Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: selected unpublished blog posts of a mexican panda express employee
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEM

on June 4, 2015
So this is nominally what might be called part of the movement "The New Sincerity," if it's a movement; it's less of a movement, though, and more of a general disposition toward simplicity, candor, glumness/dark humor, and a preoccupation with smartphones/the internet.

That kind of stuff is not usually my kind of thing, but a friend recommended this and I absolutely loved it. Everything I mentioned above is rendered into a genre-blurring book between poetry and fiction narrated by the titular employee; it's short, extremely ruthless, extremely funny, and with a minimum of means manages to leave you with a big knot in your chest as the book begins to shut down.

And "shut down" is my only complaint: since it's "sort of" fiction, the book lacks any kind of resolved ending, though that's not really a problem if you look at it more as poetry than fiction. In any case, if you're a fan of older minimalists (this book especially reminded me of another favorite, Mary Robison's novel Why Did I Ever, which you should check out if you like Boyle, Tao Lin, Mira Gonzalez et al.), this is worth checking out, especially for the price.
on July 19, 2014
It didn't give me the sort of angry disefranchisement over 'trying-too-hard' that I get when I read a lot of 'alt-lit' stuff. It's the only book in Muumuhouse's store labeled as prose, but it felt like poetry to me.

I think the most important quality of Megan Boyle's writing is that she's observant. Anyone can be in a room and transcribe their thoughts, then call that poetry, then call that 'alt-lit', then call that 'something worth reading', but there's a distinguishing quality in this book that I really enjoyed. It did feel sort of like the internet literally translated into a physical medium, but I sort of liked that. The only difference between the internet and books is the delivery mechanism. When you hold something in your hand, it feels more tangible, mostly because it is, literally.

Anyway. This book was good. I'd recommend it. I felt a vague sense of sadness upon completing it because I wanted to read more. I feel like it could go on forever, or at least until the author dies. It probably will, in some sense.
on March 2, 2014
I don't really want to say that I'm obsessed with this book, but I think I'm obsessed with this book. First of all, I don't know s*** about poetry, but this didn't feel like poetry. The book is like a diary. Some of the entries are just random, stream of consciousness statements. Some of the entries are more focused like "everyone i've had sex with" (published on thought catalog first, if you want a taste).

All of her statements are (mostly) funny, confessional, true, insightful, and surprising. It's like a collection of unrelated things that sum up to what it's like to be a 20-something. Some of the "posts" are really thoughtful, and some are more boring, unimportant details and thoughts of her life. But they're all thrilling to hear, because it's like looking into the deepest recesses of someone's mind. Honestly almost every page was bookmarked because I liked something on it. What I like about Megan Boyle's writing is how open she is. Not just in that she will say things that people may not normally share (or know how to put into words), but that it's all simply stated and clear. Her voice is mesmerizing and hard not to love entirely. It's very relatable, but that also makes some parts of the experience reading this difficult. Though she is funny and genuine, some of the things she says are troubling. Like many 20-somethings, she is disaffected and lost to an extent. Overly curious, self-aware, and depressed. It's hard to see her like that and see her talk about it so bluntly, because it's hard to see some of those things in myself. But I'm glad she was the one who made me look. And she made me feel hopeful.

I read this in July and it took me a while to review it, because I wasn't really sure how to do it justice. While reading it, I kept forcing people to read pages of it that I liked. After reading it, I kept trying to force it on other people. This is me virtually trying to force it on to you, because I think it's worth the time.
on May 16, 2015
Megan magical spell casting blue mage style inner recesses of thought forms chosen randomly and shared freely Boyle is worth reading. She embraces life, trees, fungi and pie. Top level play at work with a wit and whimsy that will have you laughing out loud and showing your buddies her charming and open style. Good form. Hare Krishna.
on May 6, 2014
This book as a kind of unforced deconstruction of certain "first world lol" ideas and societal constructions about gender, body, media, consumerism etc. A neat (maybe challenging for some) read for those who want/need this type of prose/poetry/new-poetry/new or "alt" lit? I have found myself going from squeamish to deep personal understanding to laughing out loud all on the same few pages.
I am a follower of M Boyle's writing on the various web locations, and am eagerly waiting for her to produce another "artifact of hand & shelf"? I am looking forward to re-reading this book in forty years and quietly smiling at our 2k millennium newnesses.
on January 14, 2013
Breezy, straightforward expression of many thoughts. At times reminiscent of thoughts I sometimes have (which I guess is sort-of a relief), and at times not. That's to be expected, though; people aren't usually exactly the same as other people.

Often funny, which I think is the key to adopting the spare Gmail-draft writing style that seems so prevalent in certain interesting corners. It's nice to see that sort of writing given literary form, as it's (a) so often the vehicle for my/our?/someone's extra-literary communication with other humans; (b) weirdly conducive to the single-line-longevity and disconcerting inconsistency of many thoughts/lines of thought. In other words, it lends itself well to thinking weird thoughts about the weirdness of a previous thought, which is something (it seems) that other people do a lot too.

This book is pleasurable enough and more importantly it might be useful in certain ways. I will probably give it to lots of people.
on April 6, 2013
I enjoyed the raw, honest vulnerability of Megan. She expresses thoughts that seem to come from a personally familiar perception or frame of mind. At times, the I-don't-give-a-s***, conversational prose — with no commas or capital letters — can become a bit annoying, but, just as you're about the put it down and reach for a cigarette, Megan comes through and says something uniquely sincere that, in a strange way, satisfies a craving. We live in a time where writers feel the need to be ironically humorous hipsters and while Megan sometimes uses those notions as comic relief, her writing is refreshingly truthful. I'll be excited to read what she does next.
on January 16, 2012
This book caught my eye while i was looking at the new miranda july book. The cover looked interesting, i guess. I bought it not really knowing what it was, and luckily, i am a fan of free form and existential poetry.
It's both very easy and somewhat difficult to describe what you will find in this book. It's kind of like opening up the authors head and reading their thoughts, unfiltered and completely honest. Sort of like a stream of consciousness style. It's very minimalistic as well. There are no page numbers, but i'd guess its around 80 or 90 [it's a very small book, but one that i would recommend reading slowly.] Most of the titles are just dates. I think it accomplishes what it sets out to do, even if thats just be openly honest with a stranger [you, the reader.]
some of the things you will read about will include the various people the author has had sexual relations with, and how she feels about them at the time of writing. various 'bits' that would be accurately regarded as facebook status updates or tweets that were typed, and not published, but saved anyway. or even brief diary entries.
if you want to escape from your mind for a minute and see and think about life through someone elses eyes, i would greatly recommend this little gem to you. it might come off as a little contrived or even 'hipster', but that's okay. everyone is a little flawed sometimes.
on June 18, 2012
i liked reading this short book, if you could call it that. i didn't really know anything about megan boyle before i read bought this, except that she was involved with tao lin (who i like). it didn't take me very long to read as it is very short. some of the writings were very entertaining and fun to read like the ones about her lies and her embarrassing moments. would recommend
on August 11, 2013
this book made me feel like i could be a writer too. that i have thoughts just as funny and valid that could maybe be worth writing. that i should try writing. it looked like it would be fun to write down these weird thoughts.

this is a punk rock book