Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

Classic Human Anatomy: The Artist's Guide to Form, Function, and Movement
Format: Hardcover|Change

on October 17, 2016
If I could rate higher than five stars, I would!

Over the years, I've collected TONS of anatomy books in an attempt to improve my figure drawing skills. The figure is one of my absolute favorite things to draw. As I'm working on écorché for an anatomy class I'm taking, so I finally pulled this book off the shelf (I've had it since January, 2016). As I worked through the bones and muscles in the section on the torso, I had to pause and get up to write this review because there is no doubt. This is THE best book on anatomy that I've ever studied. And of all the books that I have on my shelf (more than two rows on a large shelf)! I've always wondered what happens to this bone or that bone and this muscle or that muscle when the person is in a position other than standing with weight distributed on both feet. I haven't gone through all sections, but in the torso section, the author illustrated movement showing the bones and/or muscles and how they act in that movement. I've attached a couple of pictures, one of the clavicle and its movement and the other of the muscles of the scapula and how they react.

If anyone else is like me and wondered these things, this book is a must-have for figure drawing enthusiasts! With that said, it's not for the beginner. It focuses more on how bones/muscles work together and what's going on under the skin than it does on actual drawing assignments like many of the other books that I have. They served their purpose. This book builds on the skills acquired from the how-to-draw books and/or classes. However, if you purchased it and you're a beginner, and you feel it's not a good purchase for you, for whatever reason, I'd suggest that you keep it, if you plan to continue studying the figure because one day soon, this book will be a precious gem in your collection. If you are seasoned but looking for "something more", this book is definitely a great buy.
review imagereview image
13 people found this helpful
on April 28, 2017
This book is amazing. I had to stop what im doing and write this review. Im only half way through and I have already learned so much and im not necessarily a beginner when it comes to anatomy. Everything is very much in depth and to the point. Pretty much anything an artist has ever wondered about the human figure and how to compose it is in this book. Definitely recommend it.
5 people found this helpful
on September 8, 2017
I just got this book and havent read it yet but I skimmed through it just to get a feel for it and i fell in love. Get this book if you want to learn proportions and how each muscle moves. I know this book will help me advance my drawing skills. Also the book contains a glossary in the back which is very cool.
review imagereview imagereview image
on October 3, 2014
Valerie Winslow's masterpiece of human anatomy is exactly what I needed to relearn human anatomy. I wish this marvelous resource had been available fifty years ago. The illustrations are stunning, and the detail is just right. While I need to understand what I am seeing, I do not need to be able to perform microsurgery.

Now, a word about the illustrations: Cut them out of the book, frame them, and hang them all over your studio, just in case you ever forget what a fine drawing should look like.
on August 2, 2013
Arguably, one of the most common obstacles an artist faces when attempting to record the world around them is the fact that it is constantly moving. More often than not, the subject will defy the artist's wants and succumb to change instead.

I found this guide particularly helpful for that problem as it not only illustrates how something looks, but why it looks the way it does. The human body is presented in such a way that it is not only a shape to be copied down onto a piece of paper, but an intricate mechanism that can be understood and predicted--regardless of all the ways it may move and change. It offers an amazing amount of anatomical knowledge and suggests the infinite ways such knowledge can be used expressively, blurring the line that is often drawn between art and science.

Obviously, I am very pleased with my purchase. I would recommend it to anyone looking to better understand the human form and the way it interacts with its ever-fluctuating environment, and I would especially recommend it to artists looking to turn that knowledge into something beautiful.
5 people found this helpful
on July 22, 2015
Excellent book for any medium of artistic achievement. The Human Anatomy is a beautiful structure for any artist to master. This book goes in-depth with allowing you to build you're conscious awareness about drawing, painting, sculpture etc.
on September 28, 2013
I have been lucky enough to have her as my artistic anatomy instructor and have been thoroughly enjoying her teaching methods and incredible insight on the subject. She told us we should get an anatomy book to help reference parts when we work on drawing them at home, I saw she had this book and wanted it instantly. I am an animator and seeing how she logically presents anatomical movement has been a priceless reference. She fantastically marks out and shows how bones and muscles shift in each pose that they can reach to further convey understanding of what is happening underneath the form.
2 people found this helpful
on June 21, 2017
I needed to study human anatomy for class next semester and even though I have several anatomical books similar to this one they seem to lack in depth knowledge which I was after as a visual artist and this book did just that.
One person found this helpful
on December 12, 2011
First of all, i'm extremely exigent with quality in general, so i often rate something 3 stars while people rate it 5 stars, i don't forgive anything but extreme quality. Secondly, i'm studying and practicing anatomy since 2008 so i have an idea of books and tutorials on anatomy.
So, the review is this: I cry (well, no literally :)) of hapiness when i study and practice from this book since is just how a book on this topic should be. It contains all the information one might need, and a lot more so you can end up with a very solid and well rounded knowledge about anatomy.
This book is A MUST. If you are wondering about it...stop and buy this and have it for ever with you, you won't regreat it, i bet you 100 bucks ;)
thanks to the author for this, and for a price that is a joke, this book worth the money and more.
on November 25, 2017
A very nicely elaborated book! I have wanted an American Art book, since I missed the Scientific side of it, and this book portrays that! Thanks AMAZON for being there for me, when I need these things that I don't have in Europe! I love you!