Salon Beauty Kindle 10th Anniversary Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ultimate Hits by Garth Brooks PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy The Walking Dead season 8 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on January 8, 2016
I don't know how to describe this book. I am an avid reader but have not read a lot of history because I never seemed to finish the books. I couldn't stop reading this one. Have you ever been so engaged that you walk and read and the same time? That you carry the book with you everywhere you go in the hopes you will have a spare minute to crack it open and absorb a few pages? Well this book did that for me. I did not think I would find John Adams compelling but the book won a Pulitzer and I had heard the hype so I thought "why not?". This book is very well written. It covers the scope of John Adams' life in it's entirety - with honesty and sensitivity. I was inspired by the genius cluster that founded our nation, the danger and uncertainty they went through with complete fortitude. This book is so relevant today because it helps us understand the thought and consideration Adams and other men went through when considering the construction of our government and their understanding of human nature that provided them the insight to create laws that to this day afford us the freedoms we enjoy. The topics of women's rights, slavery, military strength, the economy, immigration are all touched on as they had the forethought to understand what was coming. I wish there were more people serving in public office today like those original founders and especially John Adams.
on October 5, 2017
This is an extensive, scholarly book on the life and work of John Adams. Fortunately, it is also an enjoyable and informative work. I came to greatly appreciate the life and work of John Adams much more after reading this book. If you have watched the HBO miniseries on John Adams this is a must read, mostly because it gives you the actual facts of his life without the dramatic spin, which, in some cases, there are important differences.
on July 25, 2016
I enjoyed this book from start to finish! Not only is it a wonderful, thorough account of the life of John Adams, it illuminates the lives of many of the founding fathers (especially Thomas Jefferson) and other major participants in the American revolution and the formation of The United States. There is great detail about Adams' touching relationship with his wife Abigail and their children and grandchildren. As a Massachusetts resident who lives just a stone's throw from the battleground where the revolution's first shots were fired it was exciting to learn more about events that took place practically in my backyard. It has inspired me to go out and see these historic places with new eyes and greater understanding. I enthusiastically recommend this book!
on August 9, 2017
Gives me a new appreciation for Adams' part in our current system of checks-and-balances that seems to be working well to protect us at the moment. I learned a great deal about Adams friendship with Thomas Jefferson. I gained another viewpoint about Benjamin Franklin's time in France.
on April 7, 2017
I'm sad to finish this book. I loved getting to know John Adams, his family, and Thomas Jefferson. We look at our forefathers in awe, but they were just normal, very intelligent, sometimes opinionated and argumentative men.
on January 28, 2015
David McCullough's biography of our 2nd president is a well researched and thorough work. He chronicles John Adam's life from the attorney defending the British officers after the Boston Massacre, revolutionary as a member of the Continental Congresses, diplomat to France and the Netherlands, 1st Vice president of the US, 2nd President, and life thereafter. McCullough did not just document the historical facts but rather used a wealth of correspondence to relay the feelings of John Adams. This helped you really get a personal viewpoint of what John Adam's life was really like.

It was very interesting how he handled so many unprecedented events. As the 1st Vice President how should one conduct themselves? As there was no guide on what to do he actually presided over the Senate in most sessions! He won the first contested election for president and then had to figure out how to conduct oneself as the first president not to win re-election.

There isn't much I can say that the other 1000 reviews on this book haven't already said. I found it a great read, a good biography that really draws you into the life and times John Adams experienced.
on August 25, 2017
I am finding great comfort in reading the biographies of our greatest men who helped form and lead our country. In the hands of a skilled writer like David McCullough it is comforting to know that American did in her beginning produce such men of integrity and honor.
on March 3, 2017
This is one of the better introductions to a President I've had. Well written and easy to follow. Some parts tend to get a little bland, but that's the nature of a History book I suppose. This book taught me many things I would have otherwise not have known about our second President.
on October 7, 2017
McCullough has captured the essence of a man of character, principle and dedication who lived as he ‘preached’. A pleasure to read about someone so focused and dedicated to the ideals of American independence. Today’s purported leaders could learn a lot from his actions and mindset, despite the difficult and unjust treatment he received.
on January 27, 2017
I have a difficult time reading because my eyes don't focus well at the end of the day. I am very busy and find it difficult to find time to sit and read during the day. Having the book on Audible allows me to listen while I take my 2 mile daily walk. David McCullough brings history alive. Mornings on Horseback is another of his books that I highly recommend. My only disappointment was that some of the text was edited out and now I will have to go back to the book to read what was omitted. We are taking a trip to Boston this Fall and will definitely include a tour of Quincy in our itinarary.