Lyft Industrial Deals HPC Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on July 14, 2017
I am going to have to disagree with a lot of the positive reviews of this book. This was required text in not one but two grad level classes for mental health counseling. While I typically have positive comments related to the Coreys; this text is garbage. Constructively speaking, the book--for a 9th edition--is severely unorganized. While it reads less like a traditional textbook, it appears more random and stream-of-consciousness than any text I have ever read. The bulk of the chapters all the seem the same. I tend to read and use a highlighter for important parts; I rarely highlighted. It just drolls on and on never really making much of a point. I found myself having to highlight entire paragraphs to make sense rather than simply using one or two well-written sentences. I honestly felt like they had asked the authors to give an impromptu speech about group therapy and they simply had someone transcribe whatever they said. Occasionally, in a later chapter, it seems like they will simply make a comment about something they discussed and forgot to mention earlier. The text does present some interesting group formats for specific populations but they seem a little too specific for use in an introductory group text. While this was required for me, a much better text is Gerald Corey's Group Techniques (I read the 3rd edition). This book is about 1/4 of the length and is very succinct and better written. If you have a choice in the matter, go with the Group Techniques book rather than this mess. Noted are that the Group Techniques does not address community or school groups where as this text does. You're not missing much though.
on September 26, 2016
When reading the reviews for this textbook, I found a lot of people received a photocopied version and had a bad experience. I received the correct hardcover version in a timely manner. The textbook is well written and has a lot of great information. It also gives clear explanations of each topic discussed. Overall, I found this was a great textbook for any group counseling class.
on March 9, 2017
The Coreys always write a user friendly text. I enjoy when they put a sentence in first person so it feels like they are speaking to you and feel "real".
on November 30, 2016
The book served its purpose. However the condition of the book did not justify the price I paid to rent. Some of the pages were loose and eventually a good chunk of pages came out so it was a hassle making sure I kept all the pages together. Eventually I stopped using it. I'll be returning this but a chunk of pages are not attached to the book anymore.
on May 10, 2016
This is the most comprehensive and complete book for group counselors. The writing is interesting and less like a textbook and more genuine. If you work with groups, this is a must for your personal library!
on April 2, 2015
Ok This book has a lot of extra that doesn't need to be there. This version compared to my other classmates is almost twice the thickness. I'm still not sure how they got that much extra but i can say that the wording in the book is defiantly has more words than needed to get a simple point across.
on June 13, 2014
I find the information very basic and not quite astute when it comes to the cultural diversity that therapists will need to truly be affective in group therapy.
on April 1, 2017
Great book for group therapy. Good resource to keep in your library.
on February 6, 2017
Book has tons of writing and stains that have me pulling pages carefully to flip the pages.
on September 19, 2016
I loved this book in understanding how to run groups. I love running groups and this helped to learn from. I was required to read for class but I believe that this book was good base for learning about groups. Groups is about being present and the interactions between people in the group. The book does a good job of discussing the ground rules for group.