Truck Reviews Beauty Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

VINE VOICEon June 24, 2010
I waited to write my review until I knew that I passed or failed NCLEX. Yes, I passed in 75 questions, even while a fire-drill bell was going off in the building. In part, I credit this book. I gave it 4 stars instead of 5, because it isn't a complete study program.

By no stretch of the imagination will this book totally prepare you for NCLEX. The new test is just, well, HARD! The real benefit to this book is the test-taking tips in the first couple of chapters. I wish I had been taught these things before starting nursing school, because those tips alone would have improved my test taking in school, when I needed to narrow down past the last two "good" answers.

The practice questions in this book, are far too easy to help you prepare for NCLEX. The questions in the Saunders book are too easy as well. What do I recommend? I took a computerized prep course with computerized testing that was DIFFICULT. I had the instructor "unlock" the rationales for me, so that I could see where my thinking was leading me astray. And, I used the techniques I learned from this book to hone-in on the correct answers. I also recommend doing as many "alternative format" questions as you can do, especially the "check all that apply." It seemed my test was nearly all of that style.

In the end,on the big day, I didn't get any drugs that I knew, and didn't get any of the diseases I had studied. It was all completely new, but armed with my rigorous OCD preparation, I was able to translate what I DID know, across to something I didn't know, and in part, I credit this book with helping me achieve my goal.

It's counterintuitive but, study hard, and if after the big day, you feel like you failed the hardest test in the world, and you knew nothing, you probably passed.

I wish you the very best of luck!
3 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on April 13, 2017
Great preparation book for the NCLEX. Probably the best out there. It goes over everything. You can't prepare yourself enough for that test in my opinion, this covers what you need. I passed on the first try with only 75 questions. Best of luck to everyone taking it!
on October 15, 2012
Buy this book if you need help with mastering the decision tree as taught by Kaplan. The decision tree is the critical thinking skill needed to pass NCLEX exam, which does not consider passing at knowledge and comprehension level questions, but at application and analysis levels. The decision tree helps you to understand and answer application and analysis level questions. This is NOT a content review book, so if you're buying it for content review, you'll be disappointed. Important to understand that it is to master the decision tree. Nursing schools test at knowledge and comprehension levels. So again, this book might not be as helpful during actual nursing school. Content review books like Saunders might be better for that.
I would have to say that students who wish to save themselves a lot of unnecessary stress through nursing school should also consider buying the RN course book from Kaplan AT THE START OF SCHOOL. It is basically your entire nursing school curriculum in a very structured package. A VITAL component of doing well both in nursing school and the NCLEX.
I wish someone had told me this when I was in school myself. But maybe this information will help those about to start or are already in nursing school now.
on July 27, 2010
I highly recommend this book to anyone taking the NCLEX-RN. It lays out the strategies on how to take the test and it also has plenty of practice questions in the book and on the CD-ROM, with rationales in the back of the book. It even gives you advice and tells you about what to expect on testing day and information on the licensure process. Reading through the book and using the practice questions really reduced my anxiety about taking the NCLEX and during the exam when I wasn't sure of the answer, I just carefully went through the strategies I learned from the book and it must have worked because I passed on the first try earlier this month with only 75 questions. It didnt mention anything about the recent changes to the NCLEX_RN exam, but later editions might. But this edition's still worth it for how it teaches you how to pick apart the questions and helping with critical thinking skills. I also used the saunders comprehensive review book and ATI review products.
on July 18, 2010
I followed every suggestion, started from page 1 and I am convinced this was the perfect choice in NCLEX review books!! I love the way it is written, I can relate to every scenario and tip it offers. I have taken each sample question and followed their advice. Now that I am almost finished with the book, I am able to answer most questions correctly. I am confident that by the time I sit for my NCLEX next summer, if I continue to quiz myself according to Kaplan, I will do very well! I have recommended this book to my classmates and I look forward to succeeding with them because of it!
One person found this helpful
on August 25, 2013
These were manufactured in 2009 for 2010-2011. They were outdated. If you need to prepare for the NCLEX-RN you should study with the most updated material that you can find.
on March 6, 2011
This book is terrible. I began to use it when studying maternity and pediatrics. It is very obvious that Kaplan is trying to make a quick buck on this book. For most subjects bits and pieces of information are thrown into a jumbled mess. The quality of the information is laughable. Perhaps the fact that this book is less than an inch wide should have been a clue to this... The questions are a joke. I can easily answer them without having ever reading a nursing book in my life so how would this help you on an actual nursing exam or the Nclex-rn is beyond me!

I HATE this book. It stays in a corner of my shoe closet. I wanted to make my money back from this purchase but can't bring myself into tricking another person into buying this useless piece of crap.

Try Saunders's or Mosby's.... these books give you actual nursing interventions and pathophysiology that you will use as a student and as an RN.
5 people found this helpful
on February 10, 2015
not a very easy to use book Silvestri is better.
on August 3, 2010
very good book!
Kaplan prep classes are so expensive, like $500 now. If you are on a budget, get this book, the "medications you need to know for the Nclex" book and then a question bank such as the "Nclex Rn 4000" and you will be good to go.
One person found this helpful
on August 31, 2014
would use a better review, stay with saunders is better