Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CMA Fest Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on August 1, 2014
Newly pregnant, like this book's author, I am in search of a decent pregnancy book and this one has fallen very short of the mark. I feel badly for writing a review since I haven't read the entire book, but like "What to Expect When You're Expecting" I didn't feel it was worth my time and effort to even finish reading. While I found some of what I read humorous and frank, and I understand that the author is not a medical professional, I found little relevant information in what I read. I toughed it out but when the author admitted to lying to her healthcare provider for every single one of her pregnancies, I stopped reading.
4 people found this helpful
on November 12, 2014
Despite some negative reviews, I ordered this book anyway since I had skipped ahead and already read "The Girlfriend's Guide to the First Year" and I enjoyed that one. It seems like those reviews are pretty nit-picky, or else I'm just easy to please. I enjoyed the writing style of this book and it not being stuffy and clinical like all the others I've read about pregnancy. Aside from only a few more gory details I learned from my actual friends, I definitely learned a lot from this book and I'm glad I have it. Some of the info is dated since it is a fairly old book, but not a big deal. If you don't agree with some of the things she advocates, just do what your instincts tell you.
2 people found this helpful
on July 4, 2017
Best pregnancy book I've read to date! This is our first baby so we're reading everything we can get our hands on- brutally and beautifully honest advice on what to expect that isn't found in other books. It does have a very strong push for hospital assembly line births but we loved reading the book regardless
on April 7, 2013
Good stuff: She gives really good advice on certain topics such as not to be embarrassed or afraid of wasting your doctor's time. She helps explain how your relationship with your OB is very different from any other doctor. She is also very reassuring and helps you prepare for any number of gross and/or embarrassing issues that may come up during your pregnancy or delivery.

Bad Stuff: Oh boy does she have body issues!!!! There is barely a topic in the entire book that she doesn't relate back to the fact that you are fat and disgusting when you are pregnant. She herself went from a size four to a ten so she was hardly obese but she will simply not stop harping on how unattractive you are when you are pregnant. She also goes out of her way to let you know that not only she thinks pregnant women are by nature gross to look at but that your husband thinks you look gross. She describes her own husband as only having sex with her when she was bigger out of pity. She does include one brief blurb that some men might like the pregnant body shape and find it a turn on but it is written in a style that leaves no doubt that she finds this to be a rare and laughable quirk that some men might have. If she hasn't already managed to make you feel self conscience about your changing body there is a paragraph about how some men tend to cheat on their wives while they are pregnant if they aren't up for sleeping with their husbands or if their husbands can't stomach sleeping with a pregnant woman. Not just insulting to women but she reveals a very low opinion of men as well. Reducing them to bumbling creatures who are disinterested in their wives apart from a creature to have sex with and to have to put up with if she gets emotional.

Oh, and if you thought that maybe instead of getting neurotic about your increasing size and you would focus on your health, here she comes to shame you out of exercising. She seems to take this really personally. Only crazy people exercise. And if you exercise and something bad happens with your pregnancy you will always be haunted that you harmed your baby by exercising.

Overall:I know this book has been revised over the years but I think it needs a complete rewrite for the next generation (by a new author).
85 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on July 5, 2011
After 'morning' sickness, tiredness, and reading a ton of informational books on pregnancy, I was so scared and starting to re-think the decision to EVER have children. My friend recommended this book with a smile saying "it's funny" and she was right. This book had me laughing at 3AM when I couldn't sleep, during plane rides, and even just thinking about some of the things she writes.

Pregnancy can be such a scary time and knowledge of biology doesn't make it any easier. This book is enlightening and candid. One feels identified with the author and her girlfriends on the funny experiences during these trying time. My individual fears suddeny were not as bad as others and the realization that women have been doing this for hundreds of years and have been successful at it! sets in as I read her stories. I highly recomend it for new mothers and especially for older new moms that analyze eerything (like me)!
on February 1, 2011
Overall, this was a good read. It is filled with a lot of "down to earth" guidance and REAL things that you experience while pregnant. It also gave me some great things to think about after delivery. I was especially thankful for the list of items to consider taking to the hospital in my overnight bag. Some sections of the book left me laughing uncontrollably - nearly in tears. Other sections were so annoying that I wanted to skip them completely (I'm sure I left several pages unread in the end). Everyone has a different opinion about how they want to manage their birthing experience, breastfeeding, etc. The beauty about reading any of these guides is that you can decide what you like and don't like and move on. You're never going to find the 100% solution in one book, but you almost always take away some valuable bits of information to grow on. If I had it to buy again, I'd buy it used.
on February 21, 2018
Most of this book is awesome and I appreciate the writing style. However, some of the things she says about fathers and her husband especially make me sad. I can’t imagine staying married to a man who thinks your pregnant body is unattractive and that sex with you while pregnant is a chore. I also wish she would focus less on how fat you look during and after pregnancy. She tries to be a bit body positive by promising that you will lose the weight eventually, but this just further emphasizes that she thinks full figured women are less attractive. I wish she would modernize her views on how to be attractive.
on June 8, 2007
I got this book as a gift when I was expecting my first child. I have since given it as a gift to every newly pregnant woman I know. It is a funny read--the humor was very much appreciated while I dealt with bum issues and smell aversions and hormonal crying jags. The only thing I wish the author dealt with more was breastfeeding/preparing to breastfeed. I recall it being addressed as a good thing, but a real pain sometimes and that formula is just as good (along the lines of "we all turned out okay on the stuff, right?") which is not at all what a new mother needs to hear when she is contemplating/beginning nursing. I wish the author, if she didn't have firsthand experience or decided not to nurse herself, would have provided websites or other resources that would help Moms who do go that route. This also would have been a great moment to include a warm, humorous anecdote on breastfeeding and not be so blithe about it. I hope she addressed this in Guide to the First Year...
2 people found this helpful
on September 27, 2017
Such a refreshing book. I bought this back in 2003 when I was pregnant at 19 back when the internet couldn't provide all the answers it can now. Let me just tell you, this book was a lifesaver. I had no idea what to expect and this book talked about all of the taboo subjects that women just don't share with each other. I would have been lost without this!
on April 13, 2018
Good information, but the jokes and some advice seems very dated. (I'm 30yo with my first pregnancy) After halfway through I couldn't finish the book. I have loved and finished several other pregnancy books that didn't try as hard to be funny. So I had to look up the first publication date and it was in 1995. I don't think it's been updated since.
Belly Laughs is one that is actually entertaining, with some useful tips.