Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 40 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 48 reviews
on May 2, 2016
I used this book for my Theory class in a CACREP program. Overall, it was a decent book packed with a lot of relevant information. However, the book was VERY dense. I think Sharf could have made the book much more concise by eliminating or consolidating some sections, particularly the last sections in every chapter (such as the "gender" and "multicultural" sections). Regardless, I will definitely use this as a reference when I'm studying for the NCE.
on May 30, 2014
Full disclosure: I don't have a lot to compare this to. The book does cover the major theories of counseling from a Western historical perspective, and is fairly comprehensive and very simple to read/navigate. I bought the Kindle version, which I'd highly recommend (but note that some sections were removed in the Kindle ver. due to "copyright" issues). The book does have a chapter at the end discussing "other therapies", which acknowledges the lack of coverage of more recent developments as well as the "Asian therapies". There's a LOT of over-generalization in the latter category, unfortunately. The writing quality in the last few chapters declines noticeably, and is sometimes almost shockingly bad - not sure if these were written by a different contributing author?
on June 12, 2017
needed for class, brand new, still in packaging
on March 24, 2017
good
on September 20, 2017
Not what I thought it was.
on February 7, 2016
I was terrified to learn about theories in grad school as I didn't think I'd grasp the concepts easily. This book makes it so easy and I love reading about the theorists! Would definitely recommend.
on January 31, 2010
The book is lengthy, but it isn't a real difficult read. The problem I have is that Amazon said I needed to buy it new because a used book would not have the CD or the activities in the back of the book. I bought it new and there is no CD with this book. I have purchased from Amazon in the past (used books) and have never seen that warning so I didn't think it was there regular disclaimer. So be aware that you may get that disclaimer, it doesn't mean there is a CD at all. I spent an extra $40 for a CD that didn't even exist.
on January 23, 2014
The layout of this textbook is harder to read on the kindle version than other textbooks I've gotten. The font size is too small and you can't adjust it, since the text only takes up 2/3rds of the page. It makes is so i have to zoom in on each page individually, which is fine, but a little annoying. However the content of the book is interesting. My complaints have nothing to do with how the book is written.
on April 18, 2016
Using this as a text for a graduate level class. Text is well-organized and presents numerous theories of psychotherapy and counseling in a way that is interesting even to others who aren't studying psychology.
on March 3, 2017
I just wish the chapters were not so wordy.