to write all of her feelings down. Sometimes we may not say what it is that we feel, but we might write down our exact feelings. In addition, I think writing allows you to process and record all of your thoughts and you are not interrupted by the other person. In going through a divorce, I thought It was imperative for me to find a way that she could express herself freely. This journal did just that. It also provides you with topics or what I would consider ice breakers to help you ease into different and difficult conversations. She has enjoyed using this book and I believe that this has allowed our relationship to grow and we are much closer than before. My daughter is 13, however I would recommend this book for all ages just as long as they can write and understand. This book has also made having conversations in person much easier because I now have an understanding of her feelings. I would highly recommend this book…especially for teenagers!
on April 2, 2015
I will forever look back on the week my daughter and I started this journal as the week our relationship changed. My daughter is a quiet, introverted girl whose answer to "how was school?" Is always "fine." This journal started a new, wonderful relationship for us full of open communication. Now if she didn't have a good day at school she might come home and say "mom, something happened at school today, maybe we can talk in private?" There's a great mix of fun, silly questions and a few more serious questions. You have to buy it!
on October 16, 2015
I bought two of these - one to share with each of my two daughters (ages 8 and 10). I really wish I would have just used a normal notebook because this isn't serving my intent. I wanted my girls and I to start writing in a journal while they were little and continue on as we all get older. I thought it would be a fun way to interact and capture these moments in time in a meaningful way.

Maybe it's just me, or the content is meant for older daughters, but the writing prompts are not interesting to us. I don't have "favorites" and find it annoying and irrelevant to talk about my favorite songs, movies, etc. Of course this is all about sharing, and there are many opportunities on the blank pages where there is no writing prompt, but nothing is very intimate or enlightening.

Another reason I bought this book was because I thought it would help my girls if they had a safe place to write any problems they might be having. Like a diary, but mom can read and respond. There are going to be times when something is difficult to discuss or I am not available and I wanted them to be able to share it with me in writing.The entire format of this book is not conducive to conversation, it always feels more like "all about me" then "all about you".

We are still using this journal, and filling it to the best of our ability, but I'm thinking of getting some notebooks and using those for my original intent.

My final comment is that this book should have a notebook-style coil binding.
on June 12, 2012
I really like this journal! My daughter and I have been writing back and forth in it for a few weeks. It's been great to say things to her and learn things about her
that I might not have otherwise. It's a fun idea, and for a kid especially, I think it makes certain conversations easier. Good stuff!